Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best look yet at what Spurrier does.

Art

Norv was the poster boy for a complicated offensive system that wasn't executed with precision on the field, outside of the first 6 games of 1999, there were too many mistakes to consistently win games.

I am not surprised that Spurrier concentrates less on the number of plays in the playbook and more on the execution of the basic plays he likes to run.

That repetition and 'second nature' quality of the play was what made the Redskins and 49ers so successful in the 1980's. If you stopped the plays it was because of great defensive execution, not because the offense blew an assignment.

Fortunately, Spurrier has a precedent that should help the team buy into what he's trying to do and that precedent is the St. Louis Rams.

If he can get a Defensive Coordinator he can trust to take care of his side of the ball, like Emmitt Thomas or Wade Phillips. He can be successful. Maybe not right away, because it could take time to get the QB or receivers he needs, but soon.

Wade Phillips. That's an interesting name. He has been out of the news since his interview with Marty last year.

He could be a DC the veterans on the team would respect for his record.

The only potential problem here is that Wade is probably looking for another HC job and Steve might not want too many 'short-timers' on his staff.

But then again, John Fox was rumored to be a HC candidate two years ago and he is still with the Giants. smile.gif

"Most of his backs catch 50 or 60 passes a year and most of his backs can make you miss."

This is the sort of statement that has me questioning whether or not Stephen Davis will be an integral part of the offense. Davis isn't a great pass catching RB. I hope I don't see him playing the "Ron Dayne" role here...

I don't have the stats in front of me but didn't Davis catch 30+ passes this season?

And didn't he turn a few of those screens into some long gainers?

He might not catch 60 passes a year like some other backs but few of them outside of the untouchables like Faulk, James, Martin, etc....run for 1,450 yards either smile.gif

If I'm SS (my permanent designation for Spurrier from here on out), I'm thinking of ways to spring my 235 lb. power back -- who also happens to have some speed and shiftiness -- into the secondary.

Besides the big-play potential, I'm guessing there arent' too many DB's out there who relish the idea of Stephen catching the ball on the move and heading their way.

I've got a strong hunch Davis' reception numbers, and kill shots, go up this year.

[edit: didn't see Buddha's post before writing this. Smart man, he. smile.gif ]

------------------

Marty Ball to Fireball.

[edited.gif by Om on January 15, 2002.]

Davis caught 48 balls in about two-thirds of a season as a fullback when Terry Allen was still Norv's RB. He catches the ball very well out of the backfield.

Lombardi was the most famous for running the same basic plays, but each one had a myriad of options that were decided upon as the play unfolded by the players themselves. That came from repetition in practice. One slight change in the position of one defenseman, and the players adjusted on the fly. It was incredibly complex for something that was so incredibly simple.

I heard on ESPN today, while at lunch in a sports bar, that the Gator's receivers caught more passes in 11 games than the Skins' did in 16.

Davis is considered a good screen back. He also has run swings. I haven't seen him run those patterns where he slips into the secondary (such as fullbacks and tes do). He may not make the difficult catch ala Larry Centers, but what you want to do is hit Davis with relatively easy to catch stuff with the secondary in front so he can run over those guys.

Catching pre-designed screens and safety-valve passes does not make a RB into a good receiver. Ricky Williams had 60 catches this past season--and I can confidently say that he's not a great pass-catching RB.

Someone like Spurrier wants a RB who can get beyond the line of scrimmage, fake out a LB who's covering him, catch the ball, and then quickly accelerate up the field. These are the qualities that make up a good receiving RB (like Tiki Barber & Marshall Faulk). Unfortunately, Davis is not one of these RBs.

Again, if Davis was considered a good receiver out of the backfield, why did he sit on 3rd & long?

Prediction: Davis' carries goes down significantly while Ki-Jana Carter (if he stays) gets a lot more playing time. Unlike Raye/Schottenheimer, Spurrier needs the versatility of a pass-catching RB on all downs, not just the 3rd.

I don't see a straight translation of a college gameplan to the pros. Spurrier is going to make changes based on who his quarterback is and based on the talent that is already here.

He will use Davis to maximum effect and develop a downfield attack to suit the rest of his game.

That is how the best coaches manage their personnel. And I don't expect Steve to be as rigid as Marty, ie it is THIS way or no way.

Ron Wolf said as much in his comments after Steve was hired. That adaptability is why Wolf thinks Spurrier WILL succeed at the NFL level while so many other college coaches have failed.

Great article. Tends to build up the confidence in Dan's decision to hire S.S. (i added periods Om. didn't want get in your space theresmile.gif) I too think Stephen fits well in this scheme. I still believe it was the presence of Big Country and the power running game that assisted Spurrier in his decision to take this job. Again, insert comments about money here if you feel the need.

the only thing attractive about the Carolina job was its proximity to Steve's extended family. smile.gif

the Panthers are basically an expansion team in terms of talent and need EVERYTHING. Even with the high draft pick, Carolina is going to be a sub 5 win team next year in any event.

Seifert mismanaged the cap his first two years and then scuttled the team the last two in an attempt to fill out the roster and stay below the ceiling.

when he did go back into free agency in 2001 he signed overrated Todd Steussie to a big contract the team is going to have to eat over the next couple of years.

And Chris Weinke? You might as well be starting all over again from square one.

Once Parcells became a shoe-in for the Tampa job, Spurrier was going to be a Redskin.

Think he wanted to go to San Diego and have another offensive rooster like Norv Turner in the hen-house as coordinator?

Perhaps the ideal fit for Spurrier in terms of talent would have been Indy. He had a prepackaged offense and just needed Polian to shore up the defense with a good draft and some mid-level free agents.

But it was Indy. And Irsay is cheap about paying coaches. There is no way he was going to spend $5 million on Spurrier or anyone else for that matter.

GD'it NavyMan. Go drink some kool-aid, or beer or whatever it takes, but p l e a s e never mention that name again with reference to our beloved Redskins.smile.gif

I would bet ANYTHING that he will not even be a blip on the Spurrier radar screen.

Archived