Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

keyshawn retires

I don't remember this revelation. What's the story?
Man it was crazy. I have a buddy that lives in Charlotte and he sent me the link to a story in the local paper there. On the L.A. riots Keyshawn admitted that he was a looter. “What we took, it wasn't so much a need. It was a want.” Great guy.

Man it was crazy. I have a buddy that lives in Charlotte and he sent me the link to a story in the local paper there. On the L.A. riots Keyshawn admitted that he was a looter. “What we took, it wasn't so much a need. It was a want.” Great guy.

That's amazing. Found a reference to the story, but you have to pay to get the article from the Observer. http://www.davesfootballblog.com/2006/06/keyshawn-johnson-gets-past-statute-of.html

I'm less surprised he participated than I am shocked he actually admitted it to a reporter.

In that same interview he described his mother: “She'll be at the games, and she'll be cussing out the other teams. She'll be at every single game, screaming and hollering, calling Foxy (coach John Fox) dumb, calling Dan Henning old, saying Jake Delhomme can't throw, saying "why do they give the ball to Steve Smith all the time?" Like I said, a helluva guy.

He caught 70 balls and over 800 yards last year. They just couldn't afford him after they signed Dwayne Jarrett.
The Panthers beat reporter sees it a different way.

http://www.charlotte.com/panthers/story/106563.html

The Panthers lost their next two games, which ended any opportunity they had to make the playoffs. The interception probably ended any opportunity Johnson had to remain a Panther. The team hung onto Keyshawn through last weekend's NFL draft; they couldn't cut him if they didn't add a receiver they believed could replace him. When the Panthers drafted Dwayne Jarrett of Southern California, Keyshawn's alma mater, Johnson became expendable, and on Tuesday Carolina cut him.

That's amazing. Found a reference to the story, but you have to pay to get the article from the Observer. http://www.davesfootballblog.com/2006/06/keyshawn-johnson-gets-past-statute-of.html

I'm less surprised he participated than I am shocked he actually admitted it to a reporter.

seemed like he was a kid in HS at the time. also, he does a ton of stuff for the community.

it wasn't like he was loading up the range rover with TVs to sell on ebay.

seemed like he was a kid in HS at the time. also, he does a ton of stuff for the community.

Keyshawn was 20 years old - hardly a kid. Keyshawn said he took what he wanted, not what he needed. His words. How do you know how much he took?

I'm not really sure what your point is. What do either of those things have to do with me being shocked that he admitted it to a reporter? Even if there's enough suspicion that it's virtually a known fact, you don't have to own up to everything in your past when you're a public figure (for example, I don't think Bush has ever actually admitted to using cocaine). And as Rocky pointed out, he was 20 years old and knew he would be a high draft pick multimillionaire soon enough.

And yes, he got much better as he got older in terms of being a team leader and positive figure in the community. All the more reason to keep those skeletons in the closet.

Got me thinking...

Not great stats, but the intangabiles he brings to the game, great perimeter blocker, mental toughness, durability, fearless. He will be missed. Bust, I think not.

Well people's perception of the word bust varies. In my opinion, if the reincarnation of keyshawn entered the next draft and the skins had the last pick in the first round, I would be furious if they drafted him at 32. That's my criteria of a bust for a 1st overall pick. I would prefer the skins take a shot on another prospect to picking a young,raw version of keyshawn if they had insight to the numbers ( or intangibles) he would put up over his career

A direst quote from Keyshawn on beautiful Southern California and what U.S. troops are currently going through:

“I've never been in a war or been in Iraq or Afghanistan, but from what I've seen in movies, it's almost like living over there and having to go through some of the stuff they do.”

What a maroon.

Archived