Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, let's say you came into $100K...

TradeTheBeal!

Hahaha. Sorry I hijacked your thread. Seriously, I might dabble a little bit with stocks but I think I'd use it to open up a business. Not positive what exactly, but I would like to build something from the ground up and make into a successful venture. That's just me though.

Got it. You need to open a x-rated car wash like the one IONTOP was talking about the other day. Better yet, make it a Brew Thru/x-rated car wash, with free lap dances. Put it right smack dap in the middle of Northern Va. so I can make it there on my days off.

You'll make millions.

Do it.

Got it. You need to open a x-rated car wash like the one IONTOP was talking about the other day. .

I like it when I see my name in all capital letters...

What would I do?

Actually, I think I would buy Dream Seats for 20 years....

I am shocked that with the massive brain power this site has, that all the members are so greedy and selfish to not suggest using the windfall to corner the market on spam. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Hey, loan-sharking is a very lucrative business, not to mention the tax free aspect of it. He could easily make 5 - 10K off of a 10K loan.

Hey, loan-sharking is a very lucrative business, not to mention the tax free aspect of it. He could easily make 5 - 10K off of a 10K loan.

There is a very good profit margin on short term loans if you can live with taking advantage of those in trouble .

I would invest in the stockmarket, or open up a website selling something.

With all the new HDTV's coming down in price and the new HDDVD and Blueray players, places like Circuit City, Best Buy, and Walmart are looking good for the next 3 years minimum.

That nintendo Wii is selling like crazy, you can spread some of your money into that stock.

100k, you could open up an online business and invest in the stock market.

Can someone over the age of 30 please respond?

You rang? :laugh:

To be honest, I am intrigued by the car your brought up. I remember these

cars very well. They were hot in their day. Currently the market is over the

top on muscle cars and big V8's.

Recently a friend of mine and I were discussing the early-mid eighties

Mustangs. Not sure how they will do in a few years. It would definitely

be one to hold on to. You would need to let the market come to you.

This is a rare Mustang, especially with that mileage. Throw the books away

in regards to value. Don't remember exact numbers, but the SVO Mustang

wasn't a high production unit. It was a car that you stopped and did

a double take when saw one.

You're smart to consider this particular Mustang. I will make some calls

and get an idea of current value. A very good friend is in tune to

Mustang market. He is a collector, plus buys and sells classic cars.

I won't bid against you, but will get back to you with some info. Always

willing to help a fellow ES brother.

Personally I'd invest in Lead, Copper, Brass, Steel, and a whole lot more training on how to use all of them in conjunction for purposes of self-defense.

For those of you who don't know me very well... that would be Guns, Ammunition, and more Firearms Training from places like Gunsite, Lethal Force Institute, Sig Academy, etc...

One thing to keep in mind with car collecting is the storage and upkeep and ins.

They can be good investments,but they carry some extra expenses as well as risks if you drive it any.

One of my friends drove his perfect 68 Z-28 convertible around the block and a truck crushed it.

I'd probably look at in one of 2 directions:

1) I'd look at the two companies making solar panels. While there isn't a huge market in the U.S. yet, there is overseas. I believe both companies are out in California and are a relatively cheap price now. With increasing energy prices all over the world, it's not too surprising that the demand for these is increasing. Note, these are not the companies that put solar panels into sheets for your house. These are companies that produce the panels that are combined for use with solar powered equipment or panels. Last time I checked, the companies both had decent P/E ratios and weren't horribly expensive. I keep meaning to go back and give another look.

2) If I really had money that I could tie up for 10 years, I'd probably look at the realestate market in Saipan. It's beautiful, and when I was there 2 years ago, there was an appartment building with 5 appartments for sale for 100k. I hesitated because getting out there to manage the property from the east coast would be a $%^%#@, and because their laws on non Marianas citizens buying land means you can only get a lease. However, there are many people out there willing to be a "partner" for a share of the profits. Though their economy is slumping now, it's too beautiful of a place for it to not be "rediscovered" as a great vacation spot.

I'd pay down my mortgage. I know that goes against conventional financial "wisdom", but I'd just assume own my house. If a major event causes the economy to go in the toilet, I could still pay the taxes and not loose my house.

Well, it depends. If I had no wife or kids but still had my current house, I'd probably take some of it and redo the deck, maybe do some interior work on the house. That would probably be about 1/3-1/2 of it. The rest would either go into money market/mutual funds or just pay down the principal of the house.

If I had a house I was completely happy with, I'd probably spend 3K on a nice entertainment system, then save the rest of it.

I'm not a car guy so I can't see myself getting a new car.

Maybe open a franchise of some sort.

I actually just did this exact thing.

I put $72,000 into a total stock market index fund, $18,000 into an international stock index fund, and $10,000 towards home improvement and new equipment for my wife's photography business.

I've got 20+ years until retirement, so right now I'm aiming for an 100% equity portfolio, with an 80/20 domestic/international split.

I'm a big believer in low cost index funds for investing. John Bogle (the guy who invented the index fund) lays out the case in part of this article.

Traditional indexes are cap-weighted. That is, the weight of each stock (or bond) in the index portfolio is determined by its market capitalization. The total U.S. stock market, with a value of $15 trillion, represents the collective investment of all stockholders of U.S. equities. So it follows that, together, all investors as a group earn precisely the market's return.

If the market rises by 10%, all investors as a group earn 10% (before costs). So the miracle, as it were, of the index fund is simple arithmetic. By minimizing all those costs of investing, it guarantees that its participants will earn higher net returns than all the other participants in stock ownership as a group. This is the only approach to equity investing that can guarantee such an outcome.

The Active Approach

The only way to beat the market portfolio is to depart from the market portfolio. And this is what active managers strive to do, individually. But collectively, they can't succeed, for their trading merely shifts ownership from one holder to another. All that swapping of stock certificates back and forth, however it may work out for a given buyer or seller, enriches only our financial intermediaries.

The active money manager, in effect, puts forth this argument. "I'm smarter than the others in the market. I can discover undervalued stocks, and when the market discovers them and they rise in price I'll sell them. Then I'll discover other undervalued stocks and repeat the process all over again. I know that the stock market is highly efficient, but through my intelligence, my expert analysts, my computer programs and my trading strategies, I can spot temporary inefficiencies and capture them, over and over again."

Some fund managers have actually succeeded in this task. But they are precious few in number--over the past 36 years, just three funds out of 355 have consistently distinguished themselves. Nonetheless, hope springs eternal among money managers, and they strive for excellence. Of course, they believe in themselves (this field has few shrinking violets!), but they also have a vested financial interest in persuading investors that if they have done well in the past they will continue to do so in the future. And if they haven't done well in the past, well, better days are always ahead.

Archived