Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2006: Almost 90% of soldiers think war was retaliation for Saddams role in 9/11

NattyLight

Thats a shame. I didn't think anybody actually thought Iraq attacked us or even could.

If our mission was to "get" Saddam, mission acomplished and lets come home.

I think the term "unpatriotic" is getting tossed around looser then "hero" or "extreme".

Thats a shame. I didn't think anybody actually thought Iraq attacked us or even could.

If our mission was to "get" Saddam, mission acomplished and lets come home.

I think the term "unpatriotic" is getting tossed around looser then "hero" or "extreme".

The main thing I remember about Iraq right after 9/11 was the people dancing in the streets shouting "Praise Allah" and basically cheering for what happened. I so wanted our government to bomb the piss out of Baghdad at the time. It still angers me to think back on the situation, but I would have much rather seen Bin Laden killed, Saudi Arabia investigated and our military still strong and ready as opposed to how we've spread ourselves out with the Iraq mess and all.

The only thing Iraq (Saddam) did was provide stipens to suicide bombers families. I think to the tune of $25K US / bomber to carry operation around the middle east. Justifying that (among other things) as state sponsored terrorism.

Nothing directly against the US only their interests.

Two things.

1. This poll is over a year old

2. This poll was done in conjunction with a LeMoyne College group which seems to have an agenda and may not be objective. Without seeing the questions, I would need to withhold judgement, but I'm not sure if this is a totally objective poll.

Guest sith lord
:doh: :doh: My goodness, our soldiers can't be THAT ignorant, can they?

Don't blame the soldiers, blame Bush.

The main thing I remember about Iraq right after 9/11 was the people dancing in the streets shouting "Praise Allah" and basically cheering for what happened.
Really? I thought most of that footage came from Palestinians ... maybe there was celebrating in Baghdad too but there probably weren't as many cameras around as there were in Israel. I certainly don't remember the celebrations being specifically focused in Iraq in any case.

Zogby is widely respected...

Hey, I believe them and I don't blame them one bit. It will end relatively soon I think. I doubt September's report from General Petraeus will change much of anything, especially in light of the Iraqi congress wanting to take a two month vacation.

Really? I thought most of that footage came from Palestinians ... maybe there was celebrating in Baghdad too but there probably weren't as many cameras around as there were in Israel. I certainly don't remember the celebrations being specifically focused in Iraq in any case.
I gotta believe the whole region, except for Isreal and the Royal Saudi Family was dancing in the streets. It's not like we were over here minding our own business for the last twenty years. Didn't we kill over a quarter of a million Iraqis during Storm and Fox? I think that might have rubbed a few people the wrong way.

Zogby is widely respected...

Hey, I believe them and I don't blame them one bit. It will end relatively soon I think. I doubt September's report from General Petraeus will change much of anything, especially in light of the Iraqi congress wanting to take a two month vacation.

Zogby is respected for getting polling data correct, it doesn't mean that the questions weren't leading or the results being interpreted are exactly the way someone else would interpret them.

In the article, you'll see that the nearly 90% is actually 85%. Is that near enough to 90% to say nearly 90%. Now, 85% is still a big number, don't get me wrong, but I'd still like to see the questions.

I don't have a link. I should have said, "if I recall correctly." My bad. But they were showing footage. I'm almost sure of it.

Ah, whatever. Maybe I'm wrong. :)

But I have never heard those crazy rumors. I just remember seeing people dancing in the streets of whatever neighborhoods and looking quite pleased.

I gotta believe the whole region, except for Isreal and the Royal Saudi Family was dancing in the streets. It's not like we were over here minding our own business for the last twenty years. Didn't we kill over a quarter of a million Iraqis during Storm and Fox? I think that might have rubbed a few people the wrong way.

nah that's not true there were some candle light vigils in Tehran. Don't know if that's true of the Arab countries.

http://www.bestirantravel.com/culture/wtc-vigil.html

Zogby is respected for getting polling data correct, it doesn't mean that the questions weren't leading or the results being interpreted are exactly the way someone else would interpret them.

In the article, you'll see that the nearly 90% is actually 85%. Is that near enough to 90% to say nearly 90%. Now, 85% is still a big number, don't get me wrong, but I'd still like to see the questions.

You're right of course - how the questions are worded can make all the difference in the world. I just believe that most of the guys are of the opinion that this phase of the war is all but lost and has been for some time. I think they want out - I really do.

I think they are tired of lame, staged, photo ops such as the one with the V.P. recently - who simply read yet another bland prepared speech with all the enthusiasm of Al Gore on thorazine. I think they're tired of the seeming endless supply of B.S. emanating from the White House.

Yes, I remember the footage from that very day, several hours after the attacks. I'll try and dig up some links for you in a bit.

The main thing I remember about Iraq right after 9/11 was the people dancing in the streets shouting "Praise Allah" and basically cheering for what happened. I so wanted our government to bomb the piss out of Baghdad at the time. It still angers me to think back on the situation, but I would have much rather seen Bin Laden killed, Saudi Arabia investigated and our military still strong and ready as opposed to how we've spread ourselves out with the Iraq mess and all.

Actually it was Palestinians and Israeli's who were photographed and reported widely as having danced in the Street. Israeli's in the shadow of the world trade center who were photographing themselves dancing and mugging it up for the camera before they were picked up by the FBI and deported.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=123885&page=1

Israeli's like former PM Bebe Netanyahu who said in a press conference that 911 was a very good thing for Israel. Palestinian children who were dancing and celebrating as shop owners gave out candy before the PA put a stop to it.

I don't remember any Iraqi response.

Anyway 70% of the country believed that Saddam had links and played a hand in 911 before we Invaded Iraq. Colin Powell said as much in front of the United Nations speech as he outlined terrorists who he said Saddam supported. I watched that speech from Saudi Arabia. I remember saying to myself, well that's a pretty strong case. If the Secretary of State says so, I guess you have to go with that. I also remember thinking if it turns out not to be true, I'm holding them, including Powell responsible. Cheney has said as recently as two months ago that Iraq could be tied directly to 911 and terrorism.

On the other side of the argument is President Bush, Dick Clark former anti terrorism Czar, the bi partisan 911 commission, The Baker commission, and now George Tenant former CIA director who have all stated no evidence existed of such a connection.

To be fair Bush has said there was before the invasion and only said he had seen no evidence of a connection after the invasion.

Archived