Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"I'm Excited, Looks Like #30 Can Play"

onnie007

http://www.redskins.com/

Listen to GW's presser today on the Redskin website. He made it clear that he likes what he see's in Landry. "He's got the style and the attitude we like in our players on defense." I suspected this all along that while in the past we never really assigned one guy as a fulltime SS and another a fulltime FS and they were pretty much interchangeable but now we are going back to a more traditional approach. ST will be the FS and Landry will be the SS. From what I get from GW, Laron Landry can do everything ST can do in the box and LaRon's presence will allow him to free up ST to concentrate soley on INTs! :D :applause: He said and I quote, "...with ST being the FS and LaRon being the SS as he works his way into the lineup <smiles> but I don't think it'll be long before he works his way into the lineup just from what I've seen right now." I had a feeling this is why GW wanted LaRon all along at No. 6. He will be able to tackle, blitz & hit with the same nastiness as ST and now ST should be free to "go get the ball" like he was asked to do in '04 and '05. You can really see from GW's words that this past season he had to use ST a lot more in the box to make up for the shortcomings of the front 7. And I think its agreed that ST can cover more ground in coverage and can catch better than LaRon and thats why the roles will be more defined. They both have strengths and weaknesses but using them this way I feel will play to each guys strengths. This press conference made my day. Not to mention H.B.! That kid is here to stay and GW likes that he has a young future London Fletcher already on the roster. The jury is still out on Sartz and GW made it kinda seem like he needs to just concern himself with even making this team. I think he was just kidding :whoknows: and probably gave all the drafted rookies a hard time. But sorry Sartz fans. He better show something in special teams or else.... :laugh: Oh, and he gave a big thumbs up to Golston and Montgomery. So sorry to all of you who swore you wouldn't watch another game if we didn't draft DL.:doh: :laugh:

After watching the press conference, what are your thoughts?

As I expected...

Landry and Sean are going to be fun to watch.

I thought Sartz was a longshot. I don't like the pick personally. I'm not rooting against the guy of course; I just don't think he has what it takes to play at the next level anytime soon - which obivously sucks because we absolutely need some more LB's. Who knows though, maybe the guy will make it. This team has not had very much luck in their choice of LB's in the draft since 2004 with the exception of Rocky. Blades, I hope, can become a player for us in the near future.

landry is going to be good with us, but i dont agree with you when you said he can hit just as hard as taylor....because taylor is a freak when it comes to laying people out. landry and taylor should switch up SS and FS to confuse offenses and to cover blitz schemes.

As I expected...

Landry and Sean are going to be fun to watch.

I thought Sartz was a longshot. I don't like the pick personally. I'm not rooting against the guy of course; I just don't think he has what it takes to play at the next level anytime soon - which obivously sucks because we absolutely need some more LB's. Who knows though, maybe the guy will make it. This team has not had very much luck in their choice of LB's in the draft since 2004 with the exception of Rocky. Blades, I hope, can become a player for us in the near future.

Yeah, Sartz doesn't LOOK the part but football is still played on the field. Maybe he can do somethings very well for a LB his height. :whoknows: He had some difficulty on the sleds but that is understandable at his height. But yeah, my early favorites in the draft are Blades and LaRon obviously. Jordan definitely has the size and look but we'll see. I think Ecker will be a great pick up. He has hands and if he can put on a few more pounds he can be a great blocker as well.

Sartz needs 20 more pounds at least. that will take a year.

I agree and this isn't college either. There is no time to GROW players. This is the NFL and you gotta bring it! Cause if you don't some undrafted rookie who went to a small school with a chip on his shoulder will. Playing for USC don't mean squat if you can't show something on the field in Ashburn, VA. :cheers:

landry is going to be good with us, but i dont agree with you when you said he can hit just as hard as taylor....because taylor is a freak when it comes to laying people out. landry and taylor should switch up SS and FS to confuse offenses and to cover blitz schemes.

Look at my sig....:rolleyes: Laron can hit! Then LISTEN to GW.:rolleyes: He wants LaRon at SS.:doh:

Look at my sig....:rolleyes: Laron can hit! Then LISTEN to GW.:rolleyes: He wants LaRon at SS.:doh:

it was a nice hit, but hitting a college QB that is standing still is a little different than hitting a NFL RB going full speed. im not bashing landry im just saying he doesnt have the tackling or hitting skills of sean taylor.......YET

Wow, that hit is vicious... happy we got him, and you see how absolutely set he was on getting the QB from the start of the play. damn

Yeah, Matt Bowen was really good at doing that for us in '04. LL is much better athlete and I think GW wants to utilize LL's 4.35 speed on 3rd and long blitzing situations.

it was a nice hit, but hitting a college QB that is standing still is a little different than hitting a NFL RB going full speed. im not bashing landry im just saying he doesnt have the tackling or hitting skills of sean taylor.......YET

Mighty hard to start in the SEC as a freshman and then go on to play in 48 of 52 games for Nick Saban and not be able to tackle well. And I agree that my sig doesn't tell the whole story.

Watch this and pay attention to it at 0:43 and tell me he can't tackle! (textbook tackle....amazing especially since its coming off a cut block)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bip9KlMxd04

I love it . . . this kid is gonna be a good one. But, let's be clear about something - he can't hit as hard as Sean . . .

Okay okay, I'll concede that. ST is something special and he's my favorite player. But LL can hit and he's very strong. So we got 1.o version of ST @ FS and another 0.8 version of ST @ SS. :cheers:

Besides, most of us expect Landry to do well. The DL is still a ? to me.

I hear you and towards the end of the presser he said they are monitoring the market for DL so its not out consideration. But IMO, we got the players right now to get it done. :D

Onnie...did you come up with the "area 51?" I love that! Landry kinda reminds me of Brian Dawkins more than anything....

Actually there was a thread earlier in the week on nicknames. First I liked "Croc Hunters" and even "The BANG Brothers" but this one just spoke to me you know.:laugh: "WRs just come up missin' after they cross the middle" AREA 51:yes: Props to the ES brother, whoever he is that came up with it.

Of course, we still got hope that LL is able to pry away the No. 30 away from Nehemiah Broughton who is the FB that currently has the number but I think he will have enough cash to get the number from him. :D

I like that Gregg said he wants to to put Taylor in position to make a play on the ball more often. It would be great to see him be a ball hawk like he was in college.

And I like Area 51. Let's hope it works out that way first.

Even though ST is a great hitter he has been misused here, probably because of lack of talent at the other safety position. ST belongs at FS, able to roam the secondary and make plays on the ball. I'm glad Greg said that ST will be the FS and LL the SS. This will take advantage of the skills each is best at. And I'm sure there will be some flip flopping so as to confuse the offense. They are both able to play each position. They will be really fun to watch together.

Mighty hard to start in the SEC as a freshman and then go on to play in 48 of 52 games for Nick Saban and not be able to tackle well. And I agree that my sig doesn't tell the whole story.

Watch this and pay attention to it at 0:43 and tell me he can't tackle! (textbook tackle....amazing especially since its coming off a cut block)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bip9KlMxd04

first...when did i say he cant tackle? you said he was as good a tackler as sean taylor and that is what i disagree with. i think he is a great player but he has yet to take a snap in the nfl so you cant compare him to sean taylor who is one of the best hitters in the league. dont misinterpret my words.

He probably never will, but he's not as big as Taylor.

We hear crap like this every year from GW. Lets at least wait till the preseason to see how it goes.

Besides, most of us expect Landry to do well. The DL is still a ? to me.

Actually, no, you don't hear crap like that from GW every year. He would just as soon slam a car door on his fingers as give any kind of praise to a rookie. The fact that he's saying these things about Landry this early in the game is unusual, and leads me to believe that Landry is going to be very, very special.

Archived