Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"I'm Excited, Looks Like #30 Can Play"

onnie007

landry is going to be good with us, but i dont agree with you when you said he can hit just as hard as taylor....because taylor is a freak when it comes to laying people out. landry and taylor should switch up SS and FS to confuse offenses and to cover blitz schemes.

This sounds like a good plan.. However, if the two are so similar athleticlly, is there going to be much of a difference? Not flaming, just asking. I think it would be good for causing some confusion as to what the hell we were up to if they were to trade places in the middle of the field, right before the snap.

Sartz needs 20 more pounds at least. that will take a year.

Laurence Taylor, the protypical linebacker was 6-4 and 245 pounds.

Dallas is about 235. Why is it he has to gain 20 pounds when he is an OUTSIDE linebacker. Not an inside linebacker. Not even Ray Lewis weighs 255 pounds so why is it that in your professional opinion Dallas needs TWENTY pounds?

Damn, was it only one game? :laugh: I was trying to be nice, oh well. I think GW is going to have fun with his 3rd down blitzing packages again. Expect to see a lot more safety and corner blitzs in '07. :cheers:

Yep lol...he got injured early in the season and never got to repeat his performance from the Tampa Bay game. But the Landry play in your sig reminds me of it to a T...*thumbsup*

Correction...Matt Bowen was really good at doing that for one game in '04.

He had a huge game in the first week but he started the first 5 games that year. He got hurt very early against the Ravens and was done. He clearly wasn't the same player when he came back the next year though.

I've been asking myself this since the draft:

why did we take Dallas Sartz beforeHB Blades? why did we take Sartz at all?

I'm right there with you brother. H.B. Blades is obviously Fletcher's heir apparent but the jury is still out on Sartz. The show H.B. leading every drill like a natural leader and I hear his not being coached up nearly as much as Sartz is. I know people have a soft spot for him but he doesn't have the size yet. So our options are to let him either take a roster spot or practice squad from someone else just to see if he can pack on some pounds? :wtf: Honestly, he deserves a shot at least because there obviously something they saw on film that they like out him despite his tall lanky frame. I worry for him because they have a picture of him standing next to Laron and LL is way bigger and he plays safety. :laugh: Once they gets those pads one, we'll see if Sartz can really play. Plus, I hate his first name and I refuse to use it. :laugh: :cheers:

People keep concentrating on his hitting abililty. Hits are real fun to watch, but I hope his pass coverage skills will be up to par in the NFL.

I think he should be able to get it done. GW also said that he had Laron cover Bowe when they took JC down to LSU to throw. So essentially Landry was playing corner and they said he did a very good job of covering what we now know to be a 1st round WR. Who knows maybe they took JC down there to throw to Bowe to make people THINK we were actually looking at a WR but were actually and Landry all along. Thats pretty sneeky and smart if thats what they did and I like it. But yeah, I think that is a good sign that he can cover WRs because that means he can definitely stay with TEs. Plus his 4.35 40 time ensure he won't have a hard time like AA did. Its going to be awesome this year. :cheers:

Laurence Taylor, the protypical linebacker was 6-4 and 245 pounds.

Dallas is about 235. Why is it he has to gain 20 pounds when he is an OUTSIDE linebacker. Not an inside linebacker. Not even Ray Lewis weighs 255 pounds so why is it that in your professional opinion Dallas needs TWENTY pounds?

Its Lawrence Taylor but you make valid points. We'll have to wait and see. It just that early on he's been have a hard time on the LB sleds and it mainly has to do with pad level. He's 6'5" and he's having problems getting low enough but these things are coachable. And hopefully after weight training with the team he will get stronger and learn how to get lower despite being as tall as he is. William Kershaw at Maryland got it done. He was a pretty tall outside lineback for us at the University of Maryland and he's earned a roster spot with the Kansas City Chiefs so it can be done. So we'll have to wait and see with Sartz. :)

I think he should be able to get it done. GW also said that he had Laron cover Bowe when they took JC down to LSU to throw. So essentially Landry was playing corner and they said he did a very good job of covering what we now know to be a 1st round WR. Who knows maybe they took JC down there to throw to Bowe to make people THINK we were actually looking at a WR but were actually and Landry all along. Thats pretty sneeky and smart if thats what they did and I like it. But yeah, I think that is a good sign that he can cover WRs because that means he can definitely stay with TEs. Plus his 4.35 40 time ensure he won't have a hard time like AA did. Its going to be awesome this year. :cheers:

U fire me up Onnie Dog !!!!!! :cheers: :applause:

U fire me up Onnie Dog !!!!!! :cheers: :applause:

No problem man! Watching GW talk about his draft pick for the first got me pumped and validated some of my personal feelings about how Laron would and should be used! We have a upgraded stable of corners and now the nastiest safeties in the game with some serious depth also. He made it clear that PP is still in the mix and their will be packages where PP is used even if LL eventually starts. We got some serious depth in this secondary this year and is should be exciting!!! :cheers:

I love his comments about Jason Campbell. That makes me feel all warm inside.

Thanks for posting man, I knew you never took all of that other crap personally. :cheers:

And yeah, what he said about JC coming from a defensive coordinator was very very encouraging. :point2sky

http://www.redskins.com/

Listen to GW's presser today on the Redskin website. He made it clear that he likes what he see's in Landry. "He's got the style and the attitude we like in our players on defense." I suspected this all along that while in the past we never really assigned one guy as a fulltime SS and another a fulltime FS and they were pretty much interchangeable but now we are going back to a more traditional approach. ST will be the FS and Landry will be the SS. From what I get from GW, Laron Landry can do everything ST can do in the box and LaRon's presence will allow him to free up ST to concentrate soley on INTs! :D :applause: He said and I quote, "...with ST being the FS and LaRon being the SS as he works his way into the lineup <smiles> but I don't think it'll be long before he works his way into the lineup just from what I've seen right now." I had a feeling this is why GW wanted LaRon all along at No. 6. He will be able to tackle, blitz & hit with the same nastiness as ST and now ST should be free to "go get the ball" like he was asked to do in '04 and '05. You can really see from GW's words that this past season he had to use ST a lot more in the box to make up for the shortcomings of the front 7. And I think its agreed that ST can cover more ground in coverage and can catch better than LaRon and thats why the roles will be more defined. They both have strengths and weaknesses but using them this way I feel will play to each guys strengths. This press conference made my day. Not to mention H.B.! That kid is here to stay and GW likes that he has a young future London Fletcher already on the roster. The jury is still out on Sartz and GW made it kinda seem like he needs to just concern himself with even making this team. I think he was just kidding :whoknows: and probably gave all the drafted rookies a hard time. But sorry Sartz fans. He better show something in special teams or else.... :laugh: Oh, and he gave a big thumbs up to Golston and Montgomery. So sorry to all of you who swore you wouldn't watch another game if we didn't draft DL.:doh: :laugh:

After watching the press conference, what are your thoughts?

Regarding Sartz, I will take the wait and see approach. I have faith in the Skins commitment to him when they drafted him. So, I think all the prejudgement may not be fair right now.

Williams' comments about what he hopes Taylor and Landry roles will be have open my eyes up to where he wants to take his defense. I really think it can work close to the line of scrimmage and in the middle to deep FS coverage by Taylor.

The Skins do seem to have a plan with regards to the D-Line, plus they will be adding some experience, and hopefully, youth at the DE position.

So overall I am pumped. :logo: :point2sky

Regarding Sartz, I will take the wait and see approach. I have faith in the Skins commitment to him when they drafted him. So, I think all the prejudgement may not be fair right now.

Williams' comments about what he hopes Taylor and Landry roles will be have open my eyes up to where he wants to take his defense. I really think it can work close to the line of scrimmage and in the middle to deep FS coverage by Taylor.

The Skins do seem to have a plan with regards to the D-Line, plus they will be adding some experience, and hopefully, youth at the DE position.

So overall I am pumped. :logo: :point2sky

Man, if you want to get even more pumped go read the "Dirty-Dirty" thread on Laron and his upbringing. That boy was raised right but he put fear into everyone he played at and early age. In high school:

"He loved to run down the field on the kickoff. He would be the end guy on a kickoff and we would tell the guy on the other team that we going to kick the ball to him," Valdin says with a laugh. "The kids on the sideline, they would point at LaRon and say to the guy, 'We're kicking the ball to you, and he's coming. He's coming to kill you.' " :yikes:

Man this kid is giving me goosebumps. LL might not hit like ST but he hits hard and has the exact same bad intentions when he does it. :evil:

How about "The Raging Bulls" just a thought.

Nice try. Raging is too often used with 'Roids (as in Steroids) in the same sentence so we should stay away from that one. We don't want our boys being associated with that bad stuff. Keep trying though. It'll help you get you post count up. :cheers:

onnie007,

in your opinion, what do you think was the most impressive thing about LL's blitz in your sig?

IMO it was the fact that he started the blitz from back at the S's position and sacked the QB before he was able to even set his feet. That's speed.

onnie007,

in your opinion, what do you think was the most impressive thing about LL's blitz in your sig?

IMO it was the fact that he started the blitz from back at the S's position and sacked the QB before he was able to even set his feet. That's speed.

You hit the nail on the head. I think that is exactly what is impressive about that play. You can see that 4.35 speed on display before your very eyes and I'm sure you can envision he coming on a safety blitz in the B & G for us this year. What's also impressive is that there is absolutely no wasted movement. He didn't stop until he reached the QB. Last year I kind yelled at my TV anytime I was Marcus Washington or AA or any other player breaking down before they got to the QB. That last minute mistake was often the difference between a sack/fumble and letting the QB get the ball off and possibly completing the pass. There should be ABSOLUTELY NO hesitation when coming on a blitz. With the exception of Michael Vick who can make people look really bad, nobody should be breaking down because thats just giving the QB too much respect for his athleticism and frankly most of the great QBs aren't that nimble. That's what's impressive to me about that sig and I really hope he can recreate that in the B & G.:cheers:

onnie007,

This is true, but it was all set up by the LBs blitzing that ate up the blockers letting Landry get to the QB untouched.

Archived