Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking Back, 5-11 was Good for Us (Long)

gorebd82

I'm not sure if a thread like this has been posted in the past and I'm sure that some elements of this optimism have been expressed, but after reflecting on our free agency thus far and the draft, I had an epiphany today. Although it was not planned, the 5-11 season might have been the best thing towards the goal of winning a Super Bowl or two during this 5 year window of the modern Gibbs era.

A lot of fans seem to maintain a conservative stance and try not to get too excited in their predictions due to years of disappointment. Many fans want to be modest and hope to make the playoffs this season and build from there. After a 5-11 season, we don't want to set our sights to high. Well, every year, a team or two that picked in the top ten of the draft emerge to become a force in the league. IMHO, we are the best equipped on many levels to make that leap and the 5-11 campaign only helped our cause.

My optimism comes because I was thinking about why we didn't draft CJ (I was in that boat). We all of a sudden placed such high value on our draft picks and refused to trade them. That doesn't make any sense at all. Our FO clearly doesn't care about everyone else's perception and will trade for a piece we think will help us win and CJ was at the top of our draft board. Then it hit me. Gibbs is done building his team and the draft picks for the next two years are intact to replenish the cupboard.

When you look at every part of our team, there aren't any areas that we haven't invested in to build a talented, veteran team. The area that has been highlighted as our greatest weakness (D-Line) was our best performing unit according to more in depth studying (such as the JLC guest blog on DIP stats). When looking at our team, we have more depth, talent, and experience than the 10-6 team that looked like it could make a run at the bowl. The current team just needed a little tweaking to emerge.

The 5-11 season provided:

• Motivation/Prove everyone wrong
  • Humbled our coaching staff and team
  • Saunders and Gibbs developed a working formula for the offense
  • GW found the weak links and schemes in his defense
  • A more successful campaign would have meant more Brunell, and Campbell might have entered 07 as a first time starter
  • Healthy and successful combination of RBs
  • Lloyd stunk it up, but has something to prove
  • The offensive line built confidence and improved chemistry in the end
  • 10 of 11 offensive starters are returning to a familiar offense
  • The D-Line has found its playmakers as Golston and Carter had a chance to emerge in the system
  • We recognized that we cannot just plug in linebackers so added an on field coach in Fletcher
  • Now have experienced and flexible linebacking corp
  • Addressed depth in secondary by re-signing former players, Smoot and Stoutmire
  • 5-11 got us Landry
  • We return 9 of 11 starters on defense
  • Most of our young stars (Cooley, Portis, STaylor, Rogers, etc.) are now experienced vets (only one rookie may start)
  • The injuries allowed back ups to gain experience

Overall, our team is better because we experienced the highs and also had our lows exposed. That allowed us to address the problems and build on the successes. We've improved everyone's experienced and been able to recognize who can and can't play in the system. Now all but one projected starter on each side of the ball has proven success in the system. Now that we've gotten all of the kinks out of the systems and personnel, I think this well experienced and proven coaching staff have the team in place that can make runs at the next two Super Bowls. And the 5-11, season helped the process of identifying and gathering the pieces to make it happen.

i know what you are saying and i really really do appreciate the silver lining, but man, 5-11 feels AWFUL still after what we did in 05. that's probably what hurt the most. oh well. i'm happy with our offseason, and before we know it we'll see the team back on the field. can't WAIT for football season.

interesting take. like you, despite the 5-11 season, i still feel like we have almost all the pieces to be a very, very good team. i can't wait to see campbell this year and hopefully gregg williams can get this d back to a top 10 caliber level. the london fletcher addition is HUGE in my mind and will pay many dividends for the next few years

we are a more comlete team than the saints last year (heck we kciked the crap out of them) and they went from 3-13 to 10-6. with the Giants tanking this year( remeber this post when they do) The feagles and McNabb cant figure out how to share the chunky soup, and the pukes with year two of the TO experiment(lets see how he is without parcells) and a mentally shaken tony homo looks like we are primed to do well in the division. combine that with a pretty good schedule early i think we can be 6-2 half way through and have all the confidence in the world going down the stretch.

For all those on ESPN making a living out of bashing the Redskins, incuding the fools on cold pizza, come playoffs you will all have to Bow Down!----HAIL

P.S. does anyone else get the feeling that the bigger possesion receiver and WR who can block (meshawn) is about to be signed??

For all those on ESPN making a living out of bashing the Redskins, incuding the fools on cold pizza, come playoffs you will all have to Bow Down!----HAIL

I think a lot of fans get demoralized by the media bashing we receive every year, but no one in the media has any original thoughts so they just repeat each other and say that we suck because we don't build through the draft.

In the copycat NFL, if you have a different approach then you get mocked. Well, I think our different approach has built a very good team. Don't forget, the Patriots won their first Super Bowl by building through free agency. Our team is much more talented than that team and I can't wait to hear the media's response to a Super Bowl win after mocking our process for so long.

i think we're in for a very good year. we have a load of talent on this team and we should finish at least 9-7. phatskins27, i wouldn't be surprised to see us sign keyshawn soon. he's everything they wanted in calvin johnson and he'll more than likely be cheaper. he would definitley add a much needed presence in the red zone. i feel like we have all the pieces in place going into this season and we are primed for a run in the playoffs. i could see us make a legitimate run for the super bowl within the next 2 or 3 years. its gonna be a great year to be a redksins fan!!!:cheers:

HTTR!!!

i wouldn't be surprised to see us sign keyshawn soon. he's everything they wanted in calvin johnson and he'll more than likely be cheaper. he would definitley add a much needed presence in the red zone.

We could use a big WR but I don't know about the crybaby part. We definitely don't need a whiny big WR.

It is all on Campbell and as always the general health of the team. If he excels the team will advance in the playoffs. Going downfield will open up the running. Not making stupid mistakes will keep the offense on the field. If the defense bounces back the skins can make a run. A lot of big ifs.

I'm in the positivity boat with you friend. I would not say that a 5-11 is a good thing, but I also like the fact that you pointed out a couple of important things that will really help us become a winning team in 2007. We also got to remember that all 5 of Jason Campbell's losses as a starter were not decided until there were 3 minutes remaining ...

I think things are going to get better this season. I'm expecting at least an 8-8 season. It's only Campbell's first full year afterall. The Saunders system is still not fully absorbed. It'll take a year more to fully gel the pieces. If we can AT LEAST split the division games, we can take our chances trying to win one or two more than we lose outside the division.

I really want Gibbs to have a good year. It will set up the team well to rock the world in his final year.

If Gibbs has another disaster year, it will be an awful end to a great career and will leave the team in shambles, looking at another coaching change, owner criticism, fan disillusionment, etc. Too painful to even contemplate!

Great Post. I have a feeling you're gonna look really smart after we win the next two superbowls. HTTR

dude...you just did not say SB....:doh:

I always hope we can get there but 1 offseason has never produced a SB winner....ever...much less 2 of them.

Our d-line as is probably doesn't have the juice for 1, much less 2. It needs upgrading big time with youth and talent or a non-injury prone proven vet (and not an ancient one like what we have in Daniels/Wynn). Heh...reminds me of Bruce Smith :doh:

i know what you are saying and i really really do appreciate the silver lining, but man, 5-11 feels AWFUL still after what we did in 05. that's probably what hurt the most. oh well. i'm happy with our offseason, and before we know it we'll see the team back on the field. can't WAIT for football season.

Agreed...5-11 feels bloody terrible one way or the other...especially when hopes were so high.

But this offseason has instilled a bit of the confidence back in me for this season.

Archived