Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Speed = Fred Taylor

Yomar

well, we could sign Taylor and Ike Hilliard and have the ALL IR team for 2003 :laugh:

seriously, what GM would acquire these injury prone players to good sized contracts and then hold his breath, hoping to buck the trendline of their careers?

durability is a key factor in signing a free agent. You might not be able to guarantee that a player won't get a new injury but you can hedge your bets by not tying your wagon to guys that come in to the team with a MASH emblem on their jerseys :)

Well, certainly Taylor's injury problems would be a factor in any negotiations, not just with the Skins but with any team. If he demands a top contract, he will be hard pressed to find it. However, he excelled in Spurrier's system in college, and he has proven that his talent would allow him to have the same impact in the Pros if he could stay healthy, and while there are no guarantees with Taylor, playing in a spread offense where he doesn't take a pounding probably would reduce the risk of injury a little, although it will always be high with him.

I dont think Fred Taylor would want to come to Washington. He really never got any carries when he was at UF. He only was a big player in SOS's offense in the last 5 games or so of his senior year when Doug Johnson was struggling at QB. He did have 220 yards against Penn State in the Citrus Bowl though ;)

Originally posted by DeathByLinebacker

He has played every game this year.

==============================================

WOW not to be sarcastic,but for the 1st time.i've had this thought in the back of my head for a few weeks now about taylor.he'll sign a average deal to be with SOS,& i'm sure us & every other team trying to get him will use the injury thing against him during negotiations.beats wasting another high pick on a RB i guess.....

If I'm not mistaken Taylor is not a free agent. He has another year on his contract. He certainly would appear to be an ideal fit for the Redskins, though, he is not known as a very healthy guy. He's having his Westbrook year this year in that he's staying very healthy. He's not a short yardage back at all, so he would be a guy we'd have to have while carrying someone else just for that duty. It's not a bad thought to bring Taylor in if the Jags don't keep him, but I'm almost certain he's under contract.

Art, you are absolutely right, my bad

-------------------

Jaguars | Taylor Contract Note - from KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

March 17, 2002 21:15:17 PT Vito Stellino reports for the Times-Union agent Drew Rosenhaus has approached the Jacksonville Jaguars about a long-term contract extension for RB Fred Taylor. "We've floated a few ideas," Rosenhaus said. "It'd be good for them and good for Fred." Taylor is scheduled to earn a $950,000 base salary in 2002. His current contract expires after the 2003 season. Team owner Wayne Weaver said it's team policy not to discuss negotiations.

-------------------

I knew he was unhappy with his contract going into this season, but I guess part of that is because he is signed through next season as well.

If he is cut by the Jags and he can be signed to a reasonable contract, he would be a good addition. Sure he would be a risk, but the guy was one of the top backs before getting hurt and he has done well this year considering he only gets 50-60% of the rB carries for the Jags.

Archived