Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some DL Hope for Next Year: Glenn Dorsey

SkinsFanAnt

Glenn Dorsey, DT. LSU.

Most of us draft guru's are quite upset that our most glaring need was neglected in this year's draft. And it should be noted that if there was a draft where the Skins should have bypassed a BPA for need, this was it. Super deep in DEs and a potentially freak player in Amobi Okoye on the board, we pick a player who in reality, will be an excellent player but who knows how long we will be able to afford him.

I continue to believe that the game is won in the trenches. No team with bad lines has ever won the Superbowl. The Hogs of Old, the Steel Curtain, the Purple People Eaters, Doomsday, Orange Crush, and Gang Green all received their respective nick-names for a reason: They dominated the play of the game.

We know that our horrible situation last year in giving up 4.5 yds/carry and gaining a record low 13 sacks last season was not going to get fixed in one season...especially with the Boom or Bust mentality of last year. So yeah, we busted and paid for it with a very thin draft. But if it wasn't for the thin draft and the glaring need, I really think we actually did quite well.

I hoped, however, that the need would at least be partially addressed this year, but next year, Glenn Dorsey or some other 1st DT could be the anchor in the middle for what could be the beginning of the next great defensive line. For now, lets hope that our guys stay healthy and hope our FO doesn't Bust anymore.

If anyone has any info on guys other prospects for the line, please post.

:point2sky

Calais Campbell/Miami/DE, he's only a junior but I believe he will be coming out if he has the year many think, he's '6"8, 264 and he was recruited to Miami as a tight end but grew a few inches after his freshman year and was converted to DL where he played both tackle and end last season and commanded a double team in Miami's bowl game against Nevada from end. Randy Shannon has stated Campbell will play end exclusively this year. I belive he run's somewhere in the 4.8 range.

Have to wait and see if he breaks out this year or not.

People have to realize... Okoye is not without risk. In fact, I would say he is one of the riskier prospects in the draft, as is Jamaal Anderson. I think our front offices thinking with this pick is we are going to have to pay this guy a lot of money, so we really can't afford to get stuck with a bust. They see Landry as a guy who is going to be a much safer pick, while still having a very high ceiling. I have to say I agree with them. If we had more picks we definitely should have grabbed a DE in the second or third, but we didnt. I think we made the smart move at this point. The stupid thing was trading away all those picks...

I think we have a couple of guys on the roster in Jamaal Green and Joe Sykes that have potential as pass rushers. Probably as good as anything we will find in free agency at this point. Not sure how much hope I'm putting into finding any miracle pass rusher at this point, though.

I took a look at our roster this morning, because I just couldnt understand why the coaching staff thought we were set on D-lineman. But after looking at the roster, I was a bit surprised to see that there are alot of young DT's and a cpl of DE's either on our roster, or on the practice squad. WE have 7 DT's with three years experience or less on the roster, including Golston; and three DE's. Now, i dont know the first thing about any of them, so I've no idea how good they are. But perhaps this is why the FO decided that we didnt need anymore help on the D-line. Who knows, there might be a Hall of Famer in that bunch. *shrugs*

O.K. here's my definitive take on the matter

Best case scenario: Carter maintains his surge of excellent play that began late last season. Griffin is healthy and back to his immovable run-stuffing self. Joe and Phillip are healthier, the promising Golston continues to develop..

With Fletcher at MLB, two hard-hitting safeties, and a healthty Springs QB'ing a talented secondary, Skins see not only devastating tackling but the return of coverage.

Skins proven OL and running game opens up the passing game.....Moss feasts on cover 2 safeties biting on the play action.

Playoffs......... !!

Worse Case scenario: Skin aging and banged-up DL is unhealthy again, Marcus, and even the youthful Rocky have lingering health questions. Teams run and run and run....

Carter is double teamed ; Skins generate little pass rush. Only high risk blitzes offer any chance of putting pressure on opponent QB. A secondary with legendary hard-hitters but suspect cover skills is exposed. ...

No playoffs, end of some defensive coaching staff Redskin careers.

Joe considers retirement, but after consulting with me, is revitalized and reconsiders....

I took a look at our roster this morning, because I just couldnt understand why the coaching staff thought we were set on D-lineman. But after looking at the roster, I was a bit surprised to see that there are alot of young DT's and a cpl of DE's either on our roster, or on the practice squad. WE have 7 DT's with three years experience or less on the roster, including Golston; and three DE's. Now, i dont know the first thing about any of them, so I've no idea how good they are. But perhaps this is why the FO decided that we didnt need anymore help on the D-line. Who knows, there might be a Hall of Famer in that bunch. *shrugs*

well i am young too but that doesnt mean that i'll be any good at DT or DE.

Skin aging and banged-up DL is unhealthy again, Marcus, and even the youthful Rocky have lingering health questions. Teams run and run and run....

Carter is double teamed ; Skins generate little pass rush. Only high risk blitzes offer any chance of putting pressure on opponent QB. A secondary with legendary hard-hitters but suspect cover skills is exposed. ...

No playoffs, end of some defensive coaching staff Redskin careers...

Yep, this is pretty much the more likely outcome, unfortunately.

It's funny that we'll burn a 3rd and 4th round pick on a completely unnecessary insurance RB, but we won't even invest a 6th or 7th rounder to help insure the D-line has depth next year.

We've got about 15 decent DB's on the roster and not nearly enough quality tackles and ends.

It's like the coaches are hyper-sensitive about depth in some positions, but completely dismissive of it in other positions. This stinks of arrogance and conceit, IMO.

This whole "we can get by with stiffs off the street and turn other teams' garbage into gold" mentality has got to STOP.

Yep, this is pretty much the more likely outcome, unfortunately.

It's funny that we'll burn a 3rd and 4th round pick on a completely unnecessary insurance RB, but we won't even invest a 6th or 7th rounder to help insure the D-line has depth next year.

We've got about 15 decent DB's on the roster and not nearly enough quality tackles and ends.

It's like the coaches are hyper-sensitive about depth in some positions, but completely dismissive of it in other positions. This stinks of arrogance and conceit, IMO.

This whole "we can get by with stiffs off the street and turn other teams' garbage into gold" mentality has got to STOP.

It won't and then we will still have the posters that will march lock step with the organization and be their apologists.

I'm hoping that this coming year, the eyes of the FO and the coaching staff are finally opened to the glaring holes that we have on the D-line.

Holy crap dude!!! I had no clue that Art Monk had a kid, much less one that plays at a big division 1 football program and has gotten better each season. We HAVE to consider this guy next year, for traditional purposes more than anything.

He plays in a school west of the Mississippi. The Skins would never consider him in the 1st day of the draft. ;)

Holy crap dude!!! I had no clue that Art Monk had a kid, much less one that plays at a big division 1 football program and has gotten better each season. We HAVE to consider this guy next year, for traditional purposes more than anything.

I dont believe they are related. At least its not his son.

It won't and then we will still have the posters that will march lock step with the organization and be their apologists.

I'm hoping that this coming year, the eyes of the FO and the coaching staff are finally opened to the glaring holes that we have on the D-line.

Unless major philosophical changes are made, DL will continue to be a "put some duct tape on it and send it back out there" position.

We build it from the outside in on d and don't seem to want to add the flexibility of a strong PASSRUSHING line.

Its a 4 man line with a 3-4 (occupy blockers for the linebackers to make plays) mentality. For better or worse. Till death do us part.

I don't like it. I don't agree with it. But it be what it be.

I thought Arkansas was on the east of the MS River.

Anyhow the guy is a phenomenal receiver if you can watch some Arkansas games next year this kid alone is worth watching. I don't know if he's as good as anyone in the first round this year, but he's the main reason I finally said no to CJ. We can wait for him and he is better I think

Glenn Dorsey, DT. LSU.

Most of us draft guru's are quite upset that our most glaring need was neglected in this year's draft. And it should be noted that if there was a draft where the Skins should have bypassed a BPA for need, this was it. Super deep in DEs and a potentially freak player in Amobi Okoye on the board, we pick a player who in reality, will be an excellent player but who knows how long we will be able to afford him.

I continue to believe that the game is won in the trenches. No team with bad lines has ever won the Superbowl. The Hogs of Old, the Steel Curtain, the Purple People Eaters, Doomsday, Orange Crush, and Gang Green all received their respective nick-names for a reason: They dominated the play of the game.

We know that our horrible situation last year in giving up 4.5 yds/carry and gaining a record low 13 sacks last season was not going to get fixed in one season...especially with the Boom or Bust mentality of last year. So yeah, we busted and paid for it with a very thin draft. But if it wasn't for the thin draft and the glaring need, I really think we actually did quite well.

I hoped, however, that the need would at least be partially addressed this year, but next year, Glenn Dorsey or some other 1st DT could be the anchor in the middle for what could be the beginning of the next great defensive line. For now, lets hope that our guys stay healthy and hope our FO doesn't Bust anymore.

If anyone has any info on guys other prospects for the line, please post.

:point2sky

Don't get your hopes up, you will be disappointed.....:doh:

I'm willing to bet that our FO focus will be on our offensive line next year (given their age) and we will once again bypass the Dline early in the draft.

Of course, if we let Cooley go (can we please just sign him already) or some other self inflicted hole should arise, I'm sure we'll decide to address that instead of the glaring holes on our defensive line yet again.

Archived