Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Grades already?????

Jeremiah_Johnson

Who was the Redskins Best first round draft pick?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the Redskins Best first round draft pick?

• Sammy Baugh
    • Charley Taylor
    • Art Monk
    • Darrell Green

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10155211

First round grades.

Prisco's Live NFL Draft Analysis1.

Oakland Raiders select: JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU GradeOAK.gifThey need a quarterback, but they took the wrong one. Brady Quinn should have been the choice. But at least they grabbed one.

B

2. Detroit Lions select: Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia TechGradeDET.gifThey could deal this pick to the Bucs, but give the Lions credit if they keep the pick. They got the best player in the draft. Admitting your mistakes is key in the NFL, and they did that by taking another receiver.A

3. Cleveland Browns select: Joe Thomas, T, WisconsinGradeCLE.gifThis is a good pick, but I would have taken Quinn. This is a team without a quarterback, and they need one. Thomas is a clean pick, but does having tackle really make this team better for long run. B

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers select: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson GradeTB.gif

This makes sense for a team that has to win now. They would have loved to have landed Johnson, but they end up with a good pass-rushing defensive end. I preferred Jamaal Anderson, but this makes sense. B-

5. Arizona Cardinals select: Levi Brown, T, Penn State GradeARI.gifThis is a need pick, but they should have taken Adrian Peterson. Brown's a good player, and will start right away, but Peterson is the next Eric Dickerson. C+

6. Washington Redskins select: LaRon Landry, S, LSUGradeWAS.gifI don't like this pick. First, the pick should have been defensive end Jamaal Anderson. Second, I think Reggie Nelson will be a better NFL safety. Landry will be okay, but in-the-box safeties, which he is, struggle in the wide-open NFL these days.C-

7. Minnesota Vikings select: Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma GradeMIN.gifI love this kid as a player. He will be special. But how do you pay Chester Taylor big money and look at the void at quarterback and not take Brady Quinn? Peterson will be a great player, but you can't win without a passer.B

8. Atlanta Falcons (from Houston) select: Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas GradeATL.gifThis was a great pick. He will be star. The Falcons lost Patrick Kerney and now they get a player who will be even better. I love this choice. A+

9. Miami Dolphins select: Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio StateGradeMIA.gifGinn's a good player, but how the heck can they pass on Quinn? That makes no sense. Who's their quarterback of the future? Cleo Lemon? D

10. Houston Texans (from Atlanta) select: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville GradeHOU.gifThis is a need pick. They couldn't start Anthony Maddox again. He's only 19, so he has growth potential. This is a really good pick. B+

11. San Francisco 49ers select: Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi GradeSF.gifThis is a good pick. Some scouts compared this player to Ray Lewis and 49ers coach Mike Nolan was on the staff in Baltimore when Lewis was there. He will be an immediate starter. B+

12. Buffalo Bills select: Marshawn Lynch, RB, California GradeBUF.gifI like this pick. They have a huge hole at running back and this kid is explosive. Is he the next Thurman Thomas? B+

13. St. Louis Rams select: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska GradeSTL.gifThis was a need pick. They love this kid inside as a tackle. He will be a big-time player. They need to stop the run and he will help that. B+

14. N.Y. Jets (from Carolina) select: Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh GradeNYJ.gifHe's the best corner in the draft, but they gave up way too much to move up to this spot. He better be Deion Sanders for what they gave up. C

15. Pittsburgh Steelers select: Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida State GradePIT.gifHe's a good player, but he's a little small for the Steelers outside linebacker spots. He isn't fast, but he does pack a big punch. They do need help at outside linebacker. B

16. Green Bay Packers select: Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee GradeGB.gifHe is a speed rusher who will help a pass defense that needs it. Some scouts worried that he disapeared in the LSU game, but he's a need pick. They obviously wanted him, but I think Anthony Spencer was the better pick.B

17. Denver Broncos (from Jacksonville) select: Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida GradeDEN.gifHe is a speed rusher who will help a pass defense that needs it. Some scouts worried that he disapeared in the LSU game, but he's a need pick. They obviously wanted him, but I think Anthony Spencer was the better pick. C

18. Cincinnati Bengals select: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan GradeCIN.gifThis is a need pick. They have to be thrilled that this player was here at this spot. This is big-time pick for the Bengals. He will start from day one. A

19. Tennessee Titans select: Michael Griffin, FS, Texas GradeTEN.gifI don't like this pick. I think Griffin is a little stiff and the Titans need help up front and at recevier. Lamont Thompson isn't a great player, but this is a little puzzling.D

20. New York Giants select: Aaron Ross, CB, Texas GradeNYG.gifThe Giants needed a corner to repalce Sam Madison and now they get one. Ross is a good player who will push for a starting job as a rookie. A nice, solid pick. B

21. Jacksonville Jaguars (from Denver) select: Reggie Nelson, S, Florida GradeJAC.gifThis is a fantastic pick. Why? He's better than LaRon Landry and this is a guy the Jaguars wanted. They traded down, added two picks, and still got him. They have to be thrilled. A

22. Cleveland Browns (from Dallas) select: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame GradeCLE.gifThis is the best pick of the entire draft. They get a franchise passer in the back end of the first round? Are you kidding me? Good job by Phil Savage to go up and get Quinn. He will be a star. A+

23. Kansas City Chiefs select: Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU GradeKC.gifThe Chiefs need help at receiver, so this makes sense. Bowe has improved a ton in the last year, so he's got even more growth potential. Brodie Croyle needs a target. B+

24. New England Patriots (from Seattle) select: Brandon Meriweather, S, Miami GradeNE.gifThis is a typical Patriots pick. They don't care about his character issues. They will find a way to make it work. He will be an impact starter right away. A

25. Carolina Panthers (from N.Y. Jets) select: Jon Beason, LB, Miami GradeCAR.gifThey need help at linebacker, so this makes sense. He's a speedy player who will upgrade the defense. The best thing is they got a good player and got picks for trading down. A nice job. B+

26. Dallas Cowboys (from Philadelphia) select: Anthony Spencer, DE, PurdueGradeDAL.gifCowboys coach Wade Phillips had Shawne Merriman in San Diego. Now he has another. This kid will be a force off the edge. Joe Thomas said he was the toughest opponent he faced. That's special.A

27. New Orleans Saints select: Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee GradeNO.gifThis is a great pick. They let Joe Horn leave and they get deep speed to replace him. Can you imagine what Sean Payton will do with this speed? B+

28. San Francisco 49ers (from New England) select: Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan GradeSF.gifThis is a nice pick for the 49ers, moving back into the first round to get a quality tackle. They need help on the line and he can play left or right tackle. B

29. Baltimore Ravens select: Ben Grubbs, OG, Auburn GradeBAL.gifThis pick makes a ton of sense. They need help on the offensive line and Grubbs is by far and away the best guard in the draft. He will start as a rookie. B+

30. San Diego Chargers select: Craig Davis, WR, LSU GradeSD.gifI know they needed a receiver, but they picked the wrong one. This was a reach. Dwayne Jarrett or Steve Smith would have been better choices. C-

31. Chicago Bears select: Greg Olsen, TE, Miami GradeCHI.gifThey need a threat in the middle of the field. This kid is a big-play tight end who can help Rex Grossman. I love this pick. B+

32. Indianapolis Colts select: Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Ohio State GradeIND.gifI know they needed a receiver, but they picked the wrong one. This was a reach. Dwayne Jarrett or Steve Smith would have been better choices. C-

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/insider/news/story?id=2850167

26. Dallas Cowboys dal.gif

Pick acquired from Philadelphia

The pick: Anthony Spencer, DE, Purdue

Scouts take: Dallas' reputation for taking defensive players continues with the selection of Spencer, who capitalized on an impressive senior season by moving into the first round. Spencer is an explosive up-the-field player who has excellent initial quickness and closes well once he turns the corner, so he should make an immediate impact rushing the passer. He's also big and tough enough to develop into an effective run stopper. However, this isn't a great pick. First off, Spencer isn't big enough to line up at defensive end in a 3-4 scheme and he may not be athletic enough to develop into an every-down outside linebacker. More importantly, the Cowboys have far more pressing needs.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/features/bakay

26) PHILLY: *TRADE TO DALLAS*:

and just like that, big D jumps back into the first round for ANTHONY SPENCER, a player and position that seems to make no sense to anyone. Let the Wade Phillips era begin, which, as we all know, is in reality really just more of the Jerry Jones era.

And the price they paid? 2, 3, and a 5? Wow, that's a ton of loot -- well played, Mister Heckert!

27) NEW ORLEANS: ROBERT MEACHEM

And a scary offense just got scarier.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/insider/news/story?id=2850167

26. Dallas Cowboys dal.gif

Pick acquired from Philadelphia

The pick: Anthony Spencer, DE, Purdue

Scouts take: Dallas' reputation for taking defensive players continues with the selection of Spencer, who capitalized on an impressive senior season by moving into the first round. Spencer is an explosive up-the-field player who has excellent initial quickness and closes well once he turns the corner, so he should make an immediate impact rushing the passer. He's also big and tough enough to develop into an effective run stopper. However, this isn't a great pick. First off, Spencer isn't big enough to line up at defensive end in a 3-4 scheme and he may not be athletic enough to develop into an every-down outside linebacker. More importantly, the Cowboys have far more pressing needs.

Yeah, I remember the same article written about Shawn Merriman a couple years ago too. Too small to play this game.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/features/bakay

26) PHILLY: *TRADE TO DALLAS*:

and just like that, big D jumps back into the first round for ANTHONY SPENCER, a player and position that seems to make no sense to anyone. Let the Wade Phillips era begin, which, as we all know, is in reality really just more of the Jerry Jones era.

And the price they paid? 2, 3, and a 5? Wow, that's a ton of loot -- well played, Mister Heckert!

27) NEW ORLEANS: ROBERT MEACHEM

And a scary offense just got scarier.

this is what doesnt make sense to me. everyone seems to remember the Cowboys late season defensive collapse but i guess they dont remember why that happened. this guy was drafted to play outside linebacker and challenge ellis for the starting job. but that defense collapsed because of the lack of pressure they were getting when ellis went down. so the boys went out and got another pressure player that can take over for the 34 year old ellis. at the position the boys were in and who was left, the pick they got was probably the best they could do. didnt joe thomas and one other tackle that was taken in the first round, levi brown maybe, say that anthony spencer was the toughest matchup they had last year?

He only gives Cleveland a B for taking the best OT in the draft and his reasoning is he would have taken Quinn. Didn't they get him at 22? He should be applauding them for getting both.

What is it with his big wood for Anderson?

Sorry but I can't make it past 6. This is some terrible grading!

This guy's grading is ridiculous.

The reality is no matter who the Skins picked, he would have criticized our pick.

But seriously, Dallas' choice of an undersized guy who wasn't the best available DE at the time, was by FAR the worst pick in the first round.

I guess Ellis should start packing his bags.

This guy's grading is ridiculous.

The reality is no matter who the Skins picked, he would have criticized our pick.

But seriously, Dallas' choice of an undersized guy who wasn't the best available DE at the time, was by FAR the worst pick in the first round.

I guess Ellis should start packing his bags.

he was the best pass rusher in the whole draft. Do you know that WARe and Merriman were DE's and both weighing 260-270?

I give the skins a friggin A+++ for getting LL. He is a stud and will be a stud for years to come, but calling Spencer the worst pick is sure fire homer hate!!!!

he was the best pass rusher in the whole draft. Do you know that WARe and Merriman were DE's and both weighing 260-270?

I give the skins a friggin A+++ for getting LL. He is a stud and will be a stud for years to come, but calling Spencer the worst pick is sure fire homer hate!!!!

Calm down, man.

He's only the second worst next to Kolb. :laugh:

I'm just messin'. Really if he's gonna be used as an OLB in a 3-4 then he might do some damage as a situational pass rusher. He's not really what you look for in a 3-4 end, though. He's undersized for that. Can the dude cover? That's another main point if he's switched to OLB.

Calm down, man.

He's only the second worst next to Kolb. :laugh:

I'm just messin'. Really if he's gonna be used as an OLB in a 3-4 then he might do some damage as a situational pass rusher. He's not really what you look for in a 3-4 end, though. He's undersized for that. Can the dude cover? That's another main point if he's switched to OLB.

he can cover in the same way Merriman and Ware can. He is an athelete. Ware never covered in college, and Merriman did very little if any at Maryland.

Do Merriman and Phillips have to lock down backs or TE's or slot recievers...NO not in the 3-4 that Wade is going to have in place...its a rush 4 or rush 5 Def.

he can cover in the same way Merriman and Ware can. He is an athelete. Ware never covered in college, and Merriman did very little if any at Maryland.

Do Merriman and Phillips have to lock down backs or TE's or slot recievers...NO not in the 3-4 that Wade is going to have in place...its a rush 4 or rush 5 Def.

:laugh:

You need some film on Merriman and MD football in general.

Come on man, dont go there.

So are you saying that Spencer can cover or won't have to cover?

:laugh:

You need some film on Merriman and MD football in general.

Come on man, dont go there.

Well considering, that he is a close friend of mine, i would know all about him. And i have watched actual game film. I know his position and i know him as a player very VERY well. Spencer is cut from the same mold as he and Ware.

Well considering, that he is a close friend of mine, i would know all about him. And i have watched actual game film. I know his position and i know him as a player very VERY well. Spencer is cut from the same mold as he and Ware.

And considering that I have several friends that scout for different NCAA and NFL teams across the country, you may be delusional or misinformed.

Just saying, you know. :cheers:

And considering that I have several friends that scout for different NCAA and NFL teams across the country, you may be delusional or misinformed.

Just saying, you know. :cheers:

thats cool, i really am not trying to out piss you here, but Merriman is a PASS RUSHER. Thats what he does, thats my point. the players in the like of Merriman, Ware and now Spencer.....they get to the QB...its what they are paid to do. all three players can play DE in a 4-3 and OLB in a 3-4.

thats all i am sayin

thats cool, i really am not trying to out piss you here, but Merriman is a PASS RUSHER. Thats what he does, thats my point. the players in the like of Merriman, Ware and now Spencer.....they get to the QB...its what they are paid to do. all three players can play DE in a 4-3 and OLB in a 3-4.

thats all i am sayin

Merriman played OLB in college and his responsibilities included pass coverage, just like in the NFL. I mean he has 13 passes defended in his limited 2 years as a pro.

Merriman played OLB in college and his responsibilities included pass coverage, just like in the NFL. I mean he has 13 passes defended in his limited 2 years as a pro.

He played a hybrid backer position, its called "Leo" backer. Its a rush end/olb position. I said "very little if any" coverage not "no coverage at all". Merriman was a pass rusher and alot of his PD's were at the line of scrimmage. What pained me the most about the way Maryland used Shawne was how they had him at the line after engaging a block to just shadow the QB's eyes and jump up at the line for a knock down...although it was effective at times, it took away from Shawne doing what he did best...getting to the QB....No one on this board has followed Shawne more then me....trust me when i say that.

By the way it was three years in the pros not 2.

In 38 games at Maryland, Merriman started 17 times. He recorded 189 tackles (125 solos) with 22 sacks for minus-127 yards, 33½ stops for losses of 170 yards, 27 quarterback pressures, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. His 22 career sacks rank second on the school's career-record list, topped only by Mike Corvino (24, 1979-82).

thats being used mostly as a pass rusher.....would you agree?

He played a hybrid backer position, its called "Leo" backer. Its a rush end/olb position. I said "very little if any" coverage not "no coverage at all". Merriman was a pass rusher and alot of his PD's were at the line of scrimmage. What pained me the most about the way Maryland used Shawne was how they had him at the line after engaging a block to just shadow the QB's eyes and jump up at the line for a knock down...although it was effective at times, it took away from Shawne doing what he did best...getting to the QB....No one on this board has followed Shawne more then me....trust me when i say that.

By the way it was three years in the pros not 2.

In 38 games at Maryland, Merriman started 17 times. He recorded 189 tackles (125 solos) with 22 sacks for minus-127 yards, 33½ stops for losses of 170 yards, 27 quarterback pressures, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. His 22 career sacks rank second on the school's career-record list, topped only by Mike Corvino (24, 1979-82).

thats being used mostly as a pass rusher.....would you agree?

Shawne has two years in the NFL. How are you even arguing that with me?

Merriman looks very fluid in his pass drops and utilizes his leaping ability to bat down a fair share of short passes at the line of scrimmage. He is still developing a feel in pass coverage, but has good hip snap and acceleration coming out of his backpedal. He closes with desire coming off the edge and his burst lets him sift through traffic to make plays from the backside. His above-average range and ability to take proper pursuit angles is evident when working in space.

Just like if you watch any Chargers game where he is on the field, he'll drop back into coverage. I dunno who you think you're fooling.

Archived