Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FEEDBACK REQUIRED... RE: Man Contest & NFL Pick'em Contest.

Die Hard

We're quickly winding down our second season of "The Man" Contest and the inaugural season of the "NFL Pick'em" Contest.

What does everyone think of the software and format as it presently stands? Remember, we built and designed the software from scratch... so we're not so naive to believe it cannot be improved upon... be it new features, better layout/design for ease of use, etc. etc.

So let's hear any and all feedback.

Here's what I'm thinking about:

1) I'd prefer to keep "The Man" contest as is... where contestants continue to predict the score.

However, I'd like to change the NFL contest where contestants simply pick the winner (via radio button).

PROS:

- It makes getting the entries in much easier.

- Gives contestants a better idea of how they pick the games "straight up"

CONS:

- It'll determine the winner much quicker. If someone is down 13 picks going into the final week... they basically have no shot of winning. Whereas, as it stands now, you pick a few perfect games and you can rise up the standings rather quickly.

- Not as many ways to earn points.

NOTE:

- Perhaps we can add a feature - to the present format at the top of each user's "summary" page - that calculates the user's winning percentage. I don't know about you folks.. but I've always wondered how I fared percentage wise :)

-----------------

Blade and I will be resuming our efforts to build new software and improve upon present software within the next few weeks. So we're getting ideas now so we can prep things for our programmer.

If you have any new ideas - outside of the contest softare - feel free to add them here too.

Look forward to hearing some fresh new ideas.

For the NFL,

How about a straight pick um match with a scoring match like this season for Monday night games. Since these are suposed to be hte game of the week, let's make them more points. Since we will only have to predict the score for one game, it's still quick from a participant standpoint.

Example scoring:

5 pts per correct game

5 pts for being within 3 pts of either teams score on monday night

5 pts for correct margin of victory on Monday night.

The same thing could be done using Skins games instead of Monday night games. That way we are still getting at knowledge of the whole NFL while giving a bonus for knowing the Skins.

I love the percentage option. I'd like to know how many I picked right out of the year.

I also like them the way they are. The only thing I would like to see is if you could go and check the games you pick to review the scores while the games are being played. When I tried to do this mainly in the NFL pick em it would not show the games that were being played. But that is the only thing I see, they are awesome.

Thanks for the time you guys spent on them

Man maybe I should look a little closer at the garbage I type:doh:

Originally posted by Skins57

The only thing I would like to see is if you could go and check the games you pick to review the scores while the games are being played.

I second Skins57's request.

Also it would be nice to see a weekly points total as well as the overall points total in the NFL Pickum.

Add me to the mix as liking it the way it is now. Picking games is a lot easier to do straight up and making that change would probably yield at least a 5-6 way tie for first place at the end of each season.

Picking points separates the men from the boys (sorry Blondie et al) :D Also, the present form of the contest allows folks who were far back in the pack (like say, me for example) to get back into contention with a few good weeks.

- Perhaps we can add a feature - to the present format at the top of each user's "summary" page - that calculates the user's winning percentage. I don't know about you folks.. but I've always wondered how I fared percentage wise

I was thinking about this the other day as I've made up a lot of ground recently and was wondering what my pct. was for the season. Adding this feature is really the only way I'd change things.

Many thanks for all the time you all have spent with this. It's been a whole lot of fun. I'm really looking forward to next season.

I like the way the nfl pick'em contest one is.

I still say that all fans registered to this board should be allowed in on "The Man Contest", whether they are a Redskins fan or not. I just love football contests. Also, having fans of other teams doing it should just make it more entertaining to try to beat someone like me and keep me from winning the right to have the avatar displayed for me during an offseason. I would think it would make you guys try even harder.

I would like the format to separate the games by week. Now they are just a long runon list.

I also agree to nix the points for the NFL pickem, but keep points for the Man contest.

I would prefer to not have a separate login/signin process for the contests.

Originally posted by ShonyX

I would like the format to separate the games by week. Now they are just a long runon list.

I also agree to nix the points for the NFL pickem, but keep points for the Man contest.

I would prefer to not have a separate login/signin process for the contests.

(1) I finally thought of a way to logistically do this and have our programmer implement it.

(2) Remains up for debate.

(3) Not going to happen. The message board software and contest software are developed by 2 different parties. They cannot be fully integrated. And since you can basically keep your same username and password... I don't see it as much of an impediment.

Also... if you were to register on any other site to play... you'd have to register and login seperately.. as well as probably have a different username and password from this site.

Let's not make cons of pros ;)

DH,

I love the current system, but agree with some of the previous comments:

1. Keep the scoring system the same as this year

2 Break out the NFL Games by Week---then show a weekly winner! Bragging rights for the week!

Here's another one...May be simple or may not be. Email reminders of picks due...(due to a Thursday game) I missed week six and blew my chance for the year. I know, It's my responsibility and I take the rap, but a reminder would have gotten my picks in on time.

Great job over all on the games.

HTTR,

Die Hard,

One suggestion and only one from me...

Make all the weeks and games available for the year. Its a ***** I know to format that before the season...but that way if you know you wont be at a computer to pick that week...then you can make the picks the week before...

It beats getting pestered by me all the time doesnt it?

Thanks for the cool contest this year.

Great games overall.

I agree with the suggestions of adding the "weekly" scores and winner to the NFL game. (See ESPN's "Pick'em" game)

Keep the points being picked, that's what makes it hard.

As for letting other "fans" in the "Man" contest....the fact that we are all Skins fans is what makes that game hard. If you are unbiased about the Skins then it is alot easier to pick the single Skins game score IMHO. When you are a fan it makes it alot harder to go against your "heartfelt" feelings :gus:

You guys did a great job with these games!

Thanx

:pint:

Archived