Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Blog: LaRon is The Man

rtandler

While a few things could happen to derail it, it looks like the Redskins will be taking LaRon Landry with the sixth pick on Saturday.

In the estimation of the Redskins, and in the opinion of many others, the likes of Amobi Okoye and Alan Branch simply aren’t worth that money no matter how badly the Redskins need a defensive lineman.

Now, I know what you’re thinking—it wouldn’t be the first time that the Redskins overpaid for a player to fill a perceived need. Doing so is part of their business plan, it’s the distinguishing feature of their modus operandi, and it’s as associated with the franchise as are the helmet logo and Hail to the Redskins. They even throw money at players they don’t need. So what’s with the sudden burst of rational thinking?

You can link to the whole article at http://blog.redskinsgames.com

]']This is why I think we desperately need to trade down. If we can pick up a late first rounder and a high second. We could pick up Merriweather and Moss/Spencer.

Only problem is Merriweather AND Moss are guys with red flags with off the field incidents. I have to imagine they were taken off the board as they would not make good Redskins as Vinny said yesterday.

Love the Blog though. I have been thinking the same thing all along. They simply will not take Branch or Okoye at No. 6. Landry is the guy if we stay at 6. I hope we trade down though and I think that is their first priority and they alluded this much yesterday.

So, why not a defensive lineman to patch what appears to be the Redskins’ most gaping hole? The answer is simple; it’s about money. Based on recent numbers in the #6 slot and counting in some cap inflation, that means a deal worth some $25 million over five years with $16 million or so guaranteed. In the estimation of the Redskins, and in the opinion of many others, the likes of Amobi Okoye and Alan Branch simply aren’t worth that money no matter how badly the Redskins need a defensive lineman.

It would have been a better article if you projected the salary for slots 6-12 so we could see how much of a difference there would be.

Nolan Nawrocki had his grades posted and there was no difference in the final grade between Branch and Landry before the stress fracture/shin splint scare. Amobi grades a hair just below Landry by Nolan's current standards. If the Skins' FO has a similar rating with Nolan's it would be foolish for us to take Laron Landry.

Drafting strictly by grade regardless of position has stunted the growth of more than one team and killed off too many GMs to count.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Player+Rankings/About.htm

It would have been a better article if you projected the salary for slots 6-12 so we could see how much of a difference there would be.

Nolan Nawrocki had his grades posted and there was no difference in the final grade between Branch and Landry before the stress fracture/shin splint scare. Amobi grades a hair just below Landry by Nolan's current standards. If the Skins' FO has a similar rating with Nolan's it would be foolish for us to take Laron Landry.

Drafting strictly by grade regardless of position has stunted the growth of more than one team and killed off too many GMs to count.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Player+Rankings/About.htm

Thanks for the feedback. When you've written two books about the Redskins and have published over a thousand articles about them I'll be sure to look you up for some consulting work.

I'm sure you know that Nolan Nawrocki doesn't work for the Redskins and that he is offering just a generic evaluation, not one that takes into account what specifically the Redskins are looking for in a player. I'm sure you also know that opinions differ on players regardless.

And I'm sure you also know that reaching to draft for need also has cost many jobs.

I agree. Unless we can somehow steal CJ without giving up much (not likely), I think we'll see Landry in B&G next season.

If you listen to Gibbs' presser this week - he hinted at it several times. When he talked about taking the best player on the board at the time, regardless of NEED - that means Landry. When he talked about taking an impact player at a position you seemingly have depth at but the player is too good - that means Landry.

We'll take Landry because it will make our entire secondary improve immediately. Plus, and perhaps the BIGGEST reason why we'll pick Landry, is because he'll make Sean Taylor accountable. If Landry performs well like most scouts and draft gurus think he will, ST will no longer be able to slide by missing tackles or breaking up passes trying to make a play. He'll have to shape up immediately and improve the aspects of his game that are suspect.

The bottom line, is that he won't be able to slide anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love ST, but all I hear when we're losing is how ST "just goes for the big hit" and that he is wak in coverage, blah blah blah. I think Landry will make Taylor better and the rest of our defense.

But when it comes down to it, the Skins are going to take the best defensive player available at their pick in a position of need - that doesn't mean we want the best player at a certain position or will take the best defensive player on the board - rather a compromise of the two schools of thought. And that compromise leads inevitable to Landry unless he goes earlier. He's considered by many the best defensive player in the draft, and Strong Safety IS a position of need. The position MOST in need? No, but it is a position of need, which is why we'll pick Landry rather than Okoye, Branch or Anderson, who are considered by most to be reaches at the #6 pick.

Thanks for the feedback. When you've written two books about the Redskins and have published over a thousand articles about them I'll be sure to look you up for some consulting work.

I'm sure you know that Nolan Nawrocki doesn't work for the Redskins and that he is offering just a generic evaluation, not one that takes into account what specifically the Redskins are looking for in a player. I'm sure you also know that opinions differ on players regardless.

And I'm sure you also know that reaching to draft for need also has cost many jobs.

Wow, nice.....You know I think Landry is the safest Defensive player in the draft. Well, I have formed my opinion from lots of reading and videos. But, having said that it would be nice to get some more pics by trading down. But, I do wonder is there a possible proven player(already in the NFL) that could be traded for aside from Briggs thats not really on the radar?

We'll take Landry because it will make our entire secondary improve immediately. Plus, and perhaps the BIGGEST reason why we'll pick Landry, is because he'll make Sean Taylor accountable. If Landry performs well like most scouts and draft gurus think he will, ST will no longer be able to slide by missing tackles or breaking up passes trying to make a play. He'll have to shape up immediately and improve the aspects of his game that are suspect.

I hate to break it to you but Landry plays a lot like Taylor. He takes lots of chances, goes for big hits, etc. He is not going to come in and suddenly bring ST back up to his former self. We howled about how they got rid of Clark because it was detrimental to ST since he didn't have that experienced, smart veteran with him...and now everyone thinks a rookie is going to come into a complex NFL system and suddenly learn it like the back of his hand and free up ST? Come on. We're going to end up being a highlight reel team. Lots of nice hits, but most of them after 1st downs or touchdowns.

I think Laron Landry's a great player, maybe the best defensive player in the draft, but I think safety is the one position on defense where you don't always take the best player available. We all saw last year how Sean's play dropped off when he didn't have Ryan Clark to help line him up. Now we're going to have Sean trying to help Laron line up? I think if anything it may signal that the Skins are looking to either trade or let go of Taylor down the rode, which would really suck since he's one of my favorite players. I just can't see the team putting that much money into the safety position over the long term. I really hope we are able to trade down, and I think that's a good possibility since Quinn or Peterson should drop to us.

So let's say the skins take Landry as predicted here.

Who plays SS and who plays FS? If I'm not mistaken, both are natural FS's.

Taylor would seem to be the better fit at SS due to his bigger bulk and hitting ability but that we mean we start the season with basically both guys in new positions, assuming Landry starts. That would be interesting!

Or is Landry automatically SS by default?

Or do we play cover 2 exclusively because it worked so well last year?

Rich - good work as always.

I've been hoping to see a D-line pick for awhile.

But, the more I think it over, Landry is not a bad option by any means.

The kids a play maker.

Another interesting thought about the 'Skins seriously considering Landry is that Hotlanta just may make a play for him. I've heard rumors they really like him and they have the picks to make it happen.

I can't wait for Saturday to see how it all unfolds.

It will be intersting to say the least.

I truly think a deal gets done that drops us some....

Miami, Minny, or Hotlanta.

Let's hope someone they covet is still on the board when the #6 pick comes around.

Sorry you took it so personally. I respect anyone who devotes their life the Redskins but you need to take criticism a little better. I know who you are.

Seriously now, what would the difference in salary be for the 6 slot and the 9 slot. A million, 5 million, 0.5 million a year? It's a valid question. Your blog write up is based money being a factor in the decision. Laron Landry is supposedly the best defensive player but by what margin? I brought up Nolan simply for reference, obviously the Skins' grades will be different. If you have your own evaluation grades, by all means share it.

You talk about the Skins' FO having being foolish, throwing money at players they don’t need and overpaying players to fill a perceived need. Paying for another Top 10 safety, wouldn't that be somewhat foolish cap wise? Since DL is a bigger need wouldn't it make sense to get a DL if they grade out a hair below Landry?

All I'm saying is that I would've like to have seen the difference in salaries between all those slots.

HTTR

Simply put you don't have to pay somebody the amount a pick is supposed to get. Ask them before hand what the contract would be and tell them this is what will be offered.

Sure, let's just draft Okoye at No.6 and give him the money the No. 15 pick got. He'll be happy with that offer right? :idea: No.

Archived