Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In The End, The Draft Only Comes Down To 4 Possibilities

armada58

3 weeks ago there was no way you could narrow it down like this. But we're officially close enough to the Draft that you can start to see through some of the smoke.

When you remove conspiracy theories, ridiculous ideas, and completely improbable strategies. The Redskins look like they will be making one of the following 4 moves on Saturday. (I'm talking specifically about the 1st Round). In no particular order.........

A. Trade up and draft Calvin Johnson

B. Stay at #6 and take Laron Landry

C. Stay at #6 and take Amobi Okoye

D. Trade down and take the best D-Lineman available.

I gotta be honest, I won't be upset about any one of these actually taking place. I know that Option A thru Option D has been individually debated on this board to no end. Those horses are long dead and thouroughly beaten. So I'm not going to delve into the merits of each option. I prefer to take a broader picture and simply say, "You know what, it all boils down to these options." So I figured I'd rank 'em..........

This is the rank for what I think they SHOULD do.

D

C

B

A

This is the rank for I think they WILL do.

B

C

D

A

Like I said, I really won't be upset if any one of these options turns into reality. I'm looking forward to Saturday.

:point2sky :helmet: :point2sky

i still think theres a possibility of Adams falling to us especially if quinn or johnson go #1 instead of russel. i also think we'll take a look at jamal anderson at 6. who knows. only a few days till the draft thank god

that said. i hope we trade down a few spots (8-15 area), pick up an extra pick in the second and/or third,, and we'd still likely get one of either okoye, landry, anderson, or branch

3 weeks ago there was no way you could narrow it down like this. But we're officially close enough to the Draft that you can start to see through some of the smoke.

When you remove conspiracy theories, ridiculous ideas, and completely improbable strategies. The Redskins look like they will be making one of the following 4 moves on Saturday. (I'm talking specifically about the 1st Round). In no particular order.........

A. Trade up and draft Calvin Johnson

B. Stay at #6 and take Laron Landry

C. Stay at #6 and take Amobi Okoye

D. Trade down and take the best D-Lineman available.

I gotta be honest, I won't be upset about any one of these actually taking place. I know that Option A thru Option D has been individually debated on this board to no end. Those horses are long dead and thouroughly beaten. So I'm not going to delve into the merits of each option. I prefer to take a broader picture and simply say, "You know what, it all boils down to these options." So I figured I'd rank 'em..........

This is the rank for what I think they SHOULD do.

D

C

B

A

This is the rank for I think they WILL do.

B

C

D

A

Like I said, I really won't be upset if any one of these options turns into reality. I'm looking forward to Saturday.

:point2sky :helmet: :point2sky

I totally agree with your entire post. You deserve a cookie! :applause: :applause:

While, at one time, I was dead set against trading up, I no longer think it will be as bad as first thought. Taking Calvin Johnson is the "sexy pick" but he also seems to be the one can't miss pick. While it may not be a player of need I think he could help our team in the years to come.

That being said, I am not against nor would I be unhappy if we traded down to the top 15. It would enable us to possibly still get an impact player yet pick up additional picks in this years draft. So MY ideal draft would be to trade down, pick Okoye, and then add depth in the second or third rounds.

While, at one time, I was dead set against trading up, I no longer think it will be as bad as first thought. Taking Calvin Johnson is the "sexy pick" but he also seems to be the one can't miss pick. While it may not be a player of need I think he could help our team in the years to come.

That being said, I am not against nor would I be unhappy if we traded down to the top 15. It would enable us to possibly still get an impact player yet pick up additional picks in this years draft. So MY ideal draft would be to trade down, pick Okoye, and then add depth in the second or third rounds.

I agree that initially I was dead set against a trade up and I am as long as it includes springs. We need him to help compensate for the lack of D help that we so desperately need. Springs last year in the NO game was healthy and our D dominated one of the best O's in the league. We could also play one of the the CB's at FS on passing downs if need be.

However I think any deal to trade up to get cj will have to include springs which would basically turn our games into a shoot out unless the entire d stays healthy.

My earnest hope is we trade down w/the dolphins and still get Okoye

Or perhaps vikings flip with us for Quinn and we get our choice of Okoye/ Landry

If we trade down with Miami we will still be able to take to Landry. Because Atlanta might take Okoye. But they might take Landry so that leaves us with either Okoye or Landry or even another trade down(NE) only if Landry is still on the board.

Either way Im content.

Nice post, Armada. I think you've accurately identified the most likely scenarios (regardless of the order in which they most likely take place). My preference, like yours, is also for option D.), where we can strategically move back a number of spots, secure an extra 2nd round or high 3rd round selection, and still be able to pick from among our target DL. In my case, my hope is that the target is Alan Branch, and that we add a solid enough #2 to the equation, to enable us to add a future starter at LG, S, or DE.

Unfortunately, also like you, this is not the scenario I envision taking place. I'm not going to be completely displeased with solely Okoye or Landry, as both are phenomenal prospective talents at areas of need... but I'd much prefer the best DL for our system/personnel (of which Branch is the prototype in my opinion) and the added luxury of getting another direly needed pick.

I'm about to go insane. I really am. Only three more days left...

I hear you! How much speculation can our minds possibly filter through? And all over a single first day draft pick! Heaven help us if we ever actually have a full draft to fret over. ;)

I think it is even simpler than that...

A. Trade up for CJ

B. Draft Laron Landry at #6.

C. Trade down for more picks.

The goal in drafting, at the end of the day, is to end up with 10 year players. Especially someone picked in round 1, you want not only 10 year players, but pro bowlers. CJ is a 99% chance that he will be 10 year and good chance to be a pro bowler. Landry is a 95% chance. When you start trying to figure out D-Lineman, it gets trickier (within this years' draft class) I wouldn't put Okoye, Branch, Anderson, Adams, etc. as hish as 95%. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have any one of them, but I see them at best around 90%. I believe we should go for the surest thing(Landry), that by the way, still helps our defense, our pass rush, and our rushing defense. We picked up Smoot, and Macklin, along with our extra safeties. Landry is not expected to start right away, so we need all those players.

It also seems like we are ready to get rid of Springs. (not happy, but fully understand why, and agree) I don't see any offers coming for him, and I believe he is worth at least a 3rd rounder. We may lose him completely next year anyway. I think our secondary is improved even without him compared to last year. With all that being said, I would love to see us deal him, our #6, and as high as next years #1 for CJ. (even throw in Lloyd)

Finally, it is out of our control to move down in the draft and receive more draft picks. We need the phone to ring, and it may. I hope we move to #9 and pick up their 2nd or 3rd. I hope we move again to around 12-15 and pick up another 2nd or 3rd. I would LOVE to get Carriker. (Assuming Landry, Branch, Okoye, and Adams are gone.)

So my preference:

A - trade up for CJ. (we only lose next yrs. #1...could be a bust pick especially if we have a great year and end up with a 20+ pick.) (We swap this years #1, and we are losing Springs with or without this deal.)

C - trade down for more picks.

B - draft Laron Landry at #6.

I also believe(especially if we do A or B) we will be making more free agent moves and trades to secure our weak postions. There is more involved than just the #6 pick or the draft this weekend for that matter. Have faith.

Go Skins!!!

I would like, DBCA, but I think that as far as the skins are concerned it goes ADBC

I agree. Snyder wants Johnson. But, Tampa wants Johnson. If Tampa is willing to give up their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd this year to Detroit - that may do it. There may be some problems similar to the Manning disaster however, where Johnson's agent doesn't want him playing in Tampa (probably one of the weakest markets in football right now). Could be that Johnson's agent may get wooed by Snyder and his organization for lucrative endorsements. Besides, I think Detroit would be better served to stay at #2 and take OT Joe Thomas. The CJ Derby would then fall to Cleveland where Cleveland needs and desires Brady Quinn (which in my opinion is get best QB on the board). Cleveland already has two top WRs and a top H-Back. Since Tampa won't take Quinn, and Arizona won't take Quinn - if Cleveland trades CJ to Washington - they could still get Quinn at six and get CB Springs, WR Lloyd, and Wash. next year's 1st and 3rd. It would be a coup for Cleveland! Cleveland would be an early favorite to win their division and go deep into the playoffs.

good post ... I agree that these are likely possiblities and I would not be too upset if any of them happened. I just think the move up to CJ has to be one where another team is so depsaret to move down, that we could give them one of our (or both) 6th rounders from this year, maybe a 3rd from next year ... but nothing higher than that. 2nd round seems to be where the most bang for the buck is as far as salary vs. player performance is concerned.

We shold not give up more tha one pick from next year's draft, and it should be no higher than a 3rd, IMO. The suspense is killing me, can;t wait for Sat to get here. HTTR!

Archived