Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Earth-like planet found 20 light-years away

mjah

Where does the science end and the faith begin. Tear fabric? :laugh:
The faith begins whenever someone tries to tell you that wormholes are anything more than a theory.

Even Kip Thorne and Stephen Hawking, who have literally written the book on wormholes, are still arguing back and forth about what such singularities might look like.

Their ideas come not from faith, but from mathematics, and they have no problem being proven wrong from time to time. That's science.

I actually think folding space is much cooler. Of course, folding the universe probably would take a lot of energy... So it not the ship that moves its the universe!!!

Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised that any world that fell into the goldilocks zone would in fact have life. I mean if you take earth pretty much as soon as it was "inhabitable" life appeared.

The faith begins whenever someone tries to tell you that wormholes are anything more than a theory.

Even Kip Thorne and Stephen Hawking, who have literally written the book on wormholes, are still arguing back and forth about what such singularities might look like.

Their ideas come not from faith, but from mathematics, and they have no problem being proven wrong from time to time. That's science.

So are you saying wormholes are a theory? Or a figment of the well informed imagination?

When someone says "We don't need to travel to the speed of light, we only need find a tear in the fabric of spacetime and jump thru.", it sounds like they are beyond the theory stage. It is as if they just need the right pair of clippers to cut the denim of space.

are there any alien chicks there, cause if there are I want to do them.

200px-Yvonne_Craig_Star_Trek.jpg

I'm going to have a hard time getting past the green skin.

I'll probably be happier with the total recall chick (you know which one I mean). :silly:

So are you saying wormholes are a theory? Or a figment of the well informed imagination?

When someone says "We don't need to travel to the speed of light, we only need find a tear in the fabric of spacetime and jump thru.", it sounds like they are beyond the theory stage. It is as if they just need the right pair of clippers to cut the denim of space.

We haven't even seen the fabric yet, and "clippers" are something that can't even be imagined in this generation. Nobody has ever observed anything that even looks like a wormhole.

If people speak in fantastic terms it is only because the subject matter is fantastic.

However, if we discover a complete theory, it should in time be understandable by everyone, not just by a few scientists. Then we shall all, philosophers, scientists and just ordinary people, be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason -- for then we should know the mind of God.

-Stephen Hawking, A Brief History of Time

Dude... seriously... would you please :stfu: ???

You're like a little boy who wandered into the grown up conversation. Nobody gives a **** about your "faith" theory that you constantly regurgitate in every thread you get the opportunity to do so.

Who is even talking about that? mjah posted a cool article... now is the time when we all discuss it.

You? You're in here making a jackass out of yourself throwing jabs at everyone hoping someone will take the bait.

And this 'faith' theory...It's not even you're own... you jacked it from another poster. I can provide a link if need be.

So not only are you extremely immature, you're also unoriginal and can't think for yourself.

Take it somewhere else. Start you're own thread or something. It's tiresome.

After this unnecessary post I expect you to pull the link, pal.

We haven't even seen the fabric yet, and "clippers" are something that can't even be imagined in this generation. Nobody has ever observed anything that even looks like a wormhole.

If people speak in fantastic terms it is only because the subject matter is fantastic.

However, if we discover a complete theory, it should in time be understandable by everyone, not just by a few scientists. Then we shall all, philosophers, scientists and just ordinary people, be able to take part in the discussion of the question of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason -- for then we should know the mind of God.

-Stephen Hawking, A Brief History of Time

So scientists are taking on faith the possibility that wormholes exist AND would function as a means by which we could travel far distances in a short amount of time.

And there is no question that the topic of our universe is a fascinating one. Whether you are a scientist, or the " little boy who wandered into the grown up conversation".......

So scientists are taking on faith the possibility that wormholes exist AND would function as a means by which we could travel far distances in a short amount of time.

And there is no question that the topic of our universe is a fascinating one. Whether you are a scientist, or the " little boy who wandered into the grown up conversation".......

Scientists are not taking anything on faith ... I doubt they are planning their retirements or their afterlife based on their theories on the structures of wormholes.

They are simply asking the question: IF wormholes existed, what would they look like, and how could we use them?

In this conversation, scientists are really the little boys staring up at the stars wondering and dreaming and looking for answers ... portisizzle, you're actually the grown up yelling at the kids telling them to get off the porch and go to bed. :silly:

twenty light years, thats 40 years round-trip if we were to travel at the speed of light. if we could figure out how to harness things like worm-holes and what-not, maybe we could figure out a method of creating shortcuts to our destinations.
Ever seen the movie Event Horizon? :ahhhhh:
Anyway, one part of these articles that always raises my eyebrow is when they state confidently that life cannot evolve without water. Even on Earth we're finding life forms where we never expected them - at extreme pH levels, in anoxic environments, and even at temperatures above boiling. Can we really state for a fact that water is necessary for life? In a universe full of possibilities, I'm skeptical.
I know. Couldn't life be based on Silicon?

Like the Horta.

horta2.jpg

Stating without proof that wormholes exist would be taking it on faith. Imagining that there might be wormholes, and they might present the possibility of warping through space has nothing to do with faith. It's just speculation.

Can you please stop your BS agenda? There is no "faith" involved, just your misunderstandings. Because you really do sound like the "little boy."

Scientists abduce a hypotheses, deduce what would happen if the hypothesese were true, and then use induction to reject false hypotheses.

What is your problem with this?

Whatever "faith" you represent, you do a huge disservice to it. You come into a discussion uninformed, and make uneducated statements about scientists having faith in wormholes and make yourself look like a complete jerk. This discovery is a very cool thing. People are thinking about ways to get to such planets. There is much about the universe we don't know, but just because your intellect can grasp atleast the possibilities, or it isn't printed as truth in the bible, doesn't mean you should bring your agenda, guns blazing, to poo poo on others speculation.

You're right figuring out worm holes is the answer. As far as the water thing goes.Well. Water is vital to life as "we" know it. I think many scientist have already pondered life based on other substances. We know water works though so can you fault folks for focusing there?
I also think we need to get away from the internal combustion motors(that I love so much) and fossil fuels . I think this might be step one.

The need of water to produce life arguement has always puzzeled me. We are still finding new lifeforms on our planet in the strangest of places. Places you would never imagine there to be life, why assume anything other than anything is possible?

P.S.--on a side note, mjah--do not send me the membership certificate through snail or e-mail. I'm sure you understand. Just do the traffic light deal and I'll know I've been accepted. And remember, my bad rap with the Alumbrados is exaggerated--if I'd known the dude was the leader I wouldn't have made the green card joke.

:laugh:

Don't worry, we've worked out the dangers with the snail mail. Look for the titanium box wrapped in foil, striped with lead paint and accessible only by iris scan. And don't worry, I already have your home address: it turns out that Van Eck phreaking can be made to work for flat panels, too. (You sit pretty close to your window at work.) These days, I have my computer's video card dump its output directly into my brain, to avoid detection.

The amount of extra postage the USPS requires for our mailings is beyond belief. They say it's because of the weight, but I know they're just trying to keep us down. Jimmy Carter did the same thing, closing the spigot on gas supplies just before we started our "Tanks for Truth" highway campaign.

</whackjob>

Anyway, I'm cracking up at these attempts to spin wormhole theories as "faith." These theories are in fact 1/faith. Couldn't be further from it, by their very construction.

And even when science discovers something incontrovertible, it's still characterized as a "theory" of gravitation before becoming a "law" of gravitation. Never is it described as The Truth of Gravitation, because science always allows for the possibility that there's plenty we don't know about things... even things that have been demonstrated to human eyes trillions of times.

It's a fool's errand to try to connect theoretical physicists' wormhole musings with the notion of faith -- particularly when the same physicists come right out and say, "We really have no idea what they'd be like. We're just thinking out loud here."

Archived