Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pit Bull Killer?

Koolblue13

Were there bite marks on the guy? If there is then the cop had every right to shoot the dog.
Nope, although when the police chief was lecturing us and calling the dogs " nile crocs" he said the farmer might have bite marks if we push our luck. The woman from the aspca saw the steer and said it didn't have bite marks either. When we offered to have a vet come down to care for the steer, he refused and said it was fine, but if it died, we had to pay. When Blues vet called him and offered to care for the animal for free, he refused. The dogs don't chase the horses next door or the chickens across the street. Not our cat or the nieghbors.

Nope, although when the police chief was lecturing us and calling the dogs " nile crocs" he said the farmer might have bite marks if we push our luck. The woman from the aspca saw the steer and said it didn't have bite marks either. When we offered to have a vet come down to care for the steer, he refused and said it was fine, but if it died, we had to pay. When Blues vet called him and offered to care for the animal for free, he refused. The dogs don't chase the horses next door or the chickens across the street. Not our cat or the nieghbors.

Then you could probably make a stink if you got the time and money to get a lawyer. Maybe scare the farmer to issue an apology but most likely it'll be a waste of time since the dog was loose on his property.

I would respectfully say that the thread starter has that one sown up. He put his animal in a situation where it could get harmed and it did. The responisbility is with the owner to not let your dog run loose. If you do, then man up and accept the responsibility for the results.

I don't mean to sound too harsh. If someone shot my dog, I would be po'd too. And I would try to rationlize my part of the situation as well. But the hard facts remain - If you wouldn't have let your dog run loose he would be fine.

That is true, but it's not like we have a pack of dogs we let run free whenever we want. I live on 88 acres with farms all around us. All the nieghbors around my house do the same things with the dogs we do. This farmer is about a mile down the road and if we knew they were going over there, we would have been a lot stricter with them.

added: Besides, they are dogs, they get loose. Doesn't mean ya shoot them.

Then you could probably make a stink if you got the time and money to get a lawyer. Maybe scare the farmer to issue an apology but most likely it'll be a waste of time since the dog was loose on his property.
We have the people around to get the money and have even had a well known lawyer offer his help(friends dad). The problem is it was a cop who shot the dog. To go after the police from where I sit is a little scary. I don't always have all my ducks in a row so to speak. The ASPCA or the NK shelter might persue it for us and we would just help. I spent enough time as a kid fighting the law and losing. In the long run, I'm not up for that battle. I'm just really bummed and like this community here at ES and figured I could get some helpful insights. And I have.

That is true, but it's not like we have a pack of dogs we let run free whenever we want. I live on 88 acres with farms all around us. All the nieghbors around my house do the same things with the dogs we do. This farmer is about a mile down the road and if we knew they were going over there, we would have been a lot stricter with them.

I understand, and I don't mean to make you feel any worse than you already do. But, and especially with a Pit, you have to accept reponsibility. How many people have used the same rationale for a child that ran out in the street and got run over? It's tough, but it's a lesson learned and all the future generations of dogs you own will benefit from it. I also am not siding with the farmer or anyone that would immediately shoot a dog, but we can't ignore that there are people like that around.

Just so you don't think I am holier than though, I had a bad experience with a dog I used to own too. I let Jack ride in the back of my friends pickup on the way home from the lake. When we got home he wasn't there anymore. I found him and buried him. And I felt like a complete idiot (or worse). I don't let any dog of mine ride in an open pickup anymore. Matter of fact, I spent 1k on a camper shell for my truck so my brit can't fall out.

Respectfully? I put up a thread about how my roomates dog, that I live with and help care for and is a good friend of mine as well, gets murdered and I get shoulda picked a better breed or shoulda tied them up better. Thats a load of bull.

Yeah, let's not take any responsibilty. :rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is, if you let your dogs roam (no matter where you live), there's a chance they won't come back alive. For one reason or another. There are MANY dangers out there, not just farmers with an tall tale and a cop with a gun.

The owner of the now deseased dog is to blame...plain and simple.

I don't know how people can be so cold hearted towards a dog or so fearful and uninformed about them. I could see if you live in the city, but I'm out in the country and people know better.

I feel for your friend, that's a big loss. If I were your friend, I'd be interested in the lawyer route. If for no other reason but to find out if what they are saying really happened.

As for uninformed people making ignorant comments, that's exactly how it is regarding people and guns.

To the OP:

I think I have a fair idea about why it doesn't make sense. A lot must come down to you being a "bad" neighbour. Partys, people coming and going...I have no idea how you live like that (as we are of similar age) and I'm not going to judge you, but just to say, I could never live like that. I want to know who is in my house...but then again, it is my house. As I understand it, it's not yours. But anyway, besides the point. But I suspect a lot comes down to some of your neighbours not liking your lifestyle.

I can't judge because I don't live there...but that's the impression I get. ;)

To the OP:

I think I have a fair idea about why it doesn't make sense. A lot must come down to you being a "bad" neighbour. Partys, people coming and going...I have no idea how you live like that (as we are of similar age) and I'm not going to judge you, but just to say, I could never live like that. I want to know who is in my house...but then again, it is my house. As I understand it, it's not yours. But anyway, besides the point. But I suspect a lot comes down to some of your neighbours not liking your lifestyle.

I can't judge because I don't live there...but that's the impression I get. ;)

Well, thanks for the cheap shot. Thats real nice. Atleast I got the winking smiley, that makes it okay. When you change careers at 30 and you don't have a lot of money you don't have to many options. Instead of a low income appartment I chose an old farmhouse with a long history of friends and nieghbors who have lived here. As far as being a bad nieghbor, I don't think my nieghbors mind our 4rth of July BBQ with the fireworks, food and beer we provide. The nieghbor quad races or hill climb we built for the kids and us. I also don't think they mind the felling of having thier own park to camp out in or walk thier dogs and such. We all don't go down the suburbia type route with our lives and we don't all have a traditional family, but that doesn't make me a punk or a bad nieghbor either. Again thanks for the cheap shots that are totally off topic for the thread.

But I guess I should expect no less from a cat lover.;)

Well, thanks for the cheap shot. Thats real nice. Atleast I got the winking smiley, that makes it okay. When you change careers at 30 and you don't have a lot of money you don't have to many options. Instead of a low income appartment I chose an old farmhouse with a long history of friends and nieghbors who have lived here. As far as being a bad nieghbor, I don't think my nieghbors mind our 4rth of July BBQ with the fireworks, food and beer we provide. The nieghbor quad races or hill climb we built for the kids and us. I also don't think they mind the felling of having thier own park to camp out in or walk thier dogs and such. We all don't go down the suburbia type route with our lives and we don't all have a traditional family, but that doesn't make me a punk or a bad nieghbor either. Again thanks for the cheap shots that are totally off topic for the thread.

But I guess I should expect no less from a cat lover.;)

Sorry Koolblue, I admit, it was a cheap shot. I'm ashamed of myself...:doh: I'm not usually this judgmental....must be all the MDF dust I inhaled this afternoon. Get a grip Blighty!! :D

p.s. You sound like a cool neigbour. :applause:

you do sound like a cool neighbor Kool Blue. I see what you are saying and the dogs were lucky to live a life with that much free land to roam on. I have a St. Bernard Pittbull mix that would love a life with that much land. However, the law has your buddy by the balls with fences and leash laws. Id tell him to look into a lawyer just incase the other proporty owner or anyone else involved thinks they can push the limits and sue you for anything. Also, there might be things you can do to prevent a similer situation from happening between your trigger happy neighbor and someone elses loved pet that may get loose.

I would suggest ,as others have,to keep control of your animals.(or your friend)

I love dogs,but if one is loose on my property and gives any indication of aggression it is a dead dog.

you do sound like a cool neighbor Kool Blue. I see what you are saying and the dogs were lucky to live a life with that much free land to roam on. I have a St. Bernard Pittbull mix that would love a life with that much land. However, the law has your buddy by the balls with fences and leash laws. Id tell him to look into a lawyer just incase the other proporty owner or anyone else involved thinks they can push the limits and sue you for anything. Also, there might be things you can do to prevent a similer situation from happening between your trigger happy neighbor and someone elses loved pet that may get loose.
Thanks man, good points. I picked up a kennel fence today. Ya know, another thing that made me wonder. When we were unsuscessfully trying to get a copy of the police report. The officer was threatining my friend with Manslaughter charges because the farmer might have a bite on his hand. You could tell they were using scare the kids tactics. Why not charge him with crime he was guilty of?

I would suggest ,as others have,to keep control of your animals.(or your friend)

I love dogs,but if one is loose on my property and gives any indication of aggression it is a dead dog.

I would too. There are to many kids and other animals around for actual dangerous animals. I have no problem with that.

Also, I understand my friend and my responsabilities. I know if the dog was tied up, it wouldn't have been shot. I know all of that and I didn't think I was relaying the message of no guilt on my side of this.

I would respectfully say that the thread starter has that one sown up. He put his animal in a situation where it could get harmed and it did. The responisbility is with the owner to not let your dog run loose. If you do, then man up and accept the responsibility for the results.

I don't mean to sound too harsh. If someone shot my dog, I would be po'd too. And I would try to rationlize my part of the situation as well. But the hard facts remain - If you wouldn't have let your dog run loose he would be fine.

You are right he is wrong for letting them run loose (not just because it is a Pitt but it is dangerours for the dog) but from my expierance I have seen dogs of all breeds shot for no reason at all.

I hate guns so I do not condone shooting anything but that is not the attitude to have either being a pet owner. You need to find ways for them to not get loose.

The problem with the "dangerous" breeds is you have to work harder to protect the dog from peoples fears being manifested in harm to the dog,or harming themselves in reaction to it..

Keeping them contained or with you offers them protection from most dangers as well as peace of mind to others.

I think the point I was making was the farmer knew the dogs because they have been down there before. He was tired of them, not afraid of them. The cop shot the dog to get rid of them. They were looked at as pests and not a threat to anybody.

I think the point I was making was the farmer knew the dogs because they have been down there before. He was tired of them, not afraid of them. The cop shot the dog to get rid of them. They were looked at as pests and not a threat to anybody.

I understood that,and you could very well be right,which goes back to my point of safeguarding your pets by containment.

I have always had dogs that some fear or dislike w/o reason and not letting them run loose is in their best interest.

Archived