Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Case For Jamaal Anderson

Yomar The Nifty

Select the players you would be willing to give 2 first rounders plus a second for  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Select the players you would be willing to give 2 first rounders plus a second for

• Chad Johnson
    • Andre Johnson
    • Marvin Harrison
    • Reggie Wayne or Anquin Boldin
    • TJ Housmanzada (check but only 1 first rounder)
    • Santana Moss (check if you would like to recieve the picks)
    • Calvin Johnson
    • NONE of these guys are worth 3 picks

My Case For Jamaal Anderson:

Aside from QB, I believe DE is the toughest position to fill. A quick survey of this year’s franchised players (Freeney, Smith, Grant) seems to confirm how highly valued the position is around the NFL.

In retrospect Julius Peppers and Dwight Freeney were great draft picks, but both had serious question marks as prospects. Peppers was raw and seemed like a project and a lot of “experts” thought the Panthers were taking a huge gamble by drafting him #2 overall. Dwight Freeney was a ‘tweener who looked like a situational pass rusher and also considered a bit of a reach when Dungy and Polian took him at #11. Gaines Adams may not be Dwight Freeney and Jamaal Anderson may not be Julius Peppers, but they are close enough to warrant taking the risk with the #6 pick.

There are three positions, QB, OT and DE where elite prospects never last long and if a team is ever fortunate enough to be in a position to draft an elite prospect at one of those positions, I believe you have to take the shot. Personally I would draft Jamaal Anderson at #6. If the team could trade down and still pick him up even better, but if forced to take a player at #6 I would take Anderson over all the other likely options (Adams, Okoye, Branch, Landry, Willis).

PROs:

• Production - even though he has only started 19 games and just turned 21 years old in Feb., Anderson has put up huge numbers ever since he got his chance with 5 games left in his sophomore season. As a starter over those 19 games, Anderson has averaged 5.2 tackles, 1.5 tackles for a loss, 0.85 sacks and 1.5 qb pressures per contest.
  • Upside - although his inexperience may be a negative, his incredible productivity is that much more impressive when considering that he has gained almost 70 pounds of muscle the last three years and made the transition from WR to DE. He is still learning technique and he is still filling out - he looks like he could put 10 pounds on his upper body no problem, yet he still dominated the SEC, what can he do once his body is matured and his technique is improved? Seems like sky is the limit.
  • Athleticism - He came in as a WR and he has the quick feet to back it up. His 40 yard dash was more than respectable, but his short shuttle, 3 cone and 10 yard dash numbers were great, all were just as good or far better than the numbers Gaines Adams put up.
  • Size - 6’6”, 285 pounds and a lot of room to fill out on his upper body, you can’t ask for a better.
  • Character - On the field he hustles and makes plays on second effort. Off the field everything I have read on him gives me the impression he is low risk. He seems to take pride in being a football player and seems to be a mature and disciplined young man (he didn’t gain 70 pounds by eating Krispy Kreme).

CONs:

• First step - The biggest concern I have regarding Anderson is how fast he can get off at the snap. His athleticism would lead me to expect him to be fast off the line, but while he isn’t slow and it hasn’t seemed to impact his production in college, he doesn’t seem to be quick quick either. The question is why? If it is just a case of his synapses firing a millisecond slower, then that is a red flag because it is something that can’t be taught. If it is a matter of technique or emphasis then it is less of a concern. Something the scouts and coaches have to make a call on.
  • Inexperience - When drafting high and spending big money on a player, it is nice if that player can come in right away and play at a high level. Anderson came in and played at a high level very early in his college career and he may be able to pull it off in the NFL, but he still needs to work on his technique and is less likely to be able to step in and dominate the way LaRon Landry likely will. But because elite DE talent is so difficult to find and hopefully the Skins won't be drafting this high up again any time soon, I think the right choice on draft day is Jamaal Anderson because I think he is the best prospect among the DLine and because DE is such a tough position to fill.

Nice analysis. We've gotten to the point we're we've been crunching numbers so long that w forgot what the guy did on the field. This guy was very productive when he had the chance. Will that translate? Who knows? Then again, who knows that about anyone? What we do know is that his measurables (minus strength, I think) were solid and his on field was very good. Now, if that's true in spite of his rawness, then he probably doesn't have as many bad habits to unlearn or may be easier to mold in the way that Blatche would like to mold him.

I wouldn't be upset with Anderson. Mind you, I'm also pretty firmly in the DE camp, so I'm not your hardest audience :)

this year i have made two mock drafts, incase the raiders get culpepper, and incase they dont. in the one where the raiders do get culpepper, i have them taking CJ at #1, and then the browns take JR at #3 which then makes the Dolphins jump over the Vikings and trade with us so that we have a #9 picks. the viks take AP, the falcons take Laron L, and we take Anderson. If this actually happened i would be so happy because i think he is as good if not better than gaines adams.

very good analysis on anderson. i agree with just about all of your points. good research

I agree with you. I don't think anyone is questioning Carolina for taking the "raw" prospect at #2 now.

The high character thing with Anderson is huge to me. He sounds more than willing to do whatever it takes to better his game. (unlike what we've been hearing about Branch) And it sounds like he is one of the most anti-Pacman prospects in the draft this year.

Aside from QB, I believe DE is the toughest position to fill. A quick survey of this year’s franchised players (Freeney, Smith, Grant) seems to confirm how highly valued the position is around the NFL.

In retrospect Julius Peppers and Dwight Freeney were great draft picks, but both had serious question marks as prospects. Peppers was raw and seemed like a project and a lot of “experts” thought the Panthers were taking a huge gamble by drafting him #2 overall. Dwight Freeney was a ‘tweener who looked like a situational pass rusher and also considered a bit of a reach when Dungy and Polian took him at #11. Gaines Adams may not be Dwight Freeney and Jamaal Anderson may not be Julius Peppers, but they are close enough to warrant taking the risk with the #6 pick.

There are three positions, QB, OT and DE where elite prospects never last long and if a team is ever fortunate enough to be in a position to draft an elite prospect at one of those positions, I believe you have to take the shot. Personally I would draft Jamaal Anderson at #6. If the team could trade down and still pick him up even better, but if forced to take a player at #6 I would take Anderson over all the other likely options (Adams, Okoye, Branch, Landry, Willis).

PROs:

• Production - even though he has only started 19 games and just turned 21 years old in Feb., Anderson has put up huge numbers ever since he got his chance with 5 games left in his sophomore season. As a starter over those 19 games, Anderson has averaged 5.2 tackles, 1.5 tackles for a loss, 0.85 sacks and 1.5 qb pressures per contest.
  • Upside - although his inexperience may be a negative, his incredible productivity is that much more impressive when considering that he has gained almost 70 pounds of muscle the last three years and made the transition from WR to DE. He is still learning technique and he is still filling out - he looks like he could put 10 pounds on his upper body no problem, yet he still dominated the SEC, what can he do once his body is matured and his technique is improved? Seems like sky is the limit.
  • Athleticism - He came in as a WR and he has the quick feet to back it up. His 40 yard dash was more than respectable, but his short shuttle, 3 cone and 10 yard dash numbers were great, all were just as good or far better than the numbers Gaines Adams put up.
  • Size - 6’6”, 285 pounds and a lot of room to fill out on his upper body, you can’t ask for a better.
  • Character - On the field he hustles and makes plays on second effort. Off the field everything I have read on him gives me the impression he is low risk. He seems to take pride in being a football player and seems to be a mature and disciplined young man (he didn’t gain 70 pounds by eating Krispy Kreme).

CONs:

• First step - The biggest concern I have regarding Anderson is how fast he can get off at the snap. His athleticism would lead me to expect him to be fast off the line, but while he isn’t slow and it hasn’t seemed to impact his production in college, he doesn’t seem to be quick quick either. The question is why? If it is just a case of his synapses firing a millisecond slower, then that is a red flag because it is something that can’t be taught. If it is a matter of technique or emphasis then it is less of a concern. Something the scouts and coaches have to make a call on.
  • Inexperience - When drafting high and spending big money on a player, it is nice if that player can come in right away and play at a high level. Anderson came in and played at a high level very early in his college career and he may be able to pull it off in the NFL, but he still needs to work on his technique and is less likely to be able to step in and dominate the way LaRon Landry likely will. But because elite DE talent is so difficult to find and hopefully the Skins won't be drafting this high up again any time soon, I think the right choice on draft day is Jamaal Anderson because I think he is the best prospect among the DLine and because DE is such a tough position to fill.

I can see drafting Anderson as an immediate upgrade to our D-Line. However I would not want o select him at 6. I would rather trade down and get him at a better value and add some additional picks. I may be crazy, and I am sure you guys will point it out, but I think we will trade down twice. I think our first trade down believe it or not will be with Minnesota @ 7. Then I think we will trade down again either to 8 with Atlanta for Okoye, or 9 with Miami for Quinn, or 12 with Buffalo for Peterson. It all depends on who Cleveland takes at 3. How great would it be to move to 7, then 8 then 12, pick up 3 1st day picks and then select Anderson or Carricker @ 12.

I like Anderson, he is smart and intelligent, and very athletic. The arms alone would make it more difficult for QBs to pass in a lane near where he is and that alone could give our other defenders enough time to get to the QB for a sack.

I really do like Anderson, and if not for our injury problems last year at DT I'd be all over drafting him at #6 if Gaines Adams isn't there. IN all the games I watched last year, I actually remember thinking man I'd love to see that guy as a Skin. I still feel that way. I never got that feeling when I watched Okoye or CJ though. My like of them came after I read up on their stats. So if we traded down picked anderson and someone else later in the 1st I'd beokay with that.

Jamaal Anderson may not be Julius Peppers, but they are close enough

No they are not.

This is utter BS idiocy that our fan base keeps making up.

They are not alike.

You may WANT to believe they are alike. You may WISH that we had a chance to get Peppers at #6 so bad that you make believe Anderson is like Peppers.

But in reality, they are nothing alike.

If JA was anything like Peppers, he would be a top 3 pick. See: Mario Williams. But JA is NOT at like Peppers at all, which is why he is considered closer to #10.

Quit making up BS because you dream about drafting Peppers. He isn't there. And I'll tell you this: if you are taking JA in hopes he is Peppers, you are going to sorely disappointed when we get him and you find out the truth.

No they are not.

They are not alike.

You may WANT to believe they are alike. You may WISH that we had a chance to get Peppers at #6 so bad that you make believe Anderson is like Peppers.

If JA was anything like Peppers, he would be a top 3 pick. See: Mario Williams. But JA is NOT at like Peppers at all, which is why he is considered closer to #10.

Quit making up BS because you dream about drafting Peppers. He isn't there. And I'll tell you this: if you are taking JA in hopes he is Peppers, you are going to sorely disappointed when we get him and you find out the truth.

[/size]

little frustrated there?

I personally am a fan of Anderson and would love to have him, of course that is if we trade down, he is obviously not good enough to take with the 6 pick but id love to trade down, pick up some draft picks, and get this giuy.

Hes only been playin DE for 3 years, other players work on their respective positions long before college, i feel like he has some potential he can fill as well as fill a need for us

I can see drafting Anderson as an immediate upgrade to our D-Line. However I would not want o select him at 6. I would rather trade down and get him at a better value and add some additional picks. I may be crazy, and I am sure you guys will point it out, but I think we will trade down twice. I think our first trade down believe it or not will be with Minnesota @ 7. Then I think we will trade down again either to 8 with Atlanta for Okoye, or 9 with Miami for Quinn, or 12 with Buffalo for Peterson. It all depends on who Cleveland takes at 3. How great would it be to move to 7, then 8 then 12, pick up 3 1st day picks and then select Anderson or Carricker @ 12.

this scenario would be awesome, i wonder what all the media experts woud say to us if we were able to recoup 3 1st day picks (even if it was 1st, 3rd & 4th) ... how would they view the player we gave up draf picks for should we start winning some ball games and compete for the division titel? I know I am getting ahead of myslef, but I would shart myself if this happened!

that was a great article and you made some great points. i wouldn't be mad in the least bit if we draft anderson because everyone talks about how good the talent is in the SEC, so he has been playing against some of the top players in the country. if we could trade down and get him and an extra pick that would be awesome. i'm one of the one's advocating DL so this is an easy sell!

No they are not.

They are not alike.

[/size]

Maybe, maybe not. He played in a much tougher conference and put up really good numbers while being very raw. Not that you added anything to back up your claim, at least the original poster crunched numbers. And they were impressive.

Very nice analysis of your advocacy for Jamaal Anderson, Yomar. I loved what I saw from Anderson last year. Like most fans far removed from Arkansas' surprising 2006 season, I started tuning in to Arkansas games to watch the fireworks of their multiple threat offense, but instead came away amazed with Jamaal Anderson's performances.

I'm firmly in the draft Alan Branch camp, as I think he is the most compelling defensive force in this draft, and that he best suits the needs of our system, and best complements the skill sets of the personnel we already have. However, I've always listed Anderson as my second choice, and nothing from his combines or recollections of his production against top flight SEC, and great OOC opponents (i.e. USC, Wisconsin) has changed that. Branch and Anderson both have the ability to positively impact our DL in multiple ways, and in the process elevating both our effectiveness against both the rush and pass, whether from the DT or DE positions.

I'd be thrilled with a scenario where we landed either, even moreso if we could trade back a few spots and land an additional #2 to go with them. Again, great post.

No they are not.

They are not alike.

You have no idea who Jamaal Anderson will compare to when his skills begin to translate to the NFL level, and you offered nothing of substance to support your contention. Many of the league's premiere pass rush DEs were not taken "with a top 3 pick", just as many of the elite multipurpose DTs fell down the charts prior to the draft.

What we do know about Anderson is that he has a fantastic physical composition, a visibly potent combination of skill sets for the DE position, and that he produced in droves as one of the most statistically productive DEs in recent memory to come out of the nation's elite college football conference: SEC, in a year when his team also had to face a stellar OOC and Bowl schedule, which included USC and Wisconsin (and he did major damage to both great OLs).

PROs:

CONs:

My question is, how fast did he gain 70 pounds? 70 pounds of mostly muscle is a hard feat for anybody to accomplish. I know you guys say his character is there, but will we see any Shawn Merriman-type suspensions? I'm not sugggesting he is on steroids, but I've always found it a bit odd that a WR can turn DE so quick in the SEC and put up the numbers he did.

If I were going to take Anderson, I'd do so in the late teens. If Branch (assuming the stress fracture rumors are untrue) and Carriker are there in a trade-down, I take them over Anderson. Anderson just doesn't appeal to me. He wasn't a four-year starter, nor was he even a three-year starter. That's a huge gamble and very un-Peppers-esque. Julius Peppers was the consensus #1 player in his draft, so I don't exactly think he was the gamble he is being made out to be. Anderson falls somewhere between #10 and #25 in this draft. Couple that fact with Anderson's stats having been inflated through the heavy use of stunts and lining up against right tackles, and I think there is a solid case against him. Also, if we want to use measurables as our yard stick for a DE, Adam Carriker is much more impressive. He's larger than Anderson and his shuttle time rivaled that of a DB or LB.

PROs:

CONs:

Great post. Even though there's a lot of hype about Adams possibly going #2 to Detroit, with the exception of Landry, there's no defensive player - IMHO - that's worth taking @ 6.

I am not arguing that Jamaal Anderson is a stone cold lock to be a monster DE in the NFL, but when I look at everything he brings to the table, I think he is worthy of the gamble and the #6 pick.

re: Peppers vs. Anderson - comparisons are always dangerous, how many LBs have been touted as the next LT and fallen way short. Understanding that, this is a message board and for fun I decided to do a quick side by side comparison of Peppers' and Anderson's production in college:

(note, Peppers redshirted and was in school for 4 years, so while he started all 11 games as a freshman it was his sophomore year of college. Anderson did not redshirt and would have ended up starting almost as many games as Peppers if he had stayed in school 4 years)

ALL STATS ARE LIMITED TO GAMES STARTED AND ARE ON A PER START BASIS

Starts: JP 33, JA 19

Takles: JP 5.1, JA 5.2

Tackles for loss: JP 1.6, JA 1.5

Sacks: JP 0.93, JA 0.87

QB pressures: JP 1.3, JA 1.5

Archived