Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Countdown: Part II, W Times, Kiper: Landry better than Roy Williams

Skinsinparadise

"Demphasizing the draft has been done by one team. The Redskins. Has it worked? No. ... It's got to change. I don't know what it's going to take."

Finally I agree and endorse something out of Kiper's mouth. I'll tell you when we'll change our philosophy: when we finish worse than 5-11 the next 2 years, which is completely possible (as much as I don't want it to happen). I am excited about a #6 selection but let's face it, you win the way San Diego and New England have done it: by adding DEPTH. We can't ever do that with the way we work the personnel angle.

I halfway agree.

We haven't built depth at ALL positions, but we have depth.

Our secondary is deep. Not all great players, but guys that can come in and play. Our quarterback position (like Brunell or not, he's good depth for now). Wide Receivers are fairly deep, depending on your opinion of Mike Espy. We're extremely deep at runningback (Clinton, Ladell, Rock, Nehemiah, Sellers). Linebackers we have some depth with Campbell and Marshall.

Where we DON'T have alot of depth is in the trenches. Offensive line depth is downright scary. Defensive line isn't horrible, but we don't have many standout D-Line guys. Wynn isn't much in the way of depth any more, he's moving quickly past the border of serviceable and not. Golston is good depth, and Montgomery can play if needed, I guess. But that's all we have for depth.

Adding a guy like Okoye would add depth to BOTH the Ends and Tackle positions. He can take snaps at both. I don't know where they'd primarily use him, but he could take snaps at any of the four line positions.

I halfway agree.

We haven't built depth at ALL positions, but we have depth.

Our secondary is deep. Not all great players, but guys that can come in and play. Our quarterback position (like Brunell or not, he's good depth for now). Wide Receivers are fairly deep, depending on your opinion of Mike Espy. We're extremely deep at runningback (Clinton, Ladell, Rock, Nehemiah, Sellers). Linebackers we have some depth with Campbell and Marshall.

Where we DON'T have alot of depth is in the trenches. Offensive line depth is downright scary. Defensive line isn't horrible, but we don't have many standout D-Line guys. Wynn isn't much in the way of depth any more, he's moving quickly past the border of serviceable and not. Golston is good depth, and Montgomery can play if needed, I guess. But that's all we have for depth.

Adding a guy like Okoye would add depth to BOTH the Ends and Tackle positions. He can take snaps at both. I don't know where they'd primarily use him, but he could take snaps at any of the four line positions.

I do agree almost 100% with your words. What I dread is how in the past we have treated early and mid-round picks as nearly worthless and been more than happy to part with them----this costs dearly in the long term. I also agree that Okoye makes perfect sense for what we need. I hope we can not only keep all our 2008 picks but also add some come draft day this year. We do need to tweak our philosophy of what draft day means to us.

I think everyone is ignoring Gregg Williams philosophy here. Do you really think he wants to spend the 6th overall pick on a D-Lineman? That's what late round picks are used for, take Golston for example. You can pick up a player in late rounds that can come in and play fairly early on, and be a long-term project.

What about Safties? Not so much. Successful defensive backs come from early picks, you can groom a db, but it is a longer and more difficult process, and there is less talent available later on as compared to the DL.

I love Amobi, but I don't want to waste the 6th pick on a position we can easily address later on, and a position which isn't as bad as people think for the Redskins (or else we would have been scrambling to sign DL's this offseason as opposed to 3 db's: Smoot, Macklin, Stoutmire).

We are going Landry or moving.

Bingo. In the secondary, there's no replacement for speed and athleticism and those guys are gone by later in the draft. Strength and motor are key for DL. GW and Blache have a long history of getting solid production out of late round picks and other teams' castoffs along the DL.

"Demphasizing the draft has been done by one team. The Redskins. Has it worked? No. ... It's got to change. I don't know what it's going to take." Finally I agree and endorse something out of Kiper's mouth. I'll tell you when we'll change our philosophy: when we finish worse than 5-11 the next 2 years, which is completely possible (as much as I don't want it to happen). I am excited about a #6 selection but let's face it, you win the way San Diego and New England have done it: by adding DEPTH. We can't ever do that with the way we work the personnel angle.

That and also I think when Gibbs leaves depending on the new coach that could make an impact, too. Personally, I hope Gibbs sticks around, love Gibbs the coach, but Gibbs the part time GM makes me nervous.

The problem is it seems that Gibbs is a facilatator of Snyder and Cerrato's short term win now approach. For all those doubters that Gibbs' philosophy having no stamp on this -- go back to clippings and see really from the 80s on how many different times and in how many different ways has Gibbs said he prefers established veteran plays than dealing with the crap shoot of the draft.

Cerrato and Snyder actually have a kindred spirit it seems in Gibbs. He buys into FA he is totally cool it seems to trade draft picks for established players. The Duckett deal is a prime example, they had Portis but where afraid his injury might affect him later in the season.

We had Betts AND Cartright on the roster both backs who have had multiple 100 yard rushing games in the past. Byner according to the WP article thought they would be fine. But they traded a 3rd rounder and a 4th without even flinching. Talk about not caring that much about the draft, wow.

Edit:

Also for all those who don't like Cerrato. He has one and perhaps only one big fan from the stand point of getting plugged publicly and that's Gibbs. He doesn't just say Cerrato is good, Gibbs GUSHES over Cerrato in his quotes. So if Snyder has other people in his ear saying you got to get rid of Cerrato it seems likely Gibbs is the one countering that.

Kiper said some very intelligent things about us. It's really shocking that the front office hasn't learned by now. Also, I agree about the chart. It's stupid. If we can trade down and only pick up a 3rd instead of a 2nd - do it. Although, in this particular draft, I would not trade down for only a 4th or a 5th only because the talent in this draft is so top-heavy.

Because of our lack of secrecy in regards to trading down from #6, we will not be able to garner another first day pick(2nd or 3rd rounder) along with the first round spot we move down to. All of our leverage is gone. I would be happy if we could get maybe a 4th and another 5th or 6th rounder. Multiple picks is what we should be looking to do.

As to all the posts about how three time Pro Bowler Roy Williams is a terrible safety. Well, I wish. Yeah he is a stuff the run type as opposed to coverage guy and plays a bit reckless. Does that though sound WAY different than our beloved one time Pro-Bowler Sean Taylor?

The thing about Landry that's confusing to me is some of the NFL draft sites/magazines depict him more as a coverage guy and others like Kiper say he's more a stuff the run safety. No one says though he's a disaster in either category so I gather he is pretty balanced player.

One thing that is common in most of the reports is that he is a big time leader and smart, great at positionig players, learning schemes, etc.

Edit: sorry I meant to edit this to my previous post, sorry for the two in a row from me.

The question is, Is he super-smart?

The problem is it seems that Gibbs is a facilatator of Snyder and Cerrato's short term win now approach. For all those doubters that Gibbs' philosophy having no stamp on this -- go back to clippings and see really from the 80s on how many different times and in how many different ways has Gibbs said he prefers established veteran plays than dealing with the crap shoot of the draft.

Cerrato and Snyder actually have a kindred spirit it seems in Gibbs. He buys into FA he is totally cool it seems to trade draft picks for established players. The Duckett deal is a prime example, they had Portis but where afraid his injury might affect him later in the season.

this all stems from Gibbs coming from the age before free agency. he is still learning the curve about the cap. just my :2cents:

He gets clips on ESPN for hits and anyone who gets those must be good, even if he can't cover a Junior Varsity WR.

Saying he's better than Roy Williams isn't really much of a complement. We need D-Line much more than a SS.

No matter how much hatred we feel for the Cowgirls... We shouldn't make ourselves sound predictably biased and let that taint the conversation. We should be honest here. It is a compliment... It is about as good a compliment as you are going to get, since Roy Williams is a top 5 strong safety in the NFL. He is also a play-maker who helps force turnovers.

If Laron Landry turned out to be identical to Roy Williams in every way, we would be stupid to take any other defensive player in this draft over him. I'm with most of you that we should consider Okoye and Landry if we stay at 6. However, I give the edge to Landry because I think he is a sure thing. We can last another year with our current DL... With Landry, we can move either Landry or ST closer to the line of scrimmage if we need to.

this all stems from Gibbs coming from the age before free agency. he is still learning the curve about the cap. just my :2cents:

Yeah I agree, there is a learning curve and I do hold out hope. Gibbs has said recently he wants to keep all his picks for next year and towards the end of the season he was defensive in a press conference explaning that he does care about the draft.

I do believe Gibbs cares about the draft but he cares much more about signing veteran players. Maybe that's going to change who knows. It worked for Gibbs in the 80s, will it work now, so far it hasn't. Not that we haven't made some good deals but IMO the proof is in the pudding and that's in our overall record.

And I think Gibbs and Williams are too good as coaches to say well they have the right players they are just poorly coached. IMO we have SOME of the right players.

Archived