Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defensively...Better or worse?

morpheusmeyers

07 versus 06.

Defensive line.

Ends status quo. Still Daniels and Carter. Dt's the same.

Grade: Same as last year, below average. Adding a DE or DL in the 1st round will upgrade the line. Assuming they do change the grade to upgrade. A healthy Griff and big Joe will help, too.

Linebackers.

Strong side LB same. Let's hope Marcus Washington is healthy. Middle linebacker upgraded. Weakside linebacker upgraded with Lemar Marshall returning to weakside and Holdman probably gone. McIntosh to be more involved.

Grade: Better. Decent but not great.

Corners.

Smoot and Macklin brought in. More depth. Springs still a question mark.

Grade: ?? If Springs returns than major upgrade with Smoot, Rogers, Springs, and Macklin. If Springs is gone then same at best.

Safeties.

Addition by subtraction with Archuleta traded. Pierson P back from injury. Omar back.

Grade: Slightly better.

Overall grade: Better, but not by a lot. If Springs returns than the secondary has a lot more talent and depth. If not then the secondary will continue to struggle. Retaining Springs is a must. Linebackers should be better with Fletcher taking over in the middle and Lemar returning to weakside. Line has to be upgraded in the draft. Trading down and nabbing Carriker, Anderson, or Branch is a must. Laron Landry would also help the D, but would not fill the most glaring need.

Keys to the defense (Pre-draft roster)

D-Line

Goltson and Montgomery are the keys to this unit. I haven't heard much on Montgomery's development thus far through off season workouts but he is a player who needs to be watched closely come mini-camps and OTA's. He's a big guy at 6'5 and about 315 pounds and he looked like he has a frame that could continue to grow. Golston might have been more pro-ready but i think Montgomery might have a higher ceiling if the coaching staff (specifically Blache) can earn their paycheck and make a player out of him. Goltson is a solid player who also should be improved going into his 2nd season into the league. Probably best suited as a 3rd tackle but has time to change that perception.

Linebackers

Rocky; this one is a no brainier. 1. Rocky has to develop into a run stopper in support of Andre Carter who isn't the best run stuffer on the team. 2. Playmaking!!! Marcus Washington is a very good player and we need him to get back to his typical play but we need Rocky to start making those big plays and be a threat to change the game on one play. Right now thats missing at linebacker and it will be up to Rocky to provide that

Secondary

Springs...We need him healthy is this team is going anywhere. We were a much better unit with him in there last year and now the supporting cast around him is better with Smoot and Macklin. With everyone healthy we have a very good foursome at cornerback but if Springs goes down we go from above average to mediocre.....

Overall I'm also still a bit worried about the defense. Washington's health, the d-line, and Springs health are major concerns. A secondary concern is the other safety position. I think Stoutmire can play a solid game for us but I'm hoping that between him, Doughty, and Pierson that one could clearly establish himself in the preseason.

07 versus 06.

Defensive line.

Ends status quo. Still Daniels and Carter. Dt's the same.

Grade: Same as last year, below average. Adding a DE or DL in the 1st round will upgrade the line.

I think they'll definitely be improvements as I doubt a trade-down in the draft will occur, and we'll be using it on a DL. I doubt they'd start, but still, at least some depth and eventual talent we need there.

Corners.

Smoot and Macklin brought in. More depth. Springs still a question mark.

Grade: ?? If Springs returns than major upgrade with Smoot, Rogers, Springs, and Macklin. If Springs is gone then same at best.

Even without springs how is this groupd not better.

Smoot and Macklin make Wright and Rumph look like chumps (i mean who doesnt)

Just because we have bodies in a certain position does not mean an upgrade cannot be had, or that it necessarily automatically translates into a position of strength. Sure, that means the safety position as well and yes: I know we can't have "Pro Bowlers" at every position too. I'm not comfortable with the defensive line either and I think perhaps 75%, if not more, ES posters would agree.

Golston made strides. Montgomery did not. Now, of course playing time has something to do with that as Golston had significantly more time on the field than Montgomery. But, IMO, it's a pretty big wager to place on these guys, who obviously play in a vital position to hope/expect them to become significantly better after one season - which they must if this team is going to compete.

Can we really afford that? In my mind:no we cannot. I do think a rookie DL can make a difference and I think we have to grab at least one with our first selection wherever that may fall. I agree that the injuries last year in our secondary played a huge role in our defensive collapse in probably every aspect and I realize Gregg Williams values DB's and LB's more than he does DL - I believe he stated that he believes in building from the outside in. Additionally, Vinny I believe also is on record stating that he prefers not to select DL in the early rounds or something to that respect.

I still think the front four is the catalyst for great defensive play in most instances. I can't argue with any degree of certainty about whether or not a DE or DT would have the most impact and serve to ameliorate an anemic pass rush and I do agree that Smooter, Macklin, Prioleau and Stoutmire will also help. I would be giddy with Jamaal Anderson, Carriker or Branch, Tyler, Okoye. I think Branch is the way to go personally, but regardless, we need a DL first and foremost in the 2007 draft.:2cents:

If the D line stays the same, then it will decline. Griff, Daniels, are coming off injuries/surgeries and slowing down. Joe has had a terrible two years healthwise and last year really became ineffective. Last year's rooks do offer hope, but if we need to rely on last year's starters... we're asking for trouble especially by the mid point of the season.

a healthy Washington (the silence on his recovery is truly a concern), Springs and Griffin are the mainstays of our defense along with ST. But with Grif, and Marcus playing hurt and Springs mostly out it became clear that we depend TOO much on those three and did not have the proper depth.

I am guessing that Grif and even big Joe will play well if healthy but you cannot gamble on that, nor can you assume that Golston and Montgomery will be 'players'.

You need a 3rd quality player at the DT position who at a minimum is stout against the run. Maybe the youngsters fill that role and maybe they don't. We need another beast in the middle of the line so we aren't so Griffin-dependent. Where he will come from remains to be seen.

the defensive backfield should be OK with the overall quality being upgraded. Springs is still your 'bell cow' but hopefully Rogers returns to rookie form and Smoot returns to redskin form and we are less Springs-dependent. the safety spot opposite Taylor is a concern because there are lots of candidates but due to injury, journeyman status, or inexperience we can't be sure what we have.

we could use some more depth at LB. a healthy Washington, Fletcher and Rocky with Lamar backing up all 3 has potential. we need one more guy here and not a veteran stiff, perhaps a strongside type of LB.

i know the db's were awful last year but our front four pass rush always needs improvement. How and who? Beats me?

Keys to the current defensive roster are keeping Springs, Prioleau, Washington and Griff healthy.

The age and health factors have come into play with the decline of Wynn and Daniels play. Another youthful DL who can penetrate and play the run is essential. Continued improvement from Goldston and Montgomery is also needed.

Whether Springs is at CB or S, the Redskins have one of the top DB groups in the NFL. Without Springs, a quality first day DB choice will be required. There are a couple good ones that will be available in the second round, if we only had a pick.

LBs are solid. If the other defensive holes didn't exist, I would have rather the Skins picked Willis in the 1st round to groom for MLB. Fletcher however is a nice addition. :2cents:

If the D line stays the same, then it will decline. Griff, Daniels, are coming off injuries/surgeries and slowing down. Joe has had a terrible two years healthwise and last year really became ineffective. Last year's rooks do offer hope, but if we need to rely on last year's starters... we're asking for trouble especially by the mid point of the season.

I agree...Branch at six! No need for pastry! ;)

Everyone is overlooking the addition of Fletcher as being the #1 reason we are going to get better.

He is not just a cog.

He knows this defense. He will make Pierce look like he knew nothing. Once Fletcher takes over Extremeskins will never speak of the Pierce debacle again.

I truly believe that. I think you all should to.

Cause it is true. NOT only did he have 130+ tackles last year, not only did lead the NFL in incterceptions as a LB, but he put all their players in the right place at the right time. He had his best 3 years under GW before.

So pumped

this is correct, we need to draft a DT. i think that amobi okoye guy is our best bet. i was unaware he bulked up to 315.

I believe that you take the best player available at #6. If you have Landry rated higher than Branch on your board, you take Landry eventhough you may need more help on the D-line.

Get the best player you can.

Even without springs how is this groupd not better.

Smoot and Macklin make Wright and Rumph look like chumps (i mean who doesnt)

I totally agree. I still want Springs at No.1 but I like the depth we have now. This football and injuries are inevitable. I like not having to rely on Ade Jimoh (a great athlete but no cover corner) as a reserve cornerback. This group is a lot better. And people need to realize that these guys are people and not robots that continue to give the same output all the time. Our Defense is frustrated as well. They watched the film. They've heard the news. They have pride too you know. I believe the same players, new additions, and the feeling that everyone needs to prove that they can actually tackle and play this game means we are a lot better on D. Holdman and AA are gone so we have to be better. Rocky is finally gonna get a shot and Marshall is still in the mix at his natural position. Fletcher is a leader and tackling machine and will lead by example. Players are accountable to each other and watching Fletcher tackle will definitely will definitely get the other guys in line. Because they will be all like "Hey, if little as Fletcher-Baker can do it, so can I and I'm not going to be the guy the other 10 guys are looking at saying 'why couldn't you tackle him?'"

this is correct, we need to draft a DT. i think that amobi okoye guy is our best bet. i was unaware he bulked up to 315.

Why not just have faith in the guys you have? We have two rooks that are improving. What is bring in more rooks at DT going to do for us and letting Griff and Joe go. What, you want the blind leading the blind? We have two vets and two youngin' that are coming into their own and we they don't this year (their 2nd year in the league) then we dump them and draft some in next year's draft or even pick one in free agency. I think y'all should read the thread on Gibbs and how they don't think the DL is that big of a problem. Not in our system anyways. Our problem is our secondary and LB play. We got rid of AA and Holdman and that is like addition by substraction. And now we've added Smoot, Macklin & Fletcher. We Have Stoutmire, PP and Fox competing at safety and if we get Landry then we are set. Landry will get to learn from the two vets ahead of him and if he impresses then may see some action on special teams and then alongside ST in week 7.

I realize Gregg Williams values DB's and LB's more than he does DL - I believe he stated that he believes in building from the outside in. Additionally, Vinny I believe also is on record stating that he prefers not to select DL in the early rounds or something to that respect.

I still think the front four is the catalyst for great defensive play in most instances. I can't argue with any degree of certainty about whether or not a DE or DT would have the most impact and serve to ameliorate an anemic pass rush and I do agree that Smooter, Macklin, Prioleau and Stoutmire will also help. I would be giddy with Jamaal Anderson, Carriker or Branch, Tyler, Okoye. I think Branch is the way to go personally, but regardless, we need a DL first and foremost in the 2007 draft.:2cents:

I still don't understand why Williams supposedly prefers DB's and Linebackers over DL. His defense is based on Buddy Ryan's Bears defense. Remember them?

The team that in 1985 had Richard Dent, Steve Mc Michael, Dan Hampton, and The Fridge as their DL starters. They also had MLB Mike Singletary, and Wilber Marshall. But that defense was the DL and Singletary. Their DL totally dominated games.

Our DL isn't even close, we already have ST, Springs, Rogers, and Smoot making big bucks in the secondary so it should be a no brainer that we go DL here but some people are still talking about a Safety or another WR, lol. Our one excellent Dlineman, Griffen, has been injured quite a bit. Do they really expect Griffen, Salavea, and Daniels to make it through a season without injuries? Sounds like a repeat of last year then.

I think the fact that we had the least amount of turnovers in NFL history, had the fewest sacks and QB pressures, and still had one of the worst rushing defenses to go with our worst Passing defense should tell you that our DL isn't very good, especially depth which will be playing more and more as the starters all get older.

Archived