Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Army Ten Miler

Sisyphus

The Army Ten Miler road race takes place on October 7 from the Pentagon, around DC and back.

Although there will be 26000 entrants, registrations fill up fast.

It's a great event with an awesome atmosphere. I take a youth group there to volunteer every year and everyone returns because the experience is such fun.

So if you fancy participating in the biggest ten-mile race in the USA, running with those currently serving, and those who have served, and their friends, family and suporters in an incredible atmosphere, don't wait too long to visit ... http://www.armytenmiler.com/

Proceeds go to Army Morale, Welfare and Recreation.

Hubby & I signed up this morning. :D

I ran it last year & it was an awesome experience. The Amputee team was very inspirational! :notworthy

Oh, and this year I'll be ready for 14th St bridge...I swear, that is the looooongest bridge on the planet! :silly:

When you find out, let me know where you & your group will be.

Amy

Hubby & I signed up this morning. :D

I ran it last year & it was an awesome experience. The Amputee team was very inspirational! :notworthy

Oh, and this year I'll be ready for 14th St bridge...I swear, that is the looooongest bridge on the planet! :silly:

When you find out, let me know where you & your group will be.

Amy

Amputee team = missing (parts) in action. They run with a technician to service any prosthetics that may need adjustment or fixing during the race.

Here's something on them last year:

http://video.msn.com/v/us/fv/msnbc/fv.htm??g=fd926411-ef7a-4c77-b941-85e4e7886def&f=00&fg=copy (you have to endure a stupid Bank of America commercial first)

We're involved in PR stuff and also handing out finishers medals.

I wish I was still in shape. I'd love to do that. Maybe I'll get motivated and drop the extra tonnage one of these days.

In the meantime, HOOAHs to all participants from an ex-grunt. Enjoy it!

(BTW, not to bring the party down, but this just struck me. Isn't the 14th street bridge the one the DC-10 crashed into, or close to, in the early 80's?)

I wish I was still in shape. I'd love to do that. Maybe I'll get motivated and drop the extra tonnage one of these days.

The golf cart seats 2 and I have extra beer.

Great news everybody! I'll be there! Zoony and I are going to train together (I'll supply the "training beer") and we're gonna do this thing!

I got the cart with the manual tranny... laugh now but it gives your left calf muscle a helluva workout. Also, no power steering either. That should be good for the triceps.

:lift:

I got the cart with the manual tranny... laugh now but it gives your left calf muscle a helluva workout. Also, no power steering either. That should be good for the triceps.

:lift:

Yeah, well, when I bought my beer tonight, I got 16 oz cans instead of 12s. Increasing my curl weight by 25% is no laughing matter either.

We may just screw around and win this thing! :laugh:

Yeah, well, when I bought my beer tonight, I got 16 oz cans instead of 12s.

Dude... you might be pushing it just a tad. I don't want you to pull something.

Hey, someone should rename this thread... "Fun things to do at the Army Marathon"

I'll go first:

Dress up as an Iranian gunboat captain and heckle everyone from the sidelines

Dude... you might be pushing it just a tad. I don't want you to pull something.

Hey, someone should rename this thread... "Fun things to do at the Army Marathon"

I'll go first:

I'll just wear one of my old green & gold 372nd MP Co. PT T-shirts. :doh:

I'll go first:

Wow, I hope you don't host a Talk Show, or it could get pulled, for that comment..... :paranoid:

Amputee team = missing (parts) in action. They run with a technician to service any prosthetics that may need adjustment or fixing during the race.

Here's something on them last year:

http://video.msn.com/v/us/fv/msnbc/fv.htm??g=fd926411-ef7a-4c77-b941-85e4e7886def&f=00&fg=copy (you have to endure a stupid Bank of America commercial first)

Cool video! And thanks for correcting me on the team name...someone told me about them during packet pickup but I didn't get the actual team name. Those guys are amazing!

We're involved in PR stuff and also handing out finishers medals.

:laugh: I seem to recall someone handing me my coin last year. I was so focused on getting to the food table, I had forgotten all about the coin. :doh: :laugh:

Hopefully, I won't be so out of it this year!

Amy

It's six months away ... you have plenty of time to get in shape to race it never mind run it. And unlike when you served, wearing a 40lb pack is optional on this run.:)

(Leaving open the obvious reply that the weight has shifted from the pack to the midsection):)

A lot of couples run it together. :) In fact last year, a couple ran it in modified wedding gear, they were getting married later than afternoon.

Cool video! And thanks for correcting me on the team name...someone told me about them during packet pickup but I didn't get the actual team name. Those guys are amazing!

The Army Ten Miler is a little different from other ten mile races. While there are many serious runners, for many full-bodied participants it's their first time running the distance as they sign up because of an association with someone serving, not because running ten miles is the first thing they think about on a Sunday morning.

You hear them talk about themselves, their concerns about how far it is and whether they can finish ... and then the Missing Parts in Action folks show up and the full-bodied folks realize that if those folks can do it anyone with two good legs can make it too.:)

:laugh: I seem to recall someone handing me my coin last year. I was so focused on getting to the food table, I had forgotten all about the coin. :doh: :laugh:

Handing out the finishers medals is great. For the people at the front of the pack a finishers medal is no big deal for most, but for the people toward the back of the field the race is an inspirational experience for them for a whole variety of reasons. Being at the finish to share their joy is a real blast.

The Army Ten Miler is a little different from other ten mile races. While there are many serious runners, for many full-bodied participants it's their first time running the distance as they sign up because of an association with someone serving, not because running ten miles is the first thing they think about on a Sunday morning.

You hear them talk about themselves, their concerns about how far it is and whether they can finish ... and then the Missing Parts in Action folks show up and the full-bodied folks realize that if those folks can do it anyone with two good legs can make it too.:)

Totally agree! Everything they've gone through to just get to the starting line makes any other problems seem small in comparison. I was moved to tears of awe every time I saw any of them on the course.

It was also sobering to see how many people were running in memory of a friend or family member killed in action. I knew the Gold Star Wives were there, but was still surprised by the number of "In memory" singlets and t-shirts I saw on the course. :( It made me that much more thankful for all that I have been blessed with.

Amy

Archived