Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Army Ten Miler

Sisyphus

I just signed up :cool:

I was looking for an Air Force team to run with- but they only have a JAG group of four.

so if anyone knows of a cool team to join, let me know :cheers:

I put down a goal of 2:10 which is 13 minute miles. I doubt I can maintain that for all 10 but at least now I have something to train for..

I was looking for an Air Force team to run with- but they only have a JAG group of four.

I put down a goal of 2:10 which is 13 minute miles. I doubt I can maintain that for all 10 but at least now I have something to train for..

Signing up is half the battle! :applause:

With 6 months to train, you will likely surprise yourself with how well you do.

:cheers:

Amy

One of the neat things about the ATM is the effort they put into sharing information on training. Aside from the paid participation in the Galloway programs described on the website, via the message board you can probably find training groups locally. You may be able to find a team there too.

Given six months, and putting a few miles in with some training partners, I'm sure you can get close to 1:45 or better.

It's easy for me to say ... I'm not running :D . My recovery training runs are at 9 min mile pace ... but I don't race over 5k :D. Perhaps one day I'll earn a race shirt that takes more than twenty minutes effort.:laugh:

I did the Marine Corps 10K a few months ago averaging 11 minute miles. But that was only 6.2 miles.

I am guessing by the time I get to mile 9 I am not going to be too happy :silly:

I want to wear some of my Air Force gear but at the same time don't want all the Marines and Doggies laughing out how slow the Chair Force is.

I didn't see where there was a message board- do you have a link? thanks :cheers:

Sorry bro, no stationary bikes = no airmen. :silly::D

I'm signing up now. Only problem is, I'm really competitive, and I know my g/f is going to want to run it with me (and by with me, I mean next to me). Unfortunately, I'm a pretty good runner, and very competitive, and plan to complete this in under 2 hours (shooting for 1:30 or less). She won't be shooting for nearly that time. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

I know my g/f is going to want to run it with me (and by with me, I mean next to me).

Does she just want a running partner or you specifically?

I'm shooting for a 1:45 (came in just under 2 hrs last year), and I'd be happy to have someone to run with, if she's interested. My husband is running too but his goal is the same as yours (1:30 or better), so I know he'll be out of sight shortly after crossing the start line.

Amy

Does she just want a running partner or you specifically?

I'm shooting for a 1:45 (came in just under 2 hrs last year), and I'd be happy to have someone to run with, if she's interested. My husband is running too but his goal is the same as yours (1:30 or better), so I know he'll be out of sight shortly after crossing the start line.

Amy

I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be me specifically. I'll ask her though. She actually used to be very fast when we first met, but she hasn't been running much lately. Maybe this will motivate her. :)

I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be me specifically. I'll ask her though. She actually used to be very fast when we first met, but she hasn't been running much lately. Maybe this will motivate her. :)

Very fast, huh?

Maybe she'll motivate ME to get my old self in gear...:coach: :movefast:

Or just run me into the ground. :thud:

Meh...either way, there's beer at the end! :cheers:

Amy

A couple questions if anyone here has answers:

1. What is the technical shirt upgrade, and is it worth it?

2. What is the pasta dinner? Is that the night before? What does it entail?

And, if these questions are answered on the site, my apologies, as I stink at the internets. :D

A couple questions if anyone here has answers:

1. What is the technical shirt upgrade, and is it worth it?

2. What is the pasta dinner? Is that the night before? What does it entail?

And, if these questions are answered on the site, my apologies, as I stink at the internets. :D

The shirt upgrade is from regular long-sleeve 50/50 to microfibre material.

If you plan to run in it sometime, personally I'd pick the upgrade.

Don't know about the pasta dinner: http://www.armytenmiler.com/Raceinfo/PastaDinner.cfm

Looks like a big get together in the hotel with some ceremonies and general army hooah activites :). Probably more targeted at teams and out of towners.

Beer sucks after running. Sorry, but it has to be said . . .
Beer buzz with runner' s high can be a great combo. :pint:

Obviously, it's a personal preference. :)

For me, I don't particularly want beer immediately after a race (and I don't recall it being offered at the ATM...unless I just missed it, which is totally possible! :laugh: ).

I was actually thinking of having a few later while watching the Skins game! :point2sky

Amy

Obviously, it's a personal preference. :)

For me, I don't particularly want beer immediately after a race (and I don't recall it being offered at the ATM...unless I just missed it, which is totally possible! :laugh: ).

I was actually thinking of having a few later while watching the Skins game! :point2sky

Amy

No ... the Army won't be serving you beer in the Pentagon parking lot before noon on a Sunday. :)

• 5 months later...

Ok, fellas...time to man up!!! :silly:

Who ran? How did you do???

Hubby & I ran. He finished in 1:32 something...pretty much what he was hoping to do. I finished in 2:26:21...a lot slower than I wanted, but considering my recent medical issues I'll take it. I kept thinking that if the MPIA guys can do it, then whatever I have going on won't stop me from getting out there too.

Condolences to the family of the fallen runner...25 is way too young. :(

Amy

I ran, i was MISERABLE!! I was trying to run~1:15-1:20; I was good through 7 miles, but mile 8, 9, and 10 I went into shut down mode. I ran (and walked!) about an average of 10:30 per mile. The heat, combined with 8 hrs of sleep over the previous 4 nights (newborn kiddo!) really took its toll on me. I am going to run in another race in a few weeks to redeem myself. I finished in the high 1:20's; a far cry from the 59-62 minute races i did in the late 90's when I was a young buck, 40 pounds lighter than today!

I ran, i was MISERABLE!! I was trying to run~1:15-1:20; I was good through 7 miles, but mile 8, 9, and 10 I went into shut down mode. I ran (and walked!) about an average of 10:30 per mile. The heat, combined with 8 hrs of sleep over the previous 4 nights (newborn kiddo!) really took its toll on me. I am going to run in another race in a few weeks to redeem myself. I finished in the high 1:20's; a far cry from the 59-62 minute races i did in the late 90's when I was a young buck, 40 pounds lighter than today!

Pat yourself on the back, dude! WOW! That's an awesome time!! :applause:

You did a far cry better than me. I figure now that I have a diagnosis that the next year will be spent trying to get everything under control, so I'll be able to train better (read: consistantly) for next year's race.

I'm running a 1 mile fun run with my 5 & 8 year old boys in a couple of weeks, then a 5k on Dec 1st. I think those distances are more in my range right now. I can definitely relate to missing the "old days" when I could run a 10 miler with no worries. :)

:cheers:

Amy

Archived