Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How to turn down a job advice

Leonard Washington

Hey guys I've been on the job hunt and I've received a ton of offers (a good problem). I haven't chosen a place yet but I do have ruled out some. I want some advice on how to let the places I don't want off the hook without sounding like a jerk and still leaving the door open in case the place I chose doesn't work out.

Also please advise on whether I should do it over the phone, in person, letter, or email.

Hey guys I've been on the job hunt and I've received a ton of offers (a good problem). I haven't chosen a place yet but I do have ruled out some. I want some advice on how to let the places I don't want off the hook without sounding like a jerk and still leaving the door open in case the place I chose doesn't work out.

Also please advise on whether I should do it over the phone, in person, letter, or email.

Just be honest and tell them you accepted an offer that is more suitable for you at the current moment.

Say thank you for the offer, but I have been made this offer: (say an amount that they can't match, or an amount that if they did match would be worth going to) I would be willing to consider the position if you can match this offer, or something along those lines.

Say thank you for the offer, but I have been made this offer: (say an amount that they can't match, or an amount that if they did match would be worth going to) I would be willing to consider the position if you can match this offer, or something along those lines.

i would not even bring up the money, that makes it look you were just looking for the highest offer and not the best opportunity, then you do look like a jerk

i would not even bring up the money, that makes it look you were just looking for the highest offer and not the best opportunity, then you do look like a jerk

Then the entire world is filled with nothing but jerks. Why would he be a jerk for accepting a job that paid more and offering them the opportunity to match?

Doing it over the phone is fine. I wouldn't do e-mail. If you have another place that you would go to if they upped their price a reasonable amount (or did something else reasonable), tell them. Be polite. Most people are understanding as long as you haven't already made them some promise, and they are planning on you coming.

No I think honesty is the best policy. Be truthful with them. If money is the deciding factor then say that. If the money is significantly more then it's a no brainer why you're choosing the other position. If the money is close, then I might exagerate it a little, just to let them know that it wasn't a personal issue.

I would also tell the jobs you didn't choose it was a hard choice and that they were your first choice because of the "atmosphere", but in the end you thought that you had to accept the other position because of your responsiblities and family obligations. I would collect the names of the hireing officer and if the other job falls through drop them an email. Problem is it's unrealistic to expect them to keep the position open, if the other job falls through; you will likely be starting over from scratch.

Then the entire world is filled with nothing but jerks. Why would he be a jerk for accepting a job that paid more and offering them the opportunity to match?

you are not a jerk for accepting a job that offers more, but it would sound bad if you tell the company straight up you don't want to work for them because you got X, thats what I was pointing out, most likely when you tell a company that you probably wouldn't work for them in the future

it is clear his mind is made up so money is not an issue right now and he does not even have to mention it, now if he was still trying to decide and wanted to see if another company would offer more depending on what he recieved that is different

Doing it over the phone is fine. I wouldn't do e-mail. If you have another place that you would go to if they upped their price a reasonable amount (or did something else reasonable), tell them. Be polite. Most people are understanding as long as you haven't already made them some promise, and they are planning on you coming.

correct, or even better is to mail them a thank you card for the interview and offer and just let them you know you choosed something else, that is a very nice touch, little things like that will get you remembered down the road

No I think honesty is the best policy. Be truthful with them. If money is the deciding factor then say that. If the money is significantly more then it's a no brainer why you're choosing the other position. If the money is close, then I might exagerate it a little, just to let them know that it wasn't a personal issue.

I would also tell the jobs you didn't choose it was a hard choice and that they were your first choice because of the "atmosphere", but in the end you thought that you had to accept the other position because of your responsiblities and family obligations. I would collect the names of the hireing officer and if the other job falls through drop them an email. Problem is it's unrealistic to expect them to keep the position open, if the other job falls through; you will likely be starting over from scratch.

Your first paragraph doesn't seem to square with your second.

Money definitely isn't the only deciding factor. I'm a scientist so the opportunities aren't exactly the same because of the research and environment. My salary is negotiable but given the state of science funding right now it dictates that the salaries are pretty much within 3-5K of each other. I rather make a little less, get some publications, and be happy than make more and be in a nest of backstabbing cannibals.

Thanks for the advice guys...

Money definitely isn't the only deciding factor. I'm a scientist so the opportunities aren't exactly the same because of the research and environment. My salary is negotiable but given the state of science funding right now it dictates that the salaries are pretty much within 3-5K of each other. I rather make a little less, get some publications, and be happy than make more and be in a nest of backstabbing cannibals.

Thanks for the advice guys...

then it is clear you are picking the job that gives you the best opportunity, congrats :cheers:

At your age, about the only job you're suited for is a Wal-Mart greeter.

Archived