Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Activist arrested for feeding homeless in Orlando

jpillian

Activist arrested for feeding homeless in Orlando

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/05/homeless.arrest.reut/index.html

"MIAMI, Florida (Reuters) -- Police have arrested an activist for feeding the homeless in downtown Orlando, Florida.

Eric Montanez, 21, of the charity group Food Not Bombs was charged with violating a controversial law against feeding large groups of destitute people in the city center, police said Thursday.

Montanez was filmed by undercover officers Wednesday as he served "30 unidentified persons food from a large pot utilizing a ladle," according to an arrest affidavit. The Orlando area is home to Disney World and Universal Studios Florida.

The Orlando law, which is supported by local business owners who say the homeless drive away customers but has been challenged in court by civil rights groups, allows charities to feed more than 25 people at a time within two miles (3.2 kilometers) of Orlando City Hall only if they have a special permit. They can get two permits a year.

Police collected a vial of the stew Montanez was serving as evidence.

Police spokeswoman Barbara Jones said in an e-mail it was the first time anyone had been arrested under the feeding ban.

Montanez was charged with a misdemeanor."

--------------------------------------------------

Now I can understand the intent of the law, but good grief -- this gives whole new meaning to the phrase: "let no good deed go unpunished!!" :laugh: :doh:

my favorite line was: "utilizing a ladle" they make it sound so serious.

I also like how it says, "police collected a vial of the stew...as evidence"

I agree with you, I mean, I guess I can see the intent of the law but arent they going a little far?

I'm sure there's a reasoning behind this law and everything but..

..using undercover officerS and video surveillance while collecting physical evidence..

Couldn't they have better used those resources elsewhere rather than trying to bust someone for feeding the homeless? Is that what tax dollars are being used for?

I'm sure there's a reasoning behind this law and everything but..

..using undercover officerS and video surveillance while collecting physical evidence..

Couldn't they have better used those resources elsewhere rather than trying to bust someone for feeding the homeless? Is that what tax dollars are being used for?

Apparently not. The priorities for the politicians, business and police are to move the 'problem' destitutes out of where they are most likely to be seen.

Are you suggesting that homeless human beings are like pigeons? :doh:

They both eat and poop in the middle of the city. ;)

Seriously though, he makes a valid point. If you give a mouse a cookie, it's going to want some milk. (Here's where you choose to jump on me for comparing humans to mice, or to listen to my point. :silly: ) Feeding the homeless is going to encourage them to congregate there. That doesn't mean homeless individuals aren't people, or that feeding them isn't good, but it does have consequences for the appearance of the city.

Seriously though, he makes a valid point. If you give a mouse a cookie, it's going to want some milk. (Here's where you choose to jump on me for comparing humans to mice, or to listen to my point. :silly: ) Feeding the homeless is going to encourage them to congregate there. That doesn't mean homeless individuals aren't people, or that feeding them isn't good, but it does have consequences for the appearance of the city.

So are you going to drink that milk?

The not in my backyard mentality is kind of like pigeons too you know

Isn't this how Guliani "cleaned" up the crime in New York city? By moving it to places where people couldn't really see it. Isn't that what they're trying to do in DC? These kinds of laws are absurd and are a big part of the reason few people have much faith in government and justice.

These kinds of laws are absurd and are a big part of the reason few people have much faith in government and justice.
Actually these types of laws are exactly what the public wants. Once you take ownership in your community by buying a home, raising a family, paying your taxes, you begin to realize that it is not just a place where you live. It is your investment in your future, and the future of your family.

Actually these types of laws are exactly what the public wants. Once you take ownership in your community by buying a home, raising a family, paying your taxes, you begin to realize that it is not just a place where you live. It is your investment in your future, and the future of your family.

And then you start to feel entitled to tell people that you don't like the way they look and force them to stay out of your sight, because it bothers you to ignore them.

:)

First, I am buying home, and I think it's bull**** to arrest someone for feeding homeless people. First, people say that they don't want government involved in feeding people and it should be done by the citizens, and then they arrest citizens that feed people.

Second, I think your point is irrelevant in this case.

Second, I think your point is irrelevant in this case.
Huh? My point is that this law was passed to keep large congregations of homeless people from milling around in the center of city. This was obviously done to maintain the look of the community, and preserve people's investment in it. When you buy your home, just wait till your nieghbor parks 5 junkers in his front yard. Although it would not bother you, it would bother most people.

Huh? My point is that this law was passed to keep large congregations of homeless people from milling around in the center of city. This was obviously done to maintain the look of the community, and preserve people's investment in it. When you buy your home, just wait till your nieghbor parks 5 junkers in his front yard. Although it would not bother you, it would bother most people.

I guess more people are concerned with the looks of things than actually how or why things are the way they are.

The problem with any situation like this is finding the balancing point between encouraging continued apathy and helping people who need it.

I think this person was doing an admirable thing in this case.

Sometimes I wish folks like Bill Gates, who while giving tons of money to fund different admirable causes, would just walk into a place like that and be like "I'm going to start a business building widgets right near here and I will employ each of you with a moderate salary and provide decent housing and food until you can support yourself." He could probably do something like that for under 10 million bucks. Now that's an investment. :)

the charity group Food Not Bombs

Weapons not food, not homes, not shoes

Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

I walk tha corner to tha rubble that used to be a library

Line up to tha mind cemetary now

What we don't know keeps tha contracts alive an movin'

They don't gotta burn tha books they just remove 'em

While arms warehouses fill as quick as tha cells

Rally round tha family, pockets full of shells

After all, the government is merely enforcing everybody's Constitutional Right to not see things they don't like, right? Oh, and don't forget the Right to Increased Property Value and Curb Appeal.
After all. Good post. :cheers:

After all, the government is merely enforcing everybody's Constitutional Right to not see things they don't like, right? Oh, and don't forget the Right to Increased Property Value and Curb Appeal.

But that's what the majority of us want! ;)

Archived