Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Updated Cap Figures

D-Day

The money has already been paid, as part of their bonus. It is just that the hit is spread out.

Understood. I think part and parcel of a Capologist's job is managing the cap hit.

And some contracts may end naturally. If Wynn sticks around, he will end his contract. It is Saleve'a's last year as well. Daniels has a couple years left.

But, you can never predict when a player will come to an end with the team. That's why there are parts of a contract where a player is protected, and when they aren't.

Agree.

This is why I included him on the list of intelligent Redskins moves. They got rid of a player for far less than he should have cost them, if only because they unloaded him partially at his financial expense and also because of what happened later. However, as I won't fault the team for signing a player who gets injured, I won't credit the team for cutting one who gets injured later. Maybe they knew something about the injury the Giants didn't, but Lavar was playing at the beginning of this season. He wasn't by the end. I count that as an injury sustained as a Giant.

I'm talking about his original injury, the one where he wasn't the same player after that. The skins recognised that he wouldn't be the same player and cut ties. Lavar made it much easier by having his hissyfit, so in a way, he did the Skins a favor. Considering that it took him a while for him to land with the Giants, I think other teams realised the same thing.

That said, I think the team should be recognized for getting 4.5M in cap relief from the Bears for a guy who clearly wasn't going to produce for the 'Skins. But the entire situation, viewed holistically, is still embarrassing. Archuleta cost us 5.6M (or something like that) to start 7 games. We did not get 5.6M production out of him; given the way he played I sometimes felt he should've been paying us to let him play. I call that a "bad" situation, though again I'm willing to applaud ever so softly the front office for stopping the bleeding on a gaping wound.

I don't think anyone would argue with that.

Jason

i don't understand why you'd want to see Collins go.

1. he knows the system

2. has a relatively low cap figure

3. who else are we gonna get as our 3rd string QB who knows the system AT ALL.

4. in truth, Brunell should be 3rd string with Collins the 2nd, IMO.

Because he is a third string Qb costing us 1.5 mil on the cap. By all accounts he was brought here to teach the system. He can do that as a coach. When he was in during preseason he looked real bad (and he doesn't get the learning the system excuse) so what are we gaining if he comes in.

The third QB slot needs to be a developmental guy/draft pick. We have that in Casey Bramlet who by all accounts is looking good.

Use him as the number 3, make collins a coach - save 1.25 on the cap.

If you are down to the 3rd qb you are probably screwed anyways.

If we don't cut springs he will be the second highest player on the team...that dosen't sound right. I like springs but he cost too much.

Agree, he's making more than he should at this point in his career, but he's still our best CB when healthy and last year has proven we need more than two CB's to be competetive. And with our CAP situation there's no way we can afford a starting caliber CB via FA and we need to use our draft pick on DL so I sure hope the FO sucks it up and keeps him on the team this year.:logo:

Agree, he's making more than he should at this point in his career, but he's still our best CB when healthy and last year has proven we need more than two CB's to be competetive. And with our CAP situation there's no way we can afford a starting caliber CB via FA and we need to use our draft pick on DL so I sure hope the FO sucks it up and keeps him on the team this year.:logo:

We'd be idiots to cut Springs no matter what you think of his skills.

We'd be idiots to cut Springs no matter what you think of his skills.

That's assuming you are thinking ONLY in terms of one year. $5 mil in cap space gone in 08 to keep him in 07. What will he accomplish in that one year? How many games will he stay upright for? How far will he decline this year? Maybe more importantly, is the team good enough now to be sacrificing future money to help this year's run?

I might not cut him, but I'd certainly trade him, especially if the talk of Detroit giving up their high 3rd for him was true.

On the springs debate, I think it is def in our best interest to keep him. We need him and the only way we can possibly think about trading or cutting him is if we do trade for Bly. Personally I would a secondary with both springs and bly.

Too me the talk of trading him without bly takes me back to last year, except that we will be starting the year in that position.

Also think about it this year. Next year we will be in a better position to ask for a paycutt. He will be another year older and he will be a cap plus to cut. Right now he is dealing from a position of strength. Next year not so much.

Too me the talk of trading him without bly takes me back to last year, except that we will be starting the year in that position.

Also think about it this year. Next year we will be in a better position to ask for a paycutt. He will be another year older and he will be a cap plus to cut. Right now he is dealing from a position of strength. Next year not so much.

Assuming that's true (and it isn't, necessarily), that doesn't at all change things. If he took a pay cut all the way to $2 mil (I highly doubt that), then you're still burning nearly $5 mil on him in 08, but now with the added bonus of burning 2.5 mil in 09 to keep him that one more year. And how good to you expect him to be at 33? Will he get less injury prone the older he gets?

As I said, you're thinking ONLY in terms of 07. That's an incredibly dumb thing for the team to do unless they really think we are likely to go on a SB run (which would be troubling in itself).

I hope we sign Springs and that we get a deal done with Cooley.I see no need for Collins or Daniels(even though he did almost break Peyton in half last year).How does Collins stay in this league and make a million per season.maybe well keep Wynn,when healthy hes not bad.

Assuming that's true (and it isn't, necessarily), that doesn't at all change things. If he took a pay cut all the way to $2 mil (I highly doubt that), then you're still burning nearly $5 mil on him in 08, but now with the added bonus of burning 2.5 mil in 09 to keep him that one more year. And how good to you expect him to be at 33? Will he get less injury prone the older he gets?

As I said, you're thinking ONLY in terms of 07. That's an incredibly dumb thing for the team to do unless they really think we are likely to go on a SB run (which would be troubling in itself).

I see what you are saying, but too me it is incredibly dumb to go into the season with CR and FS and Jimoh as your nickle with a 3rd or greater round draft pick as the 4th cornerback. Although we can look ahead to two or three years down the road, we also have to play next year.

To cut or trade him in 08 it is a 5 mil cap hit, after june first it is 2.484 mil dead cap in 08 and 09. He has a 5 mil and 6 mil salary in 08 and 09. I don't think he has a problem restructuring. We need him this year and he can be depth next year. Cutting him is reducing our depth and creating another hole we have to fill.

That's assuming you are thinking ONLY in terms of one year. $5 mil in cap space gone in 08 to keep him in 07. What will he accomplish in that one year? How many games will he stay upright for? How far will he decline this year? Maybe more importantly, is the team good enough now to be sacrificing future money to help this year's run?

I might not cut him, but I'd certainly trade him, especially if the talk of Detroit giving up their high 3rd for him was true.

Rufus, I am obvioulsy missing something here, please enlighten me. Is he due some type of roster bonus this year and or next, I wasn't aware of that, what are the details? If not is it not less of a cap hit for next year if we keep him this year assuming he is a June 1st cut in 08 as there will be one less year to take the hit on his signing bonus?

Rufus, I am obvioulsy missing something here, please enlighten me. Is he due some type of roster bonus this year and or next, I wasn't aware of that, what are the details? If not is it not less of a cap hit for next year if we keep him this year assuming he is a June 1st cut in 08 as there will be one less year to take the hit on his signing bonus?

His current contract details as reported - He has no further bonus money due that I see on the Charts (Charts are not 100% accurate as the actual contracts are closely guarded, but they have been damn close in the past).

07 - 4.874 mil Salary + 2.483 paid bonus money

08 - 5 mil Salary + 2.484 paid bonus money

09 - 6 mil salary + 2.484 paid bonus money

Costs to cut or trade pre june 1st each year

07 = 7.451

08 = 4.968

09 = 2.484

I think we are better off to let him play this year out and judge the options next year. If we are willing to cut him to think of the future cap space why stop there. Too me to cut him without a replacement is paramount to conceding the year, and that will not happen with JG as the head coach.

My opinion and I am entitled to it just like everyone else.

Well, PC has received word from his insider on the recent contracts given out and with his hard work and infinite knowledge here is our cap as of today.

http://www.skinsfans.com/pcinoz/Salaries%20Pages%20Summary.html

Current cap = 5.29 under

Available cuts/trades and their savings

Pre June 1st

Wynn = 2.5 mil

Collins= 1.25 mil

Daniels = 1.9 mil

Springs = .093 extra cap charge

If cut or traded Post June 1st and their 08 dead cap charge. Remember if you trade someone post june 1st it has to be after the actual date ergo no picks this year. Cough Cough Springs

Wynn = same as above (last year of his contract

Collins = Same as above (last year of his contract

Daniels = ***Remove for contract Confusion****** Should be around 2 mil in savings for a June 1st cut, unsure of the exact figures.

Springs = 4.875 mil savings = 4.968 Dead cap in 08

Still possible restructures if we get desperate for space.

Grif, Rabach, Springs (never declined a restructure, just a pay cut), Washington.

Here is the post that laid out the new contracts for the new signings.

Yoder got a $350,000 signing bonus. His cap number is $741,666.

Wade got a $3.5 million signing bonus and $100,000 workout bonuses each season, with his 2009 season being voidable. His cap number is $1,986,666.

Stoutmire got a $40,000 signing bonus and qualifies for the minimum salary benefit. His cap number is $475,000.

True the NFL has become a "mega-bussiness" aperture" and both side are carefully evaluating their options, some sensible some inane.

Accurate assessments are definitely essential however, a team must attempt to "live within their means".

When a bad acquisition is added to the roster, I must attribute this to "poor scouting and bad team practices", ala: Archuletta and Duckett, these two imposed a terrific impact on the team in both salary cap issues and draft selections that would be left available. Someone has to be held accountable for these decisions and to date no one has "stepped-up" to claim the major influence.

Coach Gibbs' will bear the brunt of this "debacle" and I truly admire his acceptance of responsibility.

I truly admire coach Gibbs and his phylosophy of leadership. It's time for the "upper eschelon" of the organization to do their share and earn their paychecks. :mad:

:applause: That's what needs to happen. We're under the cap, we've gotten what we wanted in the offseason. We need DL with the #6. Keep him 1 more year and then cut him or restructure and move him to FS.

Anybody know how much dead money is coming off the cap next year? or is that already figured into the 124 mil for next year's cap projection?

that is updated with the lost contracts from the cuts this year,

Just warning you guys you will here the cap hell calls and such again next year, but just keep in mind we can and will eliminate about 15 mil of that with a stroke of a pen.

Plus we have tons of possible restructures available next year again.

Archived