Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are The Redskins Finally Moving Back To DC?

[S.S.F. | Nero]

Okay this is rant time: hold on to your seat!

FEDEX FIELD = the worst game day experience in the NFL, despite it being a few miles outside of the city, there is nothing nearby! After a game at RFK you you can even walk a few blocks and catch a cab... yeah try that at FEDEX. And to those who might potentially whine about losing tailgating space. This isn't LSU college football! We're talking about the Redskins here. Who've always played in the city up until FEDEX was built. I don't think there was any tailgating going on at ol Griffith Stadium either.

Bringing the team back into the city might put some focus back on the game being played! At RFK my family had the simplest way to get to the stadium coming from Northern VA. We'd stop at the Market Inn right off 395 and catch a coach bus from there to RFK after getting a good early brunch. Traffic was a nonexistant concern driving from one of the city to another through neighborhoods. I could sit on the bus, listen to the Frank Sonny and Sam and just focus on the game.

There's nothing I hate more on game day than being psyched about a game and then getting pissed off because someone forgot the hot dog buns lol. or the beer's warm for God's sake. But then people wonder why FEDEX field has become a drunken hooligans paradise (old word I know). Cuz the game day experience sucks so bad that people have to drink more to make up for it and thus allowing the tailgating culture that suppports hooliganism to take over. There's a reason why Ohio State had to ban alcohol OUTSIDE their games you know. And then now I'm worried about bringing my 7 year old nephew to my upper level seats because of embarassing and offensive Redskins fans so drunk off their ass that they aren't watching the game. Instead they're just trading loud insults with whatever other fan might be in the crowd. This is the reason I hate going to games at FEDEX.

I do have a strain of a reasoning here, however hard to follow it may be. I can provide witness to how unfriendly the upper level has become. I think by the increase in this kind of behavior, many long time Skins fans have decided to stop attending. Which only makes the problem worse because those tickets end up being sold to people that exacerbate the issue by not having respect for the ticket, the team, or other fans in attendance. In my opinion Redskins fans have lost their title as the most respectful fans in the NFL.

And to the tailgating faithful, I'm sorry if this comes across as a direct knock on you guys. I might sound old and crotchety, but I love a good tailgate. I have friends with season tickets that tailgate respectfully at every game with great food and drinks. But then the four people that show up with a 30 case of Bud Light and finish it all before going in (I've seen this) give tailgaters bad reps in my opinion. Those kinds of fans are clearly looking to be obnoxious in the first place and there shouldn't be a place for them at FEDEX or at any professional stadium.

And lastly, I'm not even anti-alcohol at games! I drink my fair share. I'm 5 10 150 lbs and I can outdrink people with 100 pounds on me. LOL thats what going to college in New Orleans will do to you. I just don't understand the concept of going to a game looking for a bar room style fight. As a season ticket holder it absolutely blows my mind.

And as an urban planner by education, I can say with experience that place and building does matter. Compare game day experiences of Camden Yards and FEDEX and then tell me that place and building doesn't matter.

Does anyone hear me on this? I think that everything I brought up is somehow all tied together through FEDEX Field.

David

Okay this is rant time: hold on to your seat!

FEDEX FIELD = the worst game day experience in the NFL, despite it being a few miles outside of the city, there is nothing nearby!

I agree with you I enjoy the tailgating at fedex, but I think it would be cool if it was in downtown or even close to the National stadium it could be like baltimore which i feel has a cool atmosphere with the inner harbor and all. That way if you wanna tailgate to can go to a bar...and football is back in DC

There was plenty of room to tailgate at RFK. However, not nearly as many people tailgated in those days, b/c tailgating wasn't essential to avaoiding pre and post game traffic like it is today at FedEx.

Don't get me wrong, RFK had plenty of traffic, but the volume was only 55k and not the 92,000 we know today. RFK is in a more central location, fed by more roads to move the traffic than FedEx. RFK's Metro station is only 3 blocks away, thus encouraging ridership as opposed to the 1 mile walk a Metro rider must endure to and from FedEx today. More people probably took the Metro to RFK, than do FedEx today.

All being said, if Danny puts a 100,000 seat stadium at RFK, the traffic will probably be just as bad as FedEx is today, and the parking will be limited to the rich and important only. Sorry 400 level folk, you'll be taking the train or the bus.

FEDEX being an expensive stadium is right, Snyder is sitting on a real estate gold mine with FEDEX. the sale of the property would easily fund half or at least a third of the new stadium costs upfront. Perfect... PG gets their new community afterall (which they wanted in the first place over the stadium) and Washington gets it's Redskins back. :D

Hell yeah....I live right outside Baltimore and I honestly dont want my team to be considered... In maryland with the damn crap shoot ravens

Why... I love Maryland.

That said, I'd rather actually be the Washington Redskins, not the Landover/Raljon Redskins.

FedEx is ten years old. Why build a new stadium already? Seems like a huge waste of money.

Uh because ten years ago we saw how rushed the construction of fed ex was and it was Jack Kent Cookes money.

I'm sure a combo of DC and Snyder money via skinsfan PSLs can make this doable in the next decade and rival the Cowpoke new stadium being built and probably be part of a future attraction for Summer Olympics in DC.

They belong back in the city and it's not a far-fetched idea. All Snyder has to do is sell the land that FedEX sits on (which is valued very high) and take the money received from the sale to build the new stadium. Fenty will likely tell Snyder that the city will pay for the land and road infrastructure where the new stadium will be. Snyder will own the land the new stadium sits on, the actual stadium itself, and the adjacent land that will compromise retail shops and other entities.

Number One rule of business... never spend your own money.;)

I firmly believe that's what's holding the project back.

Not to mention the fact that the State of MD has a 30 year contract with the Skins and FedEx Field. It's only 10 years old at the moment.

My "non Redskin fan" friends ALWAYS throw that in my face when we're talkin football. Your team doesnt even play in DC!!!!

Bring the Skins back to Da City.

Just say that,

The Giants and Jets play in New Jersey, and the Cowboys new stadium is in Arlington.

But the Redskins still need to come home.

but think of the ticket price increase. prices are already high but itll be even worse if we get a new stadium.

If he builds it with his money and/or money from the sale of the FedEx site, there will be no reason to raise ticket prices as he won't have a lease or debt to pay off.

anyone who says our team "doesn't even play in DC" is ignorant

I can understand saying that about the Giants/Jets cause NY unlike DC is actually in a state

DC was created from land from Virginia and Maryland, so the Redskins represent the district and both states

D.C. has boundaries, like any city, last time I checked Prince George's County isn't part of Washington D.C. the same as Arlington County isn't either.

One could say the Skins play in the D.C. area - but not in D.C. technically.

The point about moving back into the city proper is about the life surrounding the stadium. You know, like city services, public transportation, entertainment and hospitality that a large grassy field in P.G. next door to a super church, parking lots and the Beltway just does not offer. The suburban stadium model was officially and thankfully killed by Camden Yards. Well, except for ol' Jack Kent Cooke Stadium.

Would the Yankees be the same if they played in Scarsdale New York? Come to think of it. Scarsdale might have more amenities than what surrounds FEDEX right now.

If he builds it with his money and/or money from the sale of the FedEx site, there will be no reason to raise ticket prices as he won't have a lease or debt to pay off.

Actually, he will be FORCED to raise ticket prices, as the city location will encourage train/bus riders and walkers for getting to the game. What does this mean? Danny boy will have to compensate for no longer being able to milk each car of fans for $30 on their way into the cash lots.

I have known ever since the Snyder regime tried to charge fans to park at training camp back in the day that this ownership is driven more by the dollar and bottom line than by football. Maybe it's a microcosm of the NFL today, maybe it's just a bumbling owner with too much money to spend. Either way, it's just sad.

Gibbs then SAUNDERS as head coach + Skins back in DC + continuing the new approach to personnel = Glory again....:2cents:

Archived