Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evangelicals condemn US use of torture

Sisyphus

I have a dry-erase board in my office that we always put quotes up on. For the past two or three days its read:

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

A Phrase that's stuck in my head for years:

If it's stupid, but it works,

Then it isn't.

Personally I was directing my hate (actually more scorn, pity and derision ... I'm not the hateful kind :)) toward the self-indulgent, powerful majority who claim to be persecuted. Not on those of faith. :)

Well, if you're short of hate, stick around. This is a full-service forum. :)

Though our hate resovoirs are substantially lower than at times in the past and may drop again at any time.

You don't seem too scornful, either.

Probably just another softy trying to appear coarse. :D

Well, if you're short of hate, stick around. This is a full-service forum. :)

Though our hate resovoirs are substantially lower than at times in the past and may drop again at any time.

You don't seem too scornful, either.

Probably just another softy trying to appear coarse. :D

:stfu:

This thread has been hijacked by nefarious elements of the ES community who feel it is funny to make jokes about christians, baptisms and Ronald Reagan. Well, we'll see who's laughing WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES!!!!

The Rapture Index is at 159, which indicates heavy prophetic activity. Anything past 160 the site says to "fasten your seatbelts."

It could be any day now.

http://www.raptureready.com/rap2.html

With you, tis but a wish...

With me...a simple click ;)

Ummm... errr.... what I meant was... Jumbo that was a lovely, insightful post filled with humor, wit, and intelligence. In other words the norm from you. Please keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Can I ask an honest question? Why won't the Vatican open its libraries?
I don't know. I'm a Baptist. Maybe because its full of da Popa's dirty laundry?

By the way, I wanted to say sorry to you for that barb a few weeks ago that ticked you off. I think you know which one. It wasn't really intended to be insulting, but I realize it was bad form. My apologies. :)

You believe it to be true and you cut and pasted it here under your name.
I do believe it.
It doesn't matter who 'said' it.
Ok...did you here that whoever posted a quote from Galileo? :doh:
Christianity is powerful to many precisely because it has built into it this self-reinforcing idea ... that Christians should expect to be persecuted
You can't see that today in many of the "name it and claim it" churches.
... that people who deny the message are afraid and are "hiding from the light"
I believe you are. Scared? You should be, you should be...(in best yoda voice)
... that people who try to reason this kind of stuff are pitching their intellect against that of a supreme being. :doh::laugh:
I am a teacher in the evangelical church. I teach disciples that there are three teachers in a Christians life.

1. Holy Spirit - that is God

2. Reason - God gave us a brain for a reason. Use it.

3. The church

To paraphrase Galileo ... if a supreme being gave humans a powerful brain, wouldn't he want it to be used? :laugh:
Absolutely. Galileo was dealing with people who felt threatened in their political power by his research.

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

;)

Voltaire was brilliant no doubt, its a shame he rejected religion outright. My favorite from him is "One hundred years from my day there will not be a Bible in the earth except one that is looked upon by an antiquarian curiosity seeker." :)

I am a teacher in the evangelical church. I teach disciples that there are three teachers in a Christians life.

1. Holy Spirit - that is God

2. Reason - God gave us a brain for a reason. Use it.

3. The church

You say you're a teacher, so which of the three are you again? ;)

I posted it to provide the text of the quote after Sisyphus paraphrased it.

Here's my all-time favorite quote:

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

;)

This is a self-defeating statement. :)

"Everything Harry tells you is a lie -- remember that! Everything Harry tells you is a lie!"

"Now listen to me carefully, Norman laddie; I - am - lying!"

"You lie, but if everything you say is a lie then you must be telling the truth, but you cannot be telling the truth because everything you say is a lie... you lie, you tell the truth, you– Illogical! Illogical! Please explain! You are human! Only humans can explain their behavior! Please explain!"

(mockingly) "I am not programmed to respond in that area..."

- Kirk and Mudd, delivering the final coup d'grace to Norman

Anyway ... especially for JMS and Jumbo (apparently his membership has expired), and in the spirit of interfaith dialog, here's a piece from Landover Baptist on St Patrick's Day, titled:

Does America Really Need Another Excuse For Catholics to Get Drunk?

Not one of their better pieces, but at least they are trying, and it's the season.

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0301/stpatrick.html

Does America Really Need Another Excuse For Catholics to Get Drunk?

There are more Catholics than just Irish Catholics... I come to expect this type of drivel. My wife's relatives thought I didn't neuter my cat because it was against my religion..

People are still upset with Catholics over Galileo. Just for the record. We didn't burn him at the stake. He admitted his mistake, accepted responsibility and retired to one of our elder hostiles, where he was given free ink and paper to write down his heretical beliefs to his hearts content.

This is how we treat one of the founding members of the Illuminati. Galileo got of lite..... um.... light.

Also for the record. I have yet to see any albino hitmen from the vatican at services...

People are still upset with Catholics over Galileo. Just for the record. We didn't burn him at the stake. He admitted his mistake and retired to one of our elder hostiles.

This is how we treat one of the founding members of the Illuminati. Galileo got of lite..... um.... light..

Admitted his mistake? Are you suggesting that Earth is the center of the Universe?

You might be a fundy atheist if...You love to castigate Christians for being "anti-science" if they deny evolution from goo to you via the zoo, and to preach that they should adapt their thinking to the "science" of our day. But you also castigate the Church of 400 years ago for being anti-science, when it DID adapt its thinking to the science of ITS day, i.e. Ptolemaic cosmology, then joined with the Aristotelian scientists of the universities in rejecting Galileo!

:laugh:

Looks like Christians are starting to recall Christian principles, how dandy! This could spell major long term trouble for the GOP...

The Christian right represents a small part of the kingdom of God. Most Dems I know are Christians the true values are normally called liberal.

The Christian right represents a small part of the kingdom of God. Most Dems I know are Christians the true values are normally called liberal.

Changed that to

"Looks like the "Christian right" is starting to recall Christian principles" :cheers:

Archived