Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evangelicals condemn US use of torture

Sisyphus

Looks like the "Christian right" is starting to recall Christian principles, how dandy! This could spell major long term trouble for the GOP...

CNN ran this story yesteraday:

Global warming gap among evangelicals widens

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/14/evangelical.rift/index.html

Cizik has been outspoken on the global warming issue, saying in a recent documentary that "to harm this world by environmental degradation is an offense against God."

But Dobson and the other signatories of the letter to the National Association of Evangelicals board said evidence supporting global warming was not conclusive and that the organization "lacks the expertise to settle the controversy."

"The issue should be addressed scientifically and not theologically," they said, calling on the group's board to either rein in Cizik or encourage him to resign.

One of the men who signed the letter, Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council, said global warming was part of a leftist agenda that threatened evangelical unity.

"We're not going to allow third parties to divide evangelicals, and I think that is what is happening in part with the global warming issue," Perkins said.

However, the association board not only stood behind Cizik, but also further broadened the group's agenda with a statement condemning torture, which charged that in pursuing the war on terror, the United States had crossed "boundaries of what is legally and morally permissible."

But one of the board members, the Rev. Paul de Vries, said, "It ought to be God's agenda, not the Republican Party's agenda, that drives us.

"We're actually tired of being represented by people with a very narrow focus," he said. "We want to have a focus as big as God's focus."

Looks like Christians are starting to recall Christian principles, how dandy! This could spell major long term trouble for the GOP...

CNN ran this story yesteraday:

Global warming gap among evangelicals widens

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/14/evangelical.rift/index.html

So, y'all gonna keep bashing people of faith just because you don't like us? Or you gonna find some other reason?

So, y'all gonna keep bashing people of faith just because you don't like us? Or you gonna find some other reason?

I've always had the impression that their numbers include a disproportionate number of Cowboy fans.

And since we're talking about judging people as a group, my impressions are facts, and cannot be discussed.

:)

Isn't not liking someone/something a good enough reason to bash it? :whoknows:
Sure, why not? I honestly don't expect any less from those who are not Christians (that's not an insult btw). Jesus himself said that "This is the crisis we're in: God-light streamed into the world, but men and women everywhere ran for the darkness. They went for the darkness because they were not really interested in pleasing God. Everyone who makes a practice of doing evil, addicted to denial and illusion, hates God-light and won't come near it, fearing a painful exposure. But anyone working and living in truth and reality welcomes God-light so the work can be seen for the God-work it is."

Looks like Christians are starting to recall Christian principles, how dandy! This could spell major long term trouble for the GOP...

Yep, I was wondering when folks who call themselves Christian would start to employ their faith in something other than gay bashing...

Turning semi-serious for a moment, doesn't the Judeo-Christian philosophy support the idea of torture. Afterall, what is the purpose of eternal damnation, but extended and ever-worsening torture?

Well their is no agreement in Christianity exactly what eternal damnation is... For Catholics it's just living outside the grace of god.

There is a difference in identifying it, and purpetrating the torture yourself. I don't think torture is a supported Christian value. That some "Christians" have done it doesn't make it so.

Then how do they reconcile making people sit through hours of really boring poorly delivered sermons every Sunday.

I kid. I kid.

That's a good one. I've been through that. Nothing worse than a boring preacher. I like them to pound on the pulpit. :)
Turning semi-serious for a moment, doesn't the Judeo-Christian philosophy support the idea of torture. Afterall, what is the purpose of eternal damnation, but extended and ever-worsening torture?
It depends if you really want to know. There are some in Orthodox Christian circles who believe in the annihilation scenario; your length of sentence in the lake of fire is determined by your deeds in life, then you are annihilated. Others (probably majority) believe in everlasting torment, but I've never heard of it increasing. I personally hold to the torment view, but its not just physical, its spiritual torment in darkness forever. No light, no good, no God, no life. Jesus called it "outer darkness" and with "weeping and gnashing of teeth." Man it saddens me thinking about how many people will end up there. :(

Sure, why not? I honestly don't expect any less from those who are not Christians (that's not an insult btw). Jesus himself said that "This is the crisis we're in: God-light streamed into the world, but men and women everywhere ran for the darkness. They went for the darkness because they were not really interested in pleasing God. Everyone who makes a practice of doing evil, addicted to denial and illusion, hates God-light and won't come near it, fearing a painful exposure. But anyone working and living in truth and reality welcomes God-light so the work can be seen for the God-work it is."

Eh... seems like anytime somebody says something about not agreeing with or not liking Christianity, Christians cry about 'Christian bashing'. I just don't see it. I always wonder how Christians reconcile someone like myself - someone who believes heavily in Jesus's messages of loving all human (and non-human) life, treats life with the highest respect, and probably lives closer to what Jesus would really want people to live like than most religious types - yet, despises organized religion with all the rituals and what I consider, at least, low level brain washing. To me, there is a VERY thin line between organized religions and cults.

I presume you're proud of yourself for that little burst of rhetoric. Sanctimonious and deluded much?

"Addicted to denial and illusion" ... "living in truth and reality" ... from a Creationist ... oh the irony :doh::laugh:

More people have died and been killed in Christs name than any other name in the history of human kind. That's not a knock on Christ, just an observation that a lot of folks down through history have used Christs name to justified a lot of severely messed up behavior.

Unfortunately for your point about Christians being persecuted, we're not talking about Christians being persecuted for following Christs teachings. We're talking about "Christians" who are myopically focused on persecuting others and who subsequently have totally abandoning Christs teachings in everything but name. Like being anti gay was one of Christ's top ten? Like Christ even mentioned it once. As with Abortion. As with imposing your religion doctrine on others. As with condemning any of God's children for whatever perceived offense they've committed against your interpretation and dogma.

Basically people are Bashing "Christians" for supporting and championing a President and policies which couldn't be farther away from God's values as taught by Christ, then six years down the road taking note that they're supporting torture? Like that hasn't been obvious for more than half a decade!

Everyone who makes a practice of doing evil, addicted to denial and illusion, hates God-light and won't come near it, fearing a painful exposure.

And how does that line apply to folks who have condoned false imprisonment, torture, and wanton killings on a scale of tens/hundreds of thousands because they're myopically focused on they're own petty hatreds at home?

What do you think Jesus would say about that?

Evangelicals in this latest and modern identity don't represent any Christian values I've ever subscribed too!

They give Christians and Christ a bad name..

And how does that line apply to folks who have condoned false imprisonment, t0rture, and wanton k1llings on a scale of tens/hundreds of thousands because they're myopically focused on they're own petty hatreds at home?

What do you think Jesus would say about that?

Oh oh oh... I know the answer to that one. *ahem* "They're not real Christians."

I presume you're proud of yourself for that little burst of rhetoric. Sanctimonious and deluded much?
Not really. Just stating what Jesus said and what I believe is the truth.
"Addicted to denial and illusion" ... "living in truth and reality" ... from a Creationist ... oh the irony :doh::laugh:
You're proving Jesus right, not proving me wrong. There not my words.

You do know he's quoting the bible don't you?That little burst of rhetoric wasn't exactly his opinion. :)

Archived