Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Designing Your Baby Genetically

E-Dog Night

http://health.msn.com/pregnancykids/pregnancy/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100157198

Kinda scary.

------

Designing Your Baby

The technology is in place to order up a child’s physical traits or intellect. The issue is how far we want to take it.

By Scott McCredie for MSN Health & Fitness

It started a decade ago with Dolly the Scottish sheep, the world’s first cloned mammal. Then a year later came Lucy the Canadian mouse, the first mammal with artificially implanted genes that could be inherited by her offspring. Since then, the world has expressed a mixture of confusion, horror and optimism at the potential of genetic engineering to prevent diseases in humans and “enhance” physical or cognitive traits.

So where does this technology stand? Are we any closer to creating so-called “designer babies”? And is there a developing darker side in which parents intentionally alter a baby’s genetic makeup so he has the same condition, such as deafness or dwarfism, as his parents?

If the last question shocks you, be clear that a survey published by the medical journal Fertility and Sterility showed that about 3 percent of U.S. fertility clinics—four out of 137 responding clinics that perform embryo screening—already have performed procedures to help couples create children with a disability such as dwarfism or deafness.

First, a few definitions are needed. According to Marcy Darnovsky, associate director of the Center for Genetics and Society, in Oakland, Calif., when people say “designer baby” they often mean different things. Some refer to the ability to select the sex of an embryo; others interpret it as selecting the embryo (fertilized egg) itself. Embryo selection is increasingly used for in vitro procedures when couples are at high risk for certain genetic diseases, such as cystic fibrosis. It allows them to screen out embryos carrying genes associated with the disease.

Most scientists avoid the “designer baby” phrase altogether, preferring “germline engineering” or inheritable genetic modification (IGM), defined as the altering of genes that pass on to future generations. This contrasts with non-inheritable gene therapy, such as when altered genes are added to body tissue, say, a diseased lung, in efforts to improve function.

(click on link above for entire article)

No, probably not. I think there will be a market to order up very smart, good looking children who are genetically pre-disposed to earning large sums of money, coupled with a highly generous streak and an intesnse loyalty to their parents.

It's not a baby, it's a cash cow!

This is exactly like that old SNL skit with Eric Idle. (If anyone else remembers this I'll eat my hat)

He plays a prenatal geneticist counseling a couple on all the "customized options" available for their newborn.

"I'd like a shrimp-headed welder, with pods!"

Freaking classic.

This is exactly like that old SNL skit with Eric Idle. (If anyone else remembers this I'll eat my hat)

He plays a prenatal geneticist counseling a couple on all the "customized options" available for their newborn.

"I'd like a shrimp-headed welder, with pods!"

Freaking classic.

I seem to remember that, was it a really old one, or was it a late 90's one?

No, it was Star Trek 2.

Khan was a eugenics product, remember what happened there.

KHAN!!!! KHAN!!!!

William Shatner's never acted so pissed... :laugh:

I think I'd order my kiddo with a laser beam. Spanking would be out the window of course, but man she'd kick ass... :laugh:

I know that there aren't a lot of Anime fans here, but there are a series of animes call the Gundam series where basically there is a war between the genetically engineered (coordinators) and the non genetically engineered (naturals).

I know its a cartoon but it does point out how people can be and the inherent dangers in this sort of action in the future.

I know that there aren't a lot of Anime fans here, but there are a series of animes call the Gundam series where basically there is a war between the genetically engineered (coordinators) and the non genetically engineered (naturals).

I know its a cartoon but it does point out how people can be and the inherent dangers in this sort of action in the future.

Wasn't that the premise for part of the show Earth2? They called them "tanks" and they had no bellybutton.

Wasn't that the premise for part of the show Earth2? They called them "tanks" and they had no bellybutton.

Never saw that show, but the anime I mentioned is really good... People dismiss anime because it is a cartoon but really a lot of it has really good writing and isn't always directed at 6 year olds

Archived