Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Halliburton Will Move HQ to Dubai

alexey

Halliburton Will Move HQ to Dubai

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4620179.html

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Oil services giant Halliburton Co. will soon shift its corporate headquarters from Houston to the Mideast financial powerhouse of Dubai, chief executive Dave Lesar announced Sunday.

"Halliburton is opening its corporate headquarters in Dubai while maintaining a corporate office in Houston," spokeswoman Cathy Mann said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "The chairman, president and CEO will office from and be based in Dubai to run the company from the UAE."

Lesar, speaking at an energy conference in nearby Bahrain, said he will relocate to Dubai from Texas to oversee Halliburton's intensified focus on business in the Mideast and energy-hungry Asia, home to some of the world's most important oil and gas markets.

"As the CEO, I'm responsible for the global business of Halliburton in both hemispheres and I will continue to spend quite a bit of time in an airplane as I remain attentive to our customers, shareholders and employees around the world," Lesar said. "Yes, I will spend the majority of my time in Dubai."

Lesar's announcement appears to signal one of the highest-profile moves by a U.S. corporate leader to Dubai, an Arab boomtown where free-market capitalism has been paired with some of the world's most liberal tax, investment and residency laws.

"The eastern hemisphere is a market that is more heavily weighted toward oil exploration and production opportunities and growing our business here will bring more balance to Halliburton's overall portfolio," Lesar said.

In 2006, Halliburton _ once headed by Vice President Dick Cheney _ earned profits of $2.3 billion on revenues of $22.6 billion.

More than 38 percent of Halliburton's $13 billion oil field services revenue last year stemmed from sources in the eastern hemisphere, where the firm has 16,000 of its 45,000 employees.

Cheney was Halliburton's chief executive from 1995-2000 and the Bush administration has been accused of favoring the conglomerate with lucrative no-bid contracts in Iraq.

Federal investigators last month alleged Halliburton was responsible for $2.7 billion of the $10 billion in contractor waste and overcharging in Iraq.

Halliburton last month announced a 40-percent decline in fourth-quarter profit, despite heavy demand for its oil field equipment and personnel.

___

Wondering if they're moving there to dodge taxes, or subpoenas?

Wondering if this will mean that they can't receive any more no-bid contracts for anything important, since any company from the UAE can't be trusted with anything important to the US.

Why would they want to move from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave? That's a sweet location for a Multi-International company.
Don't you mean the US Naval Observatory?

By the way, what's up with the portrait of John Laroquette (sp?) ?

Wasn't that his name on Night Court? I grew up with that show, along with Taxi.

Yep. Dan was one of the sleaziest (and funniest) characters in TV history. Night Court was BY FAR my favorite show growing up - plus, it had that kick ass opening theme music. :)

I wonder too if some of the moves are to safeguard themselves from recent scrutiny. On 60 Minutes yesterday (I think it was 60 Minutes) they mentioned that Haliburton had overcharged/swindled us (the US Government out of 2.7 billion dollars) and were facing quite a few law suits.

Yep. Dan was one of the sleaziest (and funniest) characters in TV history. Night Court was BY FAR my favorite show growing up - plus, it had that kick ass opening theme music. :)
Like I said, great show!

Between him and Louis DePalma (Danny Devito) from taxi, can you think of two sleezier characters? :laugh:

Taxi is definately in my top five shows. Night Court trailed off badly towards the end.

One of the worst last episodes in history - I mean Bull went to outer space. :wtf:

This is one of the weirdest hijacks ever on ES - from Haliburton to Night Court in less than a page. :laugh:

Hope not. Halliburton still deserves to have it's feet put under the fire. It's been getting away with murder, theft, and treason for too many years.
And people don't already know this with all the play it gets in mainstream media? Come'on Burgold.:)

Come on, you don't consider it treason when Haliburton knowingly, intentionally, and repeatedly serves spoiled food to our troops causing a lowering of troop morale and illness. You don't consider it theft when Haliburton comes up with 2.7 billion dollars in charges for work that they never did? You don't call it murder when Haliburton refuses to pay for (adequate) security for any of their operations in Iraq (okay, I'm stretching a little here, but I'm sure the murder will show up sooner or later, perhaps with the food poisoning)

Come on, you don't consider it treason when Haliburton knowingly, intentionally, and repeatedly serves spoiled food to our troops causing a lowering of troop morale and illness. You don't consider it theft when Haliburton comes up with 2.7 billion dollars in charges for work that they never did? You don't call it murder when Haliburton refuses to pay for (adequate) security for any of their operations in Iraq (okay, I'm stretching a little here, but I'm sure the murder will show up sooner or later, perhaps with the food poisoning)
I think you overestimate my opinion of Halliburton. I think they are corporate slime.

I'm also a realist (although Chomerics may disagree), and know that nothing significant will come of all of this. They won't fall.

We're probably in agreement for the most part then :) I'm just speculating that the move to Dubai is a pre-emptive move to protect them from some of their sliminess. Halliburton isn't uniquely crooked, but it seems to have really taken advantage of a lot of folks and many of those who bare the direct price shouldn't have to.

We're probably in agreement for the most part then :) I'm just speculating that the move to Dubai is a pre-emptive move to protect them from some of their sliminess. Halliburton isn't uniquely crooked, but it seems to have really taken advantage of a lot of folks and many of those who bare the direct price shouldn't have to.
I agree. I would like to see them go down Enron style or worse. The gov't should seize its assets or something.

I think you overestimate my opinion of Halliburton. I think they are corporate slime.

I'm also a realist (although Chomerics may disagree), and know that nothing significant will come of all of this. They won't fall.

Halli is a $31.8 billion dollar company, so they probably won't fall... However, this could generate some momentum for further Congressional investigations into the way government was conducting business, especially in light of Walter Reed privatization scandals.

I think this snowball will keep on rolling, considering 2008 is coming up. Republican Congresspeople will not try to impede investigations, but instead will try to distance themselves from the Administration. It's going to be a fun couple of years in terms of finding things out ;)

Halli is a $31.8 billion dollar company, so they probably won't fall... However, this could generate some momentum for further Congressional investigations into the way government was conducting business, especially in light of Walter Reed privatization scandals.

I think this snowball will keep on rolling, considering 2008 is coming up. Republican Congresspeople will not try to impede investigations, but instead will try to distance themselves from the Administration. It's going to be a fun couple of years in terms of finding things out ;)

Now careful, I don't want this to degenerate into Bush-Bash, I did vote for him, and I still like the man, even though I disagree with some of his decisions and have left the GOP for a more libertarian POV. I personally don't think he is a bad man, just not the brightest, but I hold him accountable still for tolerating blatant dishonesty in his administration. I would like to see him clean his house a little in his remaining term though, this includes the Halliburton crud.

Archived