Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Favorite STEAK with a Red Wine

Mark The Homer

Mark,

I don't mean to butt in, and tarhog might have his own take on this, but the absolute best steak to marinate IMO is skirt steak. They call it the butchers cut because it's real cheap but still delicious. It works wonderful with marinades because it has a pretty strong but good flavor of it's own and nice fat/meat ratio. You just have to make sure you cut against the grain when you slice it or it's tough.

I agree of the cuts though, I used buy sirloin all the time and now it's pretty much always ribeye (which I believe is also called delmonico) unless I'm making something in particular that calls for another cut.

lol.

my fave steak is any steak ;p

I goto Giant (its a grocery store for you out-of-towners) with my gf and search for anything on sale. Last night we made 2 14oz ny strips for 5 dollars.

Only problem is.. i'm not familiar with any other ways to make steak besides throw some salt, pepper and grilll seasoning on it and toss it on it a grill / skillet

Costco has some really nice steaks. My favorite is a rib eye, but a NY Strip is very good as well. Kansas City Strip from the Plaza III in KC is very good also. I'm not a huge fan of filet, they may be tender, but they are the least flavorful steak. I'd rather have a Rib Eye, Strip, KC Strip, Sirloin or Flank before any filet.

I don't mean to butt in, and tarhog might have his own take on this, but the absolute best steak to marinate IMO is skirt steak. They call it the butchers cut because it's real cheap but still delicious. It works wonderful with marinades because it has a pretty strong but good flavor of it's own and nice fat/meat ratio. You just have to make sure you cut against the grain when you slice it or it's tough.

Skirt steak is AWESOME. But nobody around here sells it!! :( All they have is flank steak. :(

Skirt and Flank steaks are very similar.

If you have ever had London Broil, typically it is made with a Flank steak, whereas fajitas should be made with a Skirt Steak.

Personally, not a big fan of either (and I think both are typically marinated, or should be). The meat is a little tougher and I eat my steaks mid-rare. They are flavorful, but its only because they are marinated. You can marinate any type of meet. For example Teriyaki is so much better when the meat is marinated.

This is the best steak marinade I have ever had - my Dad had it passed on to him when I was a kid in the 1960's, and I've never stopped loving it. A couple of you have had it at a Tailgate or two. You need to make the below marinade and soak your steaks in it 24 hrs ahead of time (48 hrs is even better):

Make your marinade with:

Most of a good bottle of Burgundy. You can use any red wine, but Burgundy is best, and its cheap. To the burgundy add a handful of dried parsley (yeah, I said handfull), and a handfull of minced onion flakes (don't be shy). Add 2 beef boullion cubes crushed up. Add a teaspoon of 'Accent', and a little bit of freshly ground black pepper (go easy). Get an entire head of garlic, peel the cloves, and cut them into halves. Rub each side of the steak with the garlic clove halves. Put some love and muscle into it. When you've really rubbed them down with the raw side of the garlic cloves, dice or mash the cloves up and add them to the wine mixture too. Add your steaks to this mix and let it marinate.

I know this sounds like an incredibly simple recipe, but it is unbelievably good. My kids call it 'purple steak', because the steaks literally turn purple in the marinade.

So that's the purple steak I've heard about around here. I'll have to try that! :hungry:

Skirt and Flank steaks are very similar.

If you have ever had London Broil, typically it is made with a Flank steak, whereas fajitas should be made with a Skirt Steak.

Personally, not a big fan of either (and I think both are typically marinated, or should be). The meat is a little tougher and I eat my steaks mid-rare. They are flavorful, but its only because they are marinated. You can marinate any type of meet. For example Teriyaki is so much better when the meat is marinated.

Skirt steak is tender if you marinate it correctly. Flank steak is a little tougher, IMO.

Not only does it have to be Rib Eye on the bone but I buy all of my cuts of steak from Nick's. I have them cut an 1 - 1 1/2" thick. They have the best cuts of steak around. Serve with some sauteed asparagus and twice baked garlic mashed potatoes.

Not only does it have to be Rib Eye on the bone but I buy all of my cuts of steak from Nick's. I have them cut an 1 - 1 1/2" thick. They have the best cuts of steak around. Serve with some sauteed asparagus and twice baked garlic mashed potatoes.

Location? :D

Waldorf and Prince Frederick.

Is there a website or specific location, which I think J was looking for ?

I dont know of a good butcher down here, and when I visit home, I would gladly make the trip to pick up some good quality butcher meat based on your recommendation.

Is there a website or specific location, which I think J was looking for ?

I dont know of a good butcher down here, and when I visit home, I would gladly make the trip to pick up some good quality butcher meat based on your recommendation.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/zLeViCNPdYb7bL-uph8ctw

http://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt=AkqxQsXDetkzwAkCYKBF49mHNcIF?id=12444128&state=MD&city=Waldorf&stx=Meats&csz=Waldorf%2C+MD&fr=&ed=rLtQlK131DzM37FilCb.aZEBtc8KMO5O1JiH0NAjZ.ZVX2nuoGtvekyb&lcscb=FKE5p638nhA

Google found me those.

Edit: and this: http://nicksofclinton.com/

http://nicksofclinton.com/meat.html :drool:

Skirt steak is tender if you marinate it correctly. Flank steak is a little tougher, IMO.

Yup, I totally agree with that. Skirt steak has a little more fat in it, which I likes, flank steak is all right if done properly but it's expensive which kind of takes away from it. If I'm gonna spend some cash then I'll get a good cut.

I think it's the mexican influence here, but skirt steak is always available. It's what they make fajitas out of. And it does have a good flavor but you defintely have to marinate it. Hell, you can get just about any part of a cow here, and some of the parts are so nasty looking I couldn't imagine eating them.

Tripe is not for me, but they have it at every grocery store. :puke:

Mark,

I don't mean to butt in, and tarhog might have his own take on this, but the absolute best steak to marinate IMO is skirt steak.

Skirt steak is AWESOME. But nobody around here sells it!! :( All they have is flank steak. :(

No wonder I"ve never heard of it. I guess I'll have to settle for sirloin then, if I want to marinade. Sound reasonable?

Very easy, great marinade is simply beer and soy sauce. If you like you can add a little garilc and pepper.

Also check where the beef is from. Corn fed beef (midwest) is far better than free range. It has a lot better flavor and texture. When we go to CA to visit the in-laws I don't even eat beef.

No wonder I"ve never heard of it. I guess I'll have to settle for sirloin then, if I want to marinade. Sound reasonable?

Last night georgiaredskin2 and I tried Tarhog's marinade with my parents. We marinated three ribeyes and a NY strip (because we bought the last three ribeyes) and it was delicious!

I'm not a big sirloin fan...tastes like salisbury steak to me.

You can marinate any cut of meat; you can even try those delmonicos you bought from Sam's Club. (That was you, right?)

How can you not go with filet? Some sauted carmelized mushrooms on the side. A nice salad, or maybe some asparagus tips. Would you please pass the bearnaise?

That is the exact way I would cook it too, only maybe with a little crumbled blue cheese on top of the carmelized onions, and they wouldnt be on the side but on top of the filet.

Archived