Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is your feeling on the Bly and draft pick rumors

chris_c_19960

One scenario that no one has mentioned is that we keep Springs after making the trade. The deal I read about said we get Bly, the first, second, and third in exchange for the #6 pick. Springs would most likely restructure his contract if he doesn't get sent to Denver cause no one wants to go to Detroit. We would then move him to FS, play Taylor at SS, and let the three corners compete for the starting spots. We then use the #21 pick on a DE since that position is deep in this draft. And that leaves us with 5 picks to build depth.

I understand his size is an issue being 5'9 but i really think he is able to neutralize a good receiver and with rodgers and smoot whoever is playing is more than able to cover the run...and hopefully with london being a sideline to sideline lb and using the 21st pick to get a de or okoye our lbs will be able to roam free to make the tackles and not leave or CBs on island outside like what happened last year

If the sorry Lions didn't blink about getting rid of Bly and the Broncos who just made the trade for him are willing to give him up, don't you think the Redskins are once again one the wrong side of a 3 card molly game??

Who is going to be the run support/ pass rushing cornerback bly or smoot??

No of course not the skins are pulling a fast one we are getting rid of a useless 6th overall pick that would force us to actually draft a defensive lineman that could make a difference.

Instead drafting at 21 means the Redskins can justify drafting an Olineman or safety.

On the brightside my burgundy and gold tinted glasses will be donated to the Maddenites if this deal goes thru.

One scenario that no one has mentioned is that we keep Springs after making the trade. The deal I read about said we get Bly, the first, second, and third in exchange for the #6 pick. Springs would most likely restructure his contract if he doesn't get sent to Denver cause no one wants to go to Detroit. We would then move him to FS, play Taylor at SS, and let the three corners compete for the starting spots. We then use the #21 pick on a DE since that position is deep in this draft. And that leaves us with 5 picks to build depth.

I think that is the ideal situation I am just convinced springs wants out too much and that we will trade him for whatever we can get...remember there is a big difference between restructuring to save cap room and asking a starter to take a paycut.

With the other deals we just restructured we now have 8.4 million in cap room. That would actually give us some breathing room to bring on Bly and keep Springs. It makes sense to me to restructure his contract if our cap situation doesn't force our hand on a pay cut. And sliding down 15 slots in the draft would also give us some financial flexibility. And maybe we don't get Okoye, but Carriker, Charles Johnson, Quentin Moses, and a lot of other DL will be there at 21. That scenario would leave us with some of the best talent and depth in the league in our back seven. And we wouldn't have a drain on knowledge of the system like past years.

I'd jump all over pick #'s 21, 56, & 87 + Bly.

Then dump Springs

We're getting away from the #6 and all of the overpriced hype that goes with that pick, but we're not really losing out on a good player because this draft is loaded with good DE's. We could still get DT's Okoye or Tyler, or DE's Carricker, Moss or Spencer, and still have pick #'s 56 & 87 to build depth with.

Jump on this one now!

No, the draft is loaded with "ok" DEs. We could not get Okoye at 21, sorry. Tyler is strong but that is about it. Not big enough to be a 2 gap guy, doesn't have the burst or tackle shedding ability to be a penetrating DT. Carriker isn't bad but will be gone by 21. Moss and Spencer? No thanks. Moss is taller but even lighter than Gaines Adams (6'6 250) with only average speed. He'll get thrown around like a rag doll. Once you get past the top D line picks (Anderson, Branch, Adams, Okoye) the talent level falls quite a bit. We need an impact player, not a space filler.

i would do the 6th pick to the broncos for Bly, and their #21, 53, and 70 in a blurr!!! A lot of mock drafts have Adam Carriker falling to pick 21 anyway, and he was pretty damn impressive at the combine. as far as Springs....he is always hurt and he started much drama lately. If we can get a 4th rounder and cap relief from someone i would be all for it. maybe even a 6th rounder. We can free up some dough to make Cooley a lifer....NOW!!!!!

To further verify what you said, Mr Tacconi, the Wash. Post suggested last week that the Redskins brass were unimpressed by the Branch at the combine.

also, you have to think that having one DE who weighs less than 265 could hamper the run Defense a little bit...I think they will think twice about getting Gaines Adams because of his size, and I could easily see them dropping down to take Carriker.

They are just that: rumors.

I honestly don't care because there are a million different rumors and a million different scenarios possible.

When/if it happens, it does...then I'll care...

Pretty much how I feel about it, other than Im really kinda tired of it by now.....

I think the Redskins should trade Springs and #6 pick for Bly, 1st, 2nd, and two 3rd round picks. (theirs and ours from Ducket trade) Then Trade up all the late rounders for earlier ones and have a beastly draft!

I would like to see bly a 1st and a 2nd round pick. Then I would trade Springs for the highest pick that I could get. we need to get ride of his cap hit. I like Springs a lot but if he does not want to work with the team and restructure his contract then you have to do what you have to do.

OT: I was looking at this year's draft order and I noticed NY Giants (20th overall) are picking ahead of the Broncos (21st). Why is that? Didn't the Gints make the playoffs.

Teams are ceded by record then when tied by "strength of schedule" regardless of where they finish, except for the two SB attendees that pick last and next to last.

DOn't do it joe! keep what you got and make denver sweat a while :P

On March 1, 2007, Bly was traded by the Detroit Lions to the Denver Broncos for running back Tatum Bell, offensive tackle George Foster, and a 5th round draft pick. However, it has just been mentioned that Bly is unhappy about being traded to Denver. Supposedly, he wanted to become a Redskin due to the fact that the Redskins were willing to give him a new deal. Denver has told Bly they will not be giving him a new deal, and because of this, it looks like Denver and Washington will be starting negotiations on a deal that could send Shawn Springs to Denver and Dre' Bly to Washington.

Came across this while I was looking up Dre Bly on wikipedia. If Denver's willing to give us their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and our old 3rd for Springs and our 1st, I'd be fine with that actually!

:cheers:

I agree completely with Navy Dave. To me, the best team we can put on the field this season is a secondary of Springs/Smoot/Rogers with the best DE available at #6. If we need added CB depth, let's pick up Macklin. We can address the guard position in FA, look at what the Seahawks did when they lost arguably the best Guard in the game last year. They didn't panic and make a short-sided trade. If we want Bly that bed, show some patience and sign him next year when he's a free agent.

Sometimes the best trades are the trades you don't make.

Archived