Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trading Draft Picks

DRSmith

Should Gibbs and company consider trading next years 1st rounder to get another first rounder this year to address both the DT and DE position?

Getting Branch and Anderson.

I hate myself for saying this but yes. We have so many holes right now with very few picks

Redskins Draft

1.25 - Ben Grubbs, OG - Auburn

2.05 - Tank Tyler, DT - NC St.

2.20 - Victor Abiamiri, DE - Notre Dame

3.18 - best safety available

Gah. No...please. Can we please not trade down past 10? We need an impact D line player. First of all I think Abiamiri will go higher in the 2nd than that. Second of all...he isn't nearly as good as some of the other DEs who are above him. From what I've read he put up a lot of his numbers against weak competition and isn't very quick. My guess he is will be a solid backup, mediocre starter in the NFL. Tank Tyler is very strong but he isn't big enough to be a space eater (Branch) or have the burst and blocker shedding ability to be a penetrating DT (Okoye). Again, a probably solid backup or mediocre NFL starter. Sorry but OG is not what we should pick up with our 1st round pick. D line. OG can be addressed elsewhere in the draft or FA. Lets use our high pick and get the best D line guy we can. Next year we will have pretty much a full draft and can get more depth in many positions.

I wouldn't mind him with some big man next to him. Carter and another young guy for the other end. Griff and Daniels help them in, cut Wynn.

I don't see Wynn getting cut, would not be popular seeing as he is involved in community Redskins charities.

If we were able to get, say, Alan Branch or Okoye and Jamaal Anderson, I'd want to consider it, only because it would be exciting. But Im sure, because when next year comes along, we're gonna want to have a 1st round pick. But Jamaal Anderson, and one of the top DTs available in the draft would be very tempting.

I think we should draft the top rated player on our board when the time comes whether on offense or D.That would throw some teams a real curveball and probably get the telephones ringing to trade us for that guy.If not,we got the most talented guy at that spot and would need to start grooming him to be a Redskin.

I think we should draft the top rated player on our board when the time comes whether on offense or D.That would throw some teams a real curveball and probably get the telephones ringing to trade us for that guy.If not,we got the most talented guy at that spot and would need to start grooming him to be a Redskin.

What if that were Adrian Peterson and we couldn't trade him afterwards for what he's worth? Keep him and rotate him with Portis?

That would be nice if you were great at every other position, however we aren't and Portis would throw a fit at splitting that much time with someone.

Best available athlete is a good way to draft as long as you use common sense and don't completely ignore your current roster. You have to take need into consideration at least a little because moves like that the one I mentioned above make no sense.

I think Somewhere down the line with such a premium placed on having 2 RBs and throw in Injuries like what happened to Portis last year,it would all work out.Either our phones would be ringing or as you said if we ended up with Peterson,we got the most talen available.

Should Gibbs and company consider trading next years 1st rounder to get another first rounder this year to address both the DT and DE position?

Absolutely not, instead trade down the 6th pick and pick up a second or early third round selection. There will still be a great talent pool left and it remains to be seen just what kind of a quality player we can add by doing this.

Absolutely not, instead trade down the 6th pick and pick up a second or early third round selection. There will still be a great talent pool left and it remains to be seen just what kind of a quality player we can add by doing this.

Trading down is ok with me as long as it isn't very far down so we can still pick up one of the top D line prospects (Anderson, Okoye, Branch).

No. That is another mistake we should have learned from. We keep mortgaging the future thinking it will help us in the present. It doesn't. It always turns out to hurt us more than anything. And it makes us handicapped to things we really need to do when cituations arrise.

With all the fellow Redskins posting their opinions about who we should draft and how good the other teams like the Eagles did and drafting D-linemen. The following links are to the stats of the players that we drafted last year at DT....Golston and Montgomery

Kedrick Golston's stats at Georgia

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=8170&PT=7&PR=2&type=scoutingreport.

Anthony Montgomery's stats at Minnesota

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=3605&PT=7&PR=2&type=scoutingreport.

Then their is Broderick Bunkley who was drafted by Philadelphia

Broderick Bunkley at Florida State and drafted by Philadelphia last year

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=318&PT=7&PR=2&type=scoutingreport.

Then the top players you all want to draft or are highly regarded and their stats.

Gaines Adams Stats at Clemson

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/91827.

Amobi Okoye stats at Lousiville

http://uoflsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/okoye_amobi00.html.

Jamaal Anderson's stats at Arkansas

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/jamaalanderson.html.

Alan Branch's Stats at Michigan

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/116458.

As far as I am concerned Golston and Montgomery have just as good or better stats than any of these guys in the draft and even as good as Bunkley of Philadelphia. So why would we draft these guys and replace two guys with better college stats? Any thoughts?

As far as I am concerned Golston and Montgomery have just as good or better stats than any of these guys in the draft and even as good as Bunkley of Philadelphia. So why would we draft these guys and replace two guys with better college stats? Any thoughts?

Scouts are generally scouts for a reason. While they certainly can be wrong, they generally do know how to evaluate athletes. I'm sure you could find some DE who will likely go in the later rounds who has good stats but there are other questions. Where did he get most of his sacks, etc? What upside does he have? How athletic is he? What sort of intangibles does he have? There are usually reasons that some guys are relegated to the later rounds. Just read the scouting reports. Are there sometimes gems that come out of there? Sure. But there are also tons of guys that come out of the mid or later rounds who never do anything. Golston would have gone higher but I read that he had injury problems and that greatly decreased his value. Scouts and coaches have watched film on most of the players in the draft and there are things they see in one guy that isn't there in another.

Are 1st round picks automatically Pro Bowlers? Of course not. But they are generally much more likely to be successful in the NFL than someone who goes in the later rounds. If we have such a high pick this year I'd much rather use it on the guy we judge to be the best player and fit for us (I'm hoping for Anderson, myself). We need an impact player, and using a high pick is more likely to net you one of those (see Taylor, Sean. 5th pick in the '04 draft) than just getting a few later picks and hoping to find a diamond in the rough. It does happen, but not very often. And no, Golston is not a diamond in the rough. He has played well for a 6th round pick, and is a serviceable player, but he is far from a dominant DT.

I love how people don't want to give Golston, a young kid who has potential, a chance, but they want to draft a replacement for him. Is the irony just lost on everyone else?

The irony is not lost on me partner. I think it's mostly because most people are suckers for the hype of projected production from the names that are thrown around on ESPN and the likes. It's idiotic to think you can acquire another high pick to draft both Anderson and Branch. That would require AT LEAST our number 1's for the next two years, a move that would be moronic at the very least.

There's no way that's going to happen. We would have to find a team with a mid-to-high first-round pick. This year's draft is rather deep, so I doubt teams will be willing to give up their first-rounders this year.

Trading our 6 for Denver's 21 plus a 2nd and 3rd rounder plus Dre Bly would be a no brainer..

at 21 the Redskins can still get either Adam Carriker...Jarvis Moss or Pit****..

then they can draft an OG like Manuel Ramirez or maybe even get Grubbs from Auburn or both if one falls to the 3rd round.

we don't need LB or CB after the trade since we will have Bly... Smoot..Rogers and Springs with Springs moving to safety...we would be loaded in the defensive backfield.

only piece missing is another blocking TE and a possesion receiver

The Post said that the Broncos & 'skins might swap 1st rounders, with the 'skins getting Bly and the Broncos 2nd and 3rd rounder. The Trade Chart that a lot of NFL teams use has the 6th pick worth 1,600 "points" and the 21st pick worth 800. The Broncos 2nd rounder is worth 340 and their high 3rd (they have two 3rd rounders) is worth 240. So that would be 1380 points for the picks, plus the value of Bly. If the Broncos offer that, the 'skins should jump at it.

Archived