Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: "offensive Linemen Deals Criticized"

FrFan

Interesting article about the skyrocketing amount of money given to some free agents. I'm wondering what kind of money the regular Pro-Bowlers are going to get when they'll hit the market ? and what is going to happen next ?

I guess the NFL cake is getting bigger and bigger and everyone wants a big chunk out of it. The teams which will have the patience and the wisdom to stay out of it will probably be the winners of tomorrow.

"The prevailing view in some league circles is that the Cowboys, Browns, Chargers, and Bills paid way too much money for Leonard Davis, Eric Steinbach, Kris Dielman, and Derrick Dockery, respectively. (Memo to Chargers fans: That fact that Dielman has been named as an alternate to the Pro Bowl doesn't mean that he has been named to the team.)

As we've previously noted, none of these guys have ever been named to a Pro Bowl. Yet each of them is swimming in over $15 million in guaranteed money.

So what happens when a true Pro Bowler on the offensive line hits the free-agent market? Will he get $25 million guaranteed? How about $30 million?

As we see it, these recent deals guarantee that the franchise tag will be used more often by teams to keep truly high-end players who become eligible for free agency, since the high-end players are going to look at the recent deals and say, "If a perennial underachiever like Davis is worth $18.75 million guaranteed, I'm worth twice that."

And that's the biggest problem with the combination of lots of cap space and a so-so free-agent class. The floor is getting pushed up for future deals, and the number will only continue to skyrocket.

It's true for other positions as well. If Nate Clements gets $80 million over eight years, what would a guy like Champ Bailey get? And how does a guy like Champ Bailey feel about a player who is clearly one step below him breaking the bank like Bailey never has?

Of course, Bailey isn't due to hit the market until 2011. In the interim, he's scheduled to make good salaries. But in light of the Clements deal, how can Champ not suddenly be thinking that he's underpaid.

Stay tuned. We have a feeling that many players will be privately -- or publicly -- having these same sentiments soon."

Hail FrFan! I've been waiting for the media to blast some of these signings. While I'm not one who thinks the media hates the Redskins (well, it's obvious some of them do), I think had we spent that much on one of these guards, they would have been all over us saying "there they go again, overpaying."

Where are the Cowboys bashers in the media for paying Davis that much? I think the Redskins only showed interest in Davis to drum up his price tag. Smart move by the Skins (and smart move not to sign him).

Hail,

H

there was an article i read yesterday where two talent/scout evaluators didnt even know what team derrick dockery played for up until he signed with the bills. 49 million, and guys in the business dont know who he is. haha

That's ridiculous and it's not a statement about Dock. Anyone who calls themself a NFL "talent scout" or a "player evaluator" and who doesn't know who a four-year starting NFL player is is not any good at their job.

That's ridiculous and it's not a statement about Dock. Anyone who calls themself a NFL "talent scout" or a "player evaluator" and who doesn't know who a four-year starting NFL player is is not any good at their job.

im trying to find the article. i could have sworn it was in len pastabellys FA report yesterday but i checked and it isnt there.

What kills me is that the Bills are crying poverty and they shell out that money for a "good" not "great" OG.

Yup. That occurred to me too. Ralph Wilson is a hypocrite and a moron. He should be playing feeding pigeons off a park bench with Al Davis, not running a football team.

This is what happens when you sign a new labor contract, increasing the minimum cap, and then the second year with it there are non-stars ont he market. Teams HAVE to spend more, they have no other option. As such they have to spend on so-so guys. Whats going to happen is when the stars get out there, teams wont have as much money, and instead you will see stars not getting paid proportionaly to what the guys got this year. Things should settle down in a couple years, but until then...

I think the article is correct in saying that the franchise tag may be used more in the future. That or teams try to lock key guys up with new contracts at least a year before they be come FAs (ahem...Cooley). I think everyone is just going to have to deal with the possibility that it is extremely unlikely for any elite level players to come out into the FA market. Guys like Peppers (I think his contract is up in a year or two) are not going anywhere.

What kills me is that the Bills are crying poverty and they shell out that money for a "good" not "great" OG.

Me too. They gave up their 2 bets defensive players and have cried poverty since the advent of the salary cap and then go blow their wad on a marginal LG.

This is going to hurt everybody in the long run. I'm just baffeled over the lack of talent who got these tremendous paydays.

Every team will pay for this at some point in the near future with their stars seeing this developemnt. That, and to get somebody you'll have to mortgage your whole franchise to get them.

Archived