Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Rogers is our best corner.

H-O-G

I felt inclined to make a thread defending Carlos because of recent bashing of him over the possibility of Springs leaving.

One of the most telling stats about a corner aside from just interceptions, is pass deflections. How many times they knock down the ball, breaking up a pass, and preventing a completion.

Heres numbers from the 2006 season from some better corners around the league.

Champ Bailey - 11 pass deflections

Nate Clements - 16 pass deflections

Lito Sheppard - 13 pass deflections

Chris McAlister - 16 pass deflections

Carlos Rogers - 16 pass deflections

A weakness that Carlos has had is his catching ability. He has LITERALLY dropped 6 interceptions last season. Carlos is going into this off-season with knowledge that he has to bring his game to the next level and get out of his sophomore "slump". He has told reporters and coaches he will be training with Darrell Green and Deon Sanders this off-season.

Stop hatin

I agree 100%

People on this board get on him too much and even go as far as calling him a bust. He has shown to be able to defend well at times but was exposed last year as ALL the DBs were when we had no pass rush (even ST looked awful at times). I see Carlos really improving next year (isn't he working with DG?).

He just needs to learn how to CATCH.

It's absoulutely true that CBs don't judge themselves on INTs. They judge themselves on passes defensed, as you correctly point out.

However, when a "gimme" interception is dropped and it costs you a playoff game, fans have a right to judge that accordingly. Especially if it doesn't improve (and actually got worse, IMO) the following season.

Anyone can learn to catch a football with some practice, including my four-year old daughter. It's time for Carlos to perform like a Top-10 overall pick.

I'm sick of all the Carlos bashing too. He covered his side of the field pretty well most of the season. He covered Owens, Holt, Keshawn, Steve Smith, and the Saints recievers well. Kenny Wright was the one getting toasted. If Rogers had caught those 6 dropped interceptions I guarantee that he would have been in the pro bowl last year.

Not to mention the fact that we had the worst pass rush in the NFL last year. The d-line was giving the secondary little help.

Thats cause even with Springs down he was still getting thrown on. Dont be blind to the fact that he needs to improve. For the sake of the team I hope and think he will, but a top ten pick should already be a solid starter by the end of his second year, and Ill argue that Rogers isnt there yet...

I'm sick of all the Carlos bashing too. He covered his side of the field pretty well most of the season. He covered Owens, Holt, Keshawn, Steve Smith, and the Saints recievers well. Kenny Wright was the one getting toasted. If Rogers had caught those 6 dropped interceptions I guarantee that he would have been in the pro bowl.

yeah and if i had picked the right numbers i would have won the lottery. but i didnt and niether did CR. he sucked last year. can he still be a great corner? sure but he needs to step up.

yeah and if i had picked the right numbers i would have won the lottery. but i didnt and niether did CR. he sucked last year. can he still be a great corner? sure but he needs to step up.

IMO he covers well, he just needs to learn to catch, which should be easy to improve on.

When I see him in the lineup, I don't get that "there's nothing to be worried about" feeling like I used to get with Darrell and Champ. You want to have that comfort level with your starting CBs. Hopefully he'll improve enough this year that I can feel better about him.

I'm cautiously optimistic of Roger's chances at improving, especially if he is going to be working with Darrell Green and *sigh* Deion Sanders this summer. I also heard that he wants to work with Santana Moss in terms of catching. I think we will see a much more confident corner next season. I think we are going to see an entirely different defense from the standpoint of confidence this coming season. After listening to London Fletcher yesterday, I'm pretty sure he's the real deal...a real defensive general on and off the field. His swagger and confidence will rub off on the rest of the defense. Lamar Marshall, as hard as he tried and God love him for it, didn't have that presence.

Yeah, he definitely had a rough start last year, so did the entire secondary. But he played well down the stretch. If he was able to catch he could have been amongst the league leaders in INTs.

Hell, if he could have caught that sure INT against the Seahawks in the playoffs two years ago...

He's in position to make the plays. The next step is to start making them.

well one would think that being a pro CB in the NFL a guy should already know how to catch a football.

i think you meant to say:

"well one would think that being a 105 pounders CB a guy should already know how to catch a football"

I can almost guarantee that each of those guys had less balls thrown their way.

Carlos has taken unnecessary criticism for his dropped INT's

and it was obvious that many of his struggles in coverage stemmed from overall defensive struggles and a nonexistent pass rush. However, to say he is our best CB is ridiculous and broderline ignorant. Shawn Springs is much better than Carlos at this point. In fact, it will be intersting to see who wins the Smoot/Rogers battle for the #2 spot. Either way, the team wins.

I felt inclined to make a thread defending Carlos because of recent bashing of him over the possibility of Springs leaving.

One of the most telling stats about a corner aside from just interceptions, is pass deflections. How many times they knock down the ball, breaking up a pass, and preventing a completion.

A weakness that Carlos has had is his catching ability. He has LITERALLY dropped 6 interceptions last season. Carlos is going into this off-season with knowledge that he has to bring his game to the next level and get out of his sophomore "slump". He has told reporters and coaches he will be training with Darrell Green and Deon Sanders this off-season.

Stop hatin

I feel Rogers in time will end up being a good cornerback, but to compare him to #1 corners on other teams is ridiculous. Teams are passing in Carlos Rogers direction, but avoiding Champ, Clements, Sheppart, and McAllister. This is like comparing apples to oranges.

I wouldnt call him our best corner(Shawn Springs when healthy) but he definitely takes too much crap from fans over here. He was improving as the year went on and remember people, he was in position to make those interceptions. I think it is a mental thing and hopefully making the last INT against the Saints will turn things around for him.

You lost me at your thread title. If Carlos is best corner, then I guess Jerry Gray must be crazy for not starting him over Springs. Personally, I think Smoot should be #2. I want to see Rogers EARN his spot. The only difference between Carlos and Kenny Wright is that Carlos has potential. That's it.

I wouldnt call him our best corner(Shawn Springs when healthy) but he definitely takes too much crap from fans over here. He was improving as the year went on and remember people, he was in position to make those interceptions. I think it is a mental thing and hopefully making the last INT against the Saints will turn things around for him.

most of his missed int's were due to QB's throwing the ball right to him. NOT because he had great position.

well one would think that being a pro CB in the NFL a guy should already know how to catch a football.

True, I think a big part of the drops were a loss of confidence after dropping that INT against Seattle which could have won the game for us. I think catching that one against the Saints helped though.

You lost me at your thread title. If Carlos is best corner, then I guess Jerry Gray must be crazy for not starting him over Springs. Personally, I think Smoot should be #2. I want to see Rogers EARN his spot. The only difference between Carlos and Kenny Wright is that Carlos has potential. That's it.

:chug:

True, I think a big part of the drops were a loss of confidence after dropping that INT against Seattle which could have won the game for us. I think catching that one against the Saints helped though.

you could be right. my point is that when you are a pro there are NO excuses for dropping the football when it is dropped in your lap giftwrapped, repeatedly.

Archived