Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Updated WP BLOG 730 pm

D-Day

Posted at 7:03 PM ET, 02/28/2007

Odds and Ends and Smoot and Brunell

Frost got tendered today (actually received the $850,000 contract). Boschetti did not but the Skins told his agent they would be interested in bringing him back at a lower salary this offseason. So he becomes a UFA. Can not say with complete certainty that Molinaro - the other restricted free agent on the roster - did not get tendered, but I would be stunned if he did.

Also, got off the phone with Smoot's agent about 2 minutes ago. He hasn't been cut yet. Will he be cut? Almost certainly. Could it happen later tonight? Sure?

Has he been informed of his release as of this minute - no.

When it does go down, as I have been saying, look for the Skins to be in the mix.

Okay, I think that's all I have for now. Want to sneak in a lil time with Chloe and give her a bath, then I'll be on the cell all night in the basement, so if I get anything else I'll let you know.

Oh yeah, shoot, the Brunell cap hit is now about $3.3 from what I hear, down from $6.7. he gets around the vet. min in base (820,000), and has a June roster bonus that kicks in after mini camp (I believe around $1 million). So, if for any reason the labrum is still a problem and he can't go, the Skins are off the hook if they want to get out; they would carry his camp number through the spring but will have paid him nothing.

Throw in the existing proration from his original signing bonus ($1.5) and, viola, there you have it for a new cap figure. Also, he would get some small roster bonuses just before the season, but no signing bonus and nothing guaranteed.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

I highlighted the parts I found interesting.

Once Smoot is released it is a guaranted lock he is coming back to Washington, as long as he doesnt become unresonable at the last minute.

This makes me VERY happy. This is the type of signing that I love - we will save lots of money and get a solid role player and good addition to our defense.

Smoot has a LOT to prove and will probably play his butt off to get his reputation around the NFL back.

I really hope Smoot is coming back, he's a good locker room presence beleive it or not and a capable corner. I would really really like to see him back in a Skins uniform.

...I just don't want to see him on a boat anytime soon.

(maybe he's learned to pay by cash, though...)

Once Smoot is released it is a guaranted lock he is coming back to Washington, as long as he doesnt become unresonable at the last minute.
You really think its a lock?? What type of contract would he demand I wonder?? I would love to see him come back but I am not sure its a lock.

why all the love for smoot? yea...engaging personality...but memories seem short. he was constantly getting beat in the red zone.....gave up a huge cushion (sound like someone else?)...and didn't close quickly enough. I can see him as a nickel back and nothing more. demand/expect better than smoot.

btw...like LA...he left for $$$$. see ya!

Archived