Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"The Blind Side" by Michael Lewis

EersSkins05

Has anyone read this book and noticed the Redskins connections?

It's basically about the evolution of the left tackle position in football and the selection of specific types of athletes to play that position. Its based around the true story of a huge, athletic, poor and ignored black kid in Memphis that gets adopted by a rich white family and immediately garner's national attention from big-time DI schools b/c of his skill set.

Skins tie-ins:

1) The mom that adopted him was friends with Patrick Ramsey. In the course of trying to find this huge kid clothes that fit him (an impossible task), she called PR and asked him if any of the other Redskins had some old, huge clothes that were lying around that he could use. PR took the kid's measurements, went around the team, and came back and said that there wasn't a single Redskins player with measurements that large. The only player close was Jon Jansen, but they both assumed that this inner city black kid probably wouldn't want to wear overalls and flannel shirts.

2) The book doesn't just follow the kid- it also tracks the growing need in the NFL for a specific breed of lineman for that position and how it suddenly became so different from the rest of the line positions. Specifically, the book talks about the top-tier left tackles in the league and their pay, as compared to right tackles. Chris Sammuels is one of the comparisons, and is mentioned as a top talent.

3) There's an extended portion about Joe Jacoby that's fun to read.

Just curious if anyone else had read this great book. I've read a few things by Michael Lewis (who is most notable for "Moneyball"), and have enjoyed them all.

I read it. Great book. One of those books I had trouble putting down.

The kid's name is Michael Oher. He plays LT for Ole Miss and is projected to be a 1st round pick next year if he comes out.

I thought the book was great b/c it makes you wonder what kind of other potentially wasted talent is out there with no chance of being discovered.

This kid was basically homeless, with a crack-addicted mother, seven or eight brothers and sisters, could barely read or write, and just happened to encounter this one nice woman that saw a freezing kid walking home from school and wanted to buy him some clothes and get him something to eat.

But it was also about how dynamics and value change in the marketplace/NFL. How Anthony Munoz was told that no lineman was worth more than another lineman in the 80's, and then by the 90's one position on the offensive line was making more than any other position except for QB.

I thought the book was great b/c it makes you wonder what kind of other potentially wasted talent is out there with no chance of being discovered.

This kid was basically homeless, with a crack-addicted mother, seven or eight brothers and sisters, could barely read or write, and just happened to encounter this one nice woman that saw a freezing kid walking home from school and wanted to buy him some clothes and get him something to eat.

But it was also about how dynamics and value change in the marketplace/NFL. How Anthony Munoz was told that no lineman was worth more than another lineman in the 80's, and then by the 90's one position on the offensive line was making more than any other position except for QB.

Yeah, it was great from a lot of angles. Just taking it as a story of this unfortunate black kid and the rich white family he got adopted into was interesting enough. Then, you have the NFL stories with Walsh and Parcells (I thought Parcells came across as something of a beyotch, btw).

My favorite chapter had to be the one where the DE was talking trash to him all game and then he finally gets a chance to block him and takes him thru the bench and all the way to the fence behind the field. Also got kind of a kick when he was fighting with his teammate and the kid says something about how he was gonna screw his white mother and sister and Michael just says "I'm gonna go change my shirt, because I don't want to get your blood all over this one".

I really just like Lewis' writing style. Very similar writing to Moneyball, which is one of the best and most important baseball books ever.

It really is a fascinating book. Its a remarkable thing that the family does for the kid, though it makes you wonder what they would have done if he were 5'8", 180, instead of 6'6", 350.

Great book from a football perspective or a sociological perspective. Highly recommended.

Well now I'm headed over to Amazon.com and purchasing "moneyball" and "the blind side." Two more books that will sit on the book case because I have like 4 other books to catch up on.:doh:

Moneyball was one of the best books I ever read. It's a GREAT analysis of not only baseball personnel, but strategy to be used in any line of business.

Think outside the box to figure out what skills/products are needed but aren't as expensive as the ones your competators are using (the ones that you can't afford), prioritize and emphasize those skills/products, operate your business based on that model.

A's General Manager Billy Beane knew they couldn't afford to compete with the Yankees/Mets/Red Sox of the world, so he found value where they didn't, and built a playoff-calibur squad with one of the lowest payrolls in baseball.

I'd recommend it before The Blind Side, to be honest, but they're both very, very good.

Who the hell is Michael Lewis?

Apparently this thread isn't for you b/c reading isn't one of your fortes.

Anyway,

EerSkins, thanks for posting this. If you're really interested in the economics of sports, you should check out Allen R. Sanderson. He's a Senior Lecturer at the University of Chicago. I took one of his classes as an elective and it completely changed my viewpoint on athlete salaries.

Archived