Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Gibbs call the offense in '07?

Redskins4ever

After the final game of the regular season, there was an article in the Post about the differences in approach to Al Saunders and Joe Gibbs as far as how different they really were, despite both of them being apprentices of Don Coryell. Gibbs is more ball control & Saunders is about getting the ball down the field.

But with the offense struggling, Gibbs posting his worst record in his career during a season(5-11), and given the success Redskins had in 2005 before Saunders was hired, will Gibbs call his own plays next season?

In my opinion the Redskins only needed a WR to compliment Moss and they got two(Brandon Lloyd) and (Antwann Randle El). They didn't need to take a new offensive approach going in to 2006. The five game winning streak from 5-6 to 10-6 in 2005 shows that because the offense rolled in the last five games of that season. Just because the offense didn't do well in the playoffs didn't mean that they needed to hire Saunders.

Thoughts?

the answer is no. al saunders will use parts of gibbs offense but lets not forget what al saunders has done in this league recently. and we had a good offense at the end of this past year. with a good mix of saunders and gibbs. thats what we brought him in for not to just run his own offense but to blend his strengths with gibbs strengths.

yeah as much as I'd like to see Gibbs back calling the plays, he gave it to Al, and I think it will ultimatley better them as a whole, at least going forward(having a modernized offense). It just takes too much outta Joe to be the "guy" all the time nowadays. It's a lot of work for a guy his age, putting in the gameplan and coming up with new stuff, it's tough. I respect the decision he made with Al and hopefully Joe can teach him how to run his plays in the NFC East, cause Al doesn't have that physical nature to his play calling, yet. I beleive he has it in him, he just needed some time. I expect a big time improvement in this offense having been in it for a year.

After the final game of the regular season, there was an article in the Post about the differences in approach to Al Saunders and Joe Gibbs as far as how different they really were, despite both of them being apprentices of Don Coryell. Gibbs is more ball control & Saunders is about getting the ball down the field.

But with the offense struggling, Gibbs posting his worst record in his career during a season(5-11), and given the success Redskins had in 2005 before Saunders was hired, will Gibbs call his own plays next season?

In my opinion the Redskins only needed a WR to compliment Moss and they got two(Brandon Lloyd) and (Antwann Randle El). They didn't need to take a new offensive approach going in to 2006. The five game winning streak from 5-6 to 10-6 in 2005 shows that because the offense rolled in the last five games of that season. Just because the offense didn't do well in the playoffs didn't mean that they needed to hire Saunders.

Thoughts?

IMO

Gibbs will not call the offensive plays, Saunders will resume his role and will have two reliable RB's to depend on BUT the offense will struggle because we do not have the WR's to compliment Moss. The WR's that we "got" did not compliment Moss but, instead, made him work too hard to get open because they were not dependable on a consistent basis, therefore, allowing defenses to concentrate on Moss. We have to get a better inside/outside passsing game for our offense to work.

Saunders offense is known to work in the NFL as of right now. Gibbs offense works but nowhere near as well as how Saunders calls the plays.

Saunders and Gibbs have to come to a meeting of the minds as to how this offense is going to look. Only after that is accomplished will we know who calls the plays.

My :2cents: is that AL wasn't brought here to run things through Joe.

Saunders has a proven track record--the offense was getting better. It will be interesting to see how Campbell does now that he will be getting most of the OTA reps. The reason for Gibbs' worst record--the defense not the offense.

I think it's a good point to bring up, the rationale behind it questionable. This offense wasn't that bad last year considering how burnt our defense was. But let's be honest can it be that maybe Gibbs wanted to see a protoypical modern-offense under his command before he continues his second round in the NFL???

I don't really care who calls them as long as it's ONLY ONE person. I don't want this "you take it between the 35s and I'll take it from there" philosophy, because it's a complete disaster. None of this "heavy influence and input" in the redzone. If the man got you to the redzone, let him put it in. Whoever is putting a drive together is doing things in a deliberate order, with future plays in mind. Once you start switching it all up, you lose the longterm objective element of the playcalling.

We need one guy calling the plays that knows what his players are capable of doing, what their strengths are, etc. When Gibbs is in charge of the run that means Saunders will call the wrong run plays, and vice versa for the passing game.

ONE, ONE, ONE, PERSON. All season long.

IMO

Gibbs will not call the offensive plays, Saunders will resume his role and will have two reliable RB's to depend on BUT the offense will struggle because we do not have the WR's to compliment Moss. The WR's that we "got" did not compliment Moss but, instead, made him work too hard to get open because they were not dependable on a consistent basis, therefore, allowing defenses to concentrate on Moss. We have to get a better inside/outside passsing game for our offense to work.

I don't know, man. ARE looked like he had a pretty nice rapport going with Campbell for the final few games. I'm not saying that he's the answer at number two, but at least we have Moss, ARE, Cooley, and then Betts and Portis out of the backfield.

Saunders offense is known to work in the NFL as of right now. Gibbs offense works but nowhere near as well as how Saunders calls the plays.

Saunders and Gibbs have to come to a meeting of the minds as to how this offense is going to look. Only after that is accomplished will we know who calls the plays.

My :2cents: is that AL wasn't brought here to run things through Joe.

It'll be Al Saunders' show this coming year. He 'slowly' merged what Gibbs wanted into the offensive strategy by season's end, while also having to get JCampbell up to speed. Al had to learn the way in the NFCEast, where all four teams were in the top 12 of the NFL in rushing offense...so he will have to mix the run and the pass with a little more strategic discipline. However, by the end last year, the running game was stellar and the passing game started to show downfield strike ability at any time. 4th in rushing, 3rd in fewest sacks allowed...that is DEFINITELY something to build on. I think the 'Skins need a BIG receiver (6'4"+) to use on possesion type situations. I think A.R.E. needs more touches as a WR, and HOPEFULLY Lloyd will become more disciplined and accept his role. The offense won't be our issue this year. I expect they'll be a top 10 offense before it's all over this coming season. All 'Skins need is to get back to 2004 form on defense...

The key to the lack of success in that Redskins offense this past season and the FUTURE success we have is all about 2 things....and neither is about the disagreement between Gibbs and Saunders.

1) Just having a full year to learn a 700 page playbook and bringing back the whole offense together to implement it, will be assure and amazing improvement. I mean, it is all about familiarity when you are calling out "right 27 double Z left hitch slide middle blitz" and at the same time the defense is shifting and 2 linebackers are coming up to blitz. All eleven guys must recognize what the play is and adjust and the only way for that to happen is if everyone is reacting and NOT thinking. 1 full year IN THE SYSTEM will make more difference than anything else.

2) Then there is the fact that regardless what system you run, the QB is the difference maker. Having wideouts open on virtually every play and not being able to FIND them because you aren't familiar with them yet or perhaps you can't HIT them because you are unfamiliar with their speed and you haven't played football in a year and a half...yes...that could have something to do with the performance of your team. Just getting weak armed Brunell out of there and getting a NOW EXPERIENCE Jason Campbell in there for a full season, will be an incredible change.

Amen jamesbondman, totally agree, bit I think the run is important, and our OL is setup for that, they are better at the run than the pass, so we need to keep going back to the run and make sure not to ignore it, esp. with the team of Portis and Betts that we will have next year.

i hope saunders is calling the plays. hes got a proven offense and we have the talent and personel to move the ball down the field. him and portis need to get on the same page though, and gibbs needs to make sure that they do. if he allows the circus act to continue at redskins park, he has truly lost his grip on the game.

I think Saunders will be calling the plays, that is why Gibbs brought him in. I do, however, believe it will be more of a fusion of what Gibbs wants. i.e. more ball control and less finesse. But Saunders has proven elsewhere he can coach an offense, and with some consistency (a young QB with some gametime experience who isn't looking over his shoulder for his replacement to come in) he could make his style of offense work.

With Betts and Portis, I can see a dynamic offense if JC gets a handle on the scheme. Gibbs just needs to make sure there aren't any ego rifts between the players and the coaching staff. If he can maintain that role...Saunders should be more than capable of handling the Offense.

Archived