Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else NOT watch the Super Bowl?

Sociofan

I don't know. Something just broke for me this year. All the arrests. The way the NFL dogged that church in Indiana for wanting to host a Super Bowl party. Irvin getting in the HOF with lesser stats and more off-field issues (and only the same number of rings) as Monk. Too much hype and not enough game.

I just feel like the NFL is heading down the wrong path for fans and kids. I want to say they've lost touch with the fans, but I'm not sure given how many people still tune in no matter what. I miss the days when it was about the game and the players and the people who admired the toughness shown by men on either side of the ball. The NFL is becoming too much like the NBA was for so many recent years.

So I boycotted the game last night. Anyone else? Or am I just lamenting the fact that Washington hasn't been there for too long?

I really don't like super bowl parties at all and spent about half the game away from the crowd watching on a different TV if that counts. This time around there actually were some people at least pretending they care about football, as opposed to last year where I was the only football fan in the house, but all I really wanted to do was just watch it at home with my dad loading up on snack food. Having friends sucks some times.

IMO if you live in the colder parts of the U.S. and are not on vacation, having sex with a hot woman, working as a trauma surgeon, or singlehandedly saving the world then there is no excuse not to at least go to a SB party. Yes, it's overhyped. Yes a lot of times the game isn't even good. Yes it starts way to ($#*$ late for those of us with younger kids. But, it's like Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas morning gifts and other all-american traditions. You've just got to do it. No excuses.

I went to a superbowl party and was much more involved in the party than the super bowl. I paid attention to the game only in passing.

Same here, partly because it looked like a preseason game for a good part of it. It was also the first Super Bowl I watched in HD, even though it was wasted because of the foggy lens on the cameras.

I don't know. Something just broke for me this year. All the arrests. The way the NFL dogged that church in Indiana for wanting to host a Super Bowl party. Irvin getting in the HOF with lesser stats and more off-field issues (and only the same number of rings) as Monk. Too much hype and not enough game.

I just feel like the NFL is heading down the wrong path for fans and kids. I want to say they've lost touch with the fans, but I'm not sure given how many people still tune in no matter what. I miss the days when it was about the game and the players and the people who admired the toughness shown by men on either side of the ball. The NFL is becoming too much like the NBA was for so many recent years.

So I boycotted the game last night. Anyone else? Or am I just lamenting the fact that Washington hasn't been there for too long?

I'd add the last few half time shows in there as further evidence of what you're saying.

Same here, partly because it looked like a preseason game for a good part of it. It was also the first Super Bowl I watched in HD, even though it was wasted because of the foggy lens on the cameras.

I just got my HD hooked up a week before the SB. Nothing like High Definition rain............

You expect too much from these players. They are not idols, they are not role models, and they are not ideal citizens. They play a game called football, and they spend half the year on vacation. Respect their physical ability, but don't hinge your interest in the game on their character. Otherwise, it's not even worth watching to begin with. I agree that the NFL seems to be tending down an unfortunate road - but it's not going to turn around. It is what it is, as they say.

I hosted a Super Bowl party w/ my roomates for the 4th straight year.

Super Bowl Sunday is the one time where even non-football fans can watch the game & not be a distraction.

Sure, by the third quarter Rex Grossman had regressed & we knew the game was in the bag, but the first half was fun.

The entire place was rocking when Hester ran the opening kickoff back.

If I didn't boycott the super bowl the year the Giants played the Ravens, I don't think I ever will.......

Prince was the best part of yesterday. Best halftime show of my life, at least that I can remember.

Prince was ok. I dont know much Prince stuff, but he played a lot of other people's songs and ripped it up on the guitar so it was decent.

But nothing....NOTHING beats Paul McCartney from Super Bowl 39. I was totally expecting a horrible Rolling Stone-esque performance and he came out and rocked the place down. Blew me away.

Prince was ok. I dont know much Prince stuff, but he played a lot of other people's songs and ripped it up on the guitar so it was decent.

But nothing....NOTHING beats Paul McCartney from Super Bowl 39. I was totally expecting a horrible Rolling Stone-esque performance and he came out and rocked the place down. Blew me away.

I liked McCartney. Prince is just such a unique guitarist to me that it's a treat to listen to him cut it up whenever possible.

I wasn't a big fan of all the covers either.

Archived