Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ebay ethics question

Coooleeey

How is it cheating? The Ebay seller sets a time when the auction ends. You can bid anytime before it ends. Bidding way in advance of that time allows others to up your bid.

If it was a legitimate concern, Ebay would automatically extend an auction by few minutes when there is a last minute bid, but that is not the case. So it is absolutely not in your best interest as a bidder to bid until a few seconds before teh auction ends. The sniping tools simply automate the process for you. You get the item at the lowest possible price, the seller gets paid market value on Ebay (he can always set up a reserve if he wants more) and Ebay gets its fees. No cheating involved.

I guess it isn't but it does take the fun out of it for me. Its been years since I bought anything worth more than a few bucks so I never got into that.

Damn girl. You sure are a feisty one here lately.
It's the offseason ... someone needs to stir the pot. :halo:

Plus I know Coooleeey so it's okay for me to give him a hard time.

Instead I would rather shave off your eyebrows when they finally arrive? How does that sound?

How would you like a :nutkick:

I think you are right but I need to find that exactly

Here is from their online support pages about invalid bid retraction:

Some ExamplesHide Steve is bidding on a new car with a reserve price. He bids on the car but finds that his bid has not met the seller’s reserve price. In order to uncover the reserve, he bids more than he is willing to pay to discover the reserve price and then retracts his bid.

Mary is bidding on a rare collectible. She bids on the item and with each bid discovers that someone with a higher proxy bid wins the item. Frustrated with bidding, she purposefully bids more than she would ever be willing to pay to uncover the winning buyer’s proxy bid and then retracts her bid afterwards.

Sarah wants an MP3 player. She places bids on many identical MP3s and then retracts bids on all listings except the one she thinks she’ll win as the final 12 hours approach.

Special circumstance where bid retraction may be permissible:

Jack bids on a laptop but accidentally adds a zero to his bid amount.

In the scenarios listed above, mary is the biggest A-hole. "Frustrated with bidding?" WAAAH WAAAH! If someone wants it more than you, too bad. You should be forced to honor your bid in that situation.

If you really want to find out what the reserve price is, just ask the seller. 99% of the time they will have no problem telling you.

My current pet peeve is the new ability granted for people to hide their feedback. That is contrary to the whole concept of feedback and completely asinine.

What if two people use the Auction Stealer sniper service on the same auction? Is the outcome random? Or is it based on who submitted their auction first?

I agree sniping is frustrating but you have to learn to deal with it. Besides, it's the getting, not the having, that is so deliciously satisfying.

i don't like the idea of sniping. its cheap (in more than one way) i think they should make it so that if there is a bid in the last seconds, it should automatically extend the end time a couple of minutes.

Then there would be no reason for an ending time for an auction. Sorry, but sniping is the best way to Ebay.

What if two people use the Auction Stealer sniper service on the same auction? Is the outcome random? Or is it based on who submitted their auction first?

I agree sniping is frustrating but you have to learn to deal with it. Besides, it's the getting, not the having, that is so deliciously satisfying.

It is still based on your max bid. Whoever has the highest bid at the end of the auction wins. You put your highest bid in the sniping tool and it bids for you. You can still be outbid if someone has a higher max bid.

It is still based on your max bid. Whoever has the highest bid at the end of the auction wins. You put your highest bid in the sniping tool and it bids for you. You can still be outbid if someone has a higher max bid.

Yes. All sniping really does is protect you from the noobs. You know, the ones who bid 18 times over the space of a week. They keep raising their max bid over and over and over again. Sniping protects you from these idiots.

Archived