Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Retired Redskin numbers

aikido09

i would think 28, 81 and 44 should be retired. 42 and 49, and 51 should only be used in emergencies. I don't see any problem using 70, Sam Huff did not play most of his career here, though he's contributed more by staying in the area as an announcer.

If anything, 57 Ken Harvey should not have been given to scrub Holdman. That is a disgrace to one of the nicest Redskins ever and one of the most underrated LB's in league history.

And let's not forget #49!

REMEMBER WHEN THEY LET LEONARD STEPHENS WERE #49 A FEW YEARS AGO, WHAT A SCREW UP!!

EDIT: SORRY DID NOT READ THE OTHER REPLIES ABOUT THIS SUBJECT BEFORE MY POST, THEY ACTUALLY HAD THAT STEPHENS JERSEY AT THE SALE THIS PAST WEEKEND, I WONDER IF ANYONE BOUGHT IT?

From what I understand, the NFL doesnt allow numbers to be officially retired anymore... ?

Not sure of the reasoning. I heard it on the NFL network one time a few years back. I may be wrong though.

I would def. retire 7,44, 28, 81 and 51.

From an article on retiring Reggie Whites number at NFL.com

The NFL prefers teams honor players by retiring their jerseys, not their numbers, but Harlan said White deserves a special honor.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/GB/8521563

I actually like the way the Redskins handle this. Sammy Baugh (33) was one of the greatest players of all time and perhaps the greatest player of his era. The Associated Press named Baugh as the third greatest NFL player of the 20th Century. While we've had several players have great years and wonderful seasons, I don't think any of them would be considered the greatest of his era.

I think they should keep 33 as the only officially retired number and if they want to honor other great players, just do what they currently do. In my opinion, Baugh should be in a class by himself.

Hail,

H

All during that season, the guys on the Sports Reporters kept talking about it and it jumped out at me when I saw Stephens wearing that #49. I just want to know how it was people jumped up and down when those guys were wearing 7 and 9, but no one said a word about #49. That was just the biggest slap in the face to Bobby Mitchell and he should be mad about it. They did him wrong!

You're right stwasm, that was a disgrace. I remember seeing Stephens come out on the field during Training Camp up in Carlisle wearing 49 and me and several others in the stands were wondering what was going on. Then he proceeded to drop several passes and everyone heckled him for wearing the number, but not playing like the number! At the time I figured they just needed extra numbers or that he got permission from Bobby to wear it. Turns out, they just didn't know any better.

It was shameful, as was the way Bobby Mitchell was treated by the Redskins late in his career.

Hail,

H

Ding ding ding. We have a winner! :applause:
Eventually you just can't keep retiring numbers or you will simply run out of them. Unless you want to go triple digits.

My Redskins desk calendar says the same for today's date (Jan 30).

Redskins Fact: The only uniform number officially retired by the Redskins is quarterback Sammy Baugh's 33.

I think the bigger screw up was not giving Bobby Mitchell a chance at being GM here. They went from Beathard to Casserly and then no one, meanwhile Bobby stayed an assistant the whole time. He may very well have been good at the job and saved us fans alot of heart ache. His number being worn pales in comparision to that slap in the face.

You guys already hit on it, but on my official 2007 Washington redskins day Calendar, this is the entry for Tuesday, January 30....

REDSKINS FACT:

The only uniform number officially retired by the Redskins is quarterback Sammy Baugh's 33.

See, those 365 day a year calendars actually do come in handy!

EDIT- Mark beat me to it

My opinion is this. If a player is in the Redskins Ring of Fame or the Hall of Fame, then his number should be able to be worn by another player. I don't like the idea of retiring or "unofficially" retiring numbers. I say give it 15 years (the time it takes to get in the HOF after retirement) and then put the numbers back in circulation. You will eventually run out of numbers with a 53 man roster and only 99 numbers.

The Yankees are a prime example. When Derek Jeter is done with #2, only the #6 worn by Joe Torre will be available and they may retire it also. That means that no future Yankee will be able to wear a single digit. I think the Celtics are another team that is close to closing out their single digits also.

There are some really superstitious athletes that just have to "Have" a particular number. Some of them are really into their number. Look at the trouble CP had with Ifyanhe Ohalete trying to pry #26 away from him. It went to court.

Really, if another Redskin wore #33, would he ever be mistaken for Sammy Baugh? We are an old franchise and the numbers will disappear soon. But this is the least of our worries right now.

Archived