Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Retired Redskin numbers

aikido09

I absolutely can not believe that #9 and #44 are not retired!!! Am I the only one who feels there are numbers that need to be retired with #33?

Hmm, I know they aren't retired, but there are certain numbers that you have to ask permission for. My feeling is that those two numbers are included.

i know some #'s are offically retired(like 33 and 28) and some are unoffically retired(9 and 44) which of the others are offically retired and which are unoffically retired?

Only 33 is officially retired. Mr. Green's Number isn't, and most likely will never if the team keeps going with the trend set early on in the teams history. One of the owners, after Retiring Sammy Baugh said they would never retire another jersey again.. Leading to unofficial retirements, such as 44, 9, 7, then there are others that are Need permission, but not really unofficially retired, such as 17. No one again will probably wear 44 or 9, and a few numbers again, but they won't be retired.

Only 33 is officially retired. Mr. Green's Number isn't, and most likely will never if the team keeps going with the trend set early on in the teams history. One of the owners, after Retiring Sammy Baugh said they would never retire another jersey again.. Leading to unofficial retirements, such as 44, 9, 7, then there are others that are Need permission, but not really unofficially retired, such as 17. No one again will probably wear 44 or 9, and a few numbers again, but they won't be retired.

And let's not forget #49!

So far, only Sammy Baugh's #33 has been retired. Numbers cosidered "out of circulation" are:

#7 Joe Theismann

#9 Sonny Jurgensen

#28 Darrell Green

#42 Charley Taylor

#43 Larry Brown

#44 John Riggins

#49 Bobby Mitchell

#51 Monte Coleman

#81 Art Monk

None of these numbers have been worn since those players left the team. I'd like to see 7, 28, 44, and 81 officially retired, although Darrell Green's number takes priority in my mind.

i know some #'s are offically retired(like 33 and 28) and some are unoffically retired(9 and 44) which of the others are offically retired and which are unoffically retired?

I thought this was correct, but I guess I was mistaken. Before the DG retirement, only 33 was retired. But it seems to me Dan made a big deal out of retiring #28. But apparently it was only an "unofficial" retirement.

<snip>

Unofficial retired numbers

The Redskins' policy since Baugh's retirement has been to not retire numbers. However, some numbers are unofficially retired and are usually withheld from being assigned to new players. The following numbers of past Redskin greats fall into that category.

7 Joe Theismann, QB, 1974-85

9 Sonny Jurgensen, QB, 1964-74

28 Darrell Green, CB, 1983-2002

42 Charley Taylor, WR, 1964-77

43 Larry Brown, RB, 1969-76

44 John Riggins, RB, 1976-79, 1981-85

49 Bobby Mitchell, RB, 1962-68

51 Monte Coleman, LB, 1979-94

70 Sam Huff, LB, 1964-69 (Worn by Leonard Marshall in 1993)

81 Art Monk, WR, 1980-93

In the film Everybody's All-American, Gavin Grey (played by Dennis Quaid) plays for the Redskins, and his number 47 is retired. In real life, that number was worn by running back Dick James at the time of the film (the 1960s), and the Redskins keep this number in circulation (currently worn by HB/TE Chris Cooley).

The use of unofficial retired numbers drew controversy during Steve Spurrier's first year as head coach. Quarterbacks Danny Weurffel and Shane Matthews first wore 7 and 9 respectively during training camp. The resulting sports talk furor led to them switching to 17 and 6. During the season, reserve tight end Leonard Stephens wore number 49 for the season. After his retirement as assistant GM, Bobby Mitchell blasted the team, accusing late owners Edward Bennett Williams and Jack Kent Cooke of racism for not being considered for GM and was upset that the team would let a player like Leonard Stephens wear his number.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins

<end>

As I remember, Bobby Mitchel was most pissed off at Snyder. Snyder, as I remember, dismissed it as "an oversight."

This is according to memory, but I thought that Mark Mosley's number was unofficially retired, too, but he allowed Jeff George to wear it for his season or two here. Does anyone else remember that?

I do remember during the Spurrier years that someone was wearing Bobby Mitchell's number. He didn't say anything until the end of the season--when he did say he felt insulted by it.

This is according to memory, but I thought that Mark Mosley's number was unofficially retired, too, but he allowed Jeff George to wear it for his season or two here. Does anyone else remember that?

I do remember during the Spurrier years that someone was wearing Bobby Mitchell's number. He didn't say anything until the end of the season--when he did say he felt insulted by it.

All during that season, the guys on the Sports Reporters kept talking about it and it jumped out at me when I saw Stephens wearing that #49. I just want to know how it was people jumped up and down when those guys were wearing 7 and 9, but no one said a word about #49. That was just the biggest slap in the face to Bobby Mitchell and he should be mad about it. They did him wrong!

All during that season, the guys on the Sports Reporters kept talking about it and it jumped out at me when I saw Stephens wearing that #49. I just want to know how it was people jumped up and down when those guys were wearing 7 and 9, but no one said a word about #49. That was just the biggest slap in the face to Bobby Mitchell and he should be mad about it. They did him wrong!

i can't speak for the rest of the crew, but i think 7 and 9 were way more recognizable numbers.

that said, those in the organization knew what they were doing. and it was wrong. very wrong.

i can't speak for the rest of the crew, but i think 7 and 9 were way more recognizable numbers.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I wasn't even a Redskins fan when Bobby Mitchell retired, and the Redskins sucked back then anyway -- even worse than they do now. It was so long ago. Bobby Mitchell never played on a winning Redskins team his entire career. The number 49 just doesn't flash in my head like the others. The only reason I know #70 is because I see it on eBay all the time. Mitchell & Ness makes that one.

Only a fool would WANT to try and wear #9 as a QB here. At least for a while yet.

Or, a RB and #43 or #44, or WR and #81, or a CB and 28.

It's not as bad if they give one of the "unofficially retired" #'s to someone at a different position. To me, Reed Doughty, at safety, is fine wearing Pat Fischer's number.

Hell, #21 has had several great Redskins wear it. Byner, Nelms, Terry Allen, and now Sean. Of course Pee-on disgraced the whole uniform, much less the number.

Rocky at #52 looks just fine on the outside.

#53 had two of the alltime greats. Harold McLinton & Jeff Bostic.

Point being, we can't officially retire a bunch of numbers. So, moving them around as much as possible is the best solution. IMO.

Archived