Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

what defense did williams run in 04/05?

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

obviously this year we did a lot of cover 2, and sucked miserably at it. im wondering (because i dont remember) what type of defenses we ran last year? im sure we ran some cover 2 because having 2 deep safties over top is a pretty common formation, but were we in this formation for most of last year? or did we run a lot of cover 1 with taylor ball hawking and clark/prealiou playing deep? jog my memory somebody!

Not sure, but like I said in another thread, I don't remember GW being a cover 2 Def. coordinator. Seems like we just started running it this year for AA because he came over from the Tampa2/Rams D.

I liked the 04/05 defense better when ST was ballhawking and the players were playing more gap control. I remember we played a read and react D the last years of Norv and Schotty. Hated that crap. GW came and said no more R & R. We were agressive, gang tackling, blitzing.

Now, The "IN VOGUE" cover 2 Bull****. We don't have the personel to run that. We have no Rhonde (Spings is always injured), we have no Derrick Brooks (Highway 57) and no Sapp/McFarland/Rice combo. The most important element in a good cover 2 is pressure. The Bears D has been pathetic since Tommie Harris left. And was worse when Tank Johnson was suspended.

Not sure, but like I said in another thread, I don't remember GW being a cover 2 Def. coordinator. Seems like we just started running it this year for AA because he came over from the Tampa2/Rams D.

I liked the 04/05 defense better when ST was ballhawking and the players were playing more gap control. I remember we played a read and react D the last years of Norv and Schotty. Hated that crap. GW came and said no more R & R. We were agressive, ganga tackling, blitzing.

Now, The "IN VOGUE" cover 2 Bull****. We don't have the personel to run that. We have no Rhonde (Spings is always injured), we have no Derrick Brooks (Highway 57) and no Sapp/McFarland/Rice combo. The most important element in a good cover 2 is pressure. The Bears D has been pathetic since Tommie Harris left. And was worse when Tank Johnson was suspended.

the ball hawking saftey is a cover 1, and it allows for better coverage in the middle, more run stuffing due to the saftey (taylor) biting up to the line if necessary, and more exotic blitzing because you can blitz a corner and have the saftey drop into man coverage for the receiver he left alone. but again, you cant do that unless you have two safties that can cover, which archuleta could not, and preileou being out left williams handcuffed with poor personel.

the ball hawking saftey is a cover 1, and it allows for better coverage in the middle, more run stuffing due to the saftey (taylor) biting up to the line if necessary, and more exotic blitzing because you can blitz a corner and have the saftey drop into man coverage for the receiver he left alone. but again, you cant do that unless you have two safties that can cover, which archuleta could not, and preileou being out left williams handcuffed with poor personel.

A ball hawking safety has NOTHING to do with whether you're in a cover 1 or a cover 2. Some of the most exoctic blitzing you'll ever see comes from a cover 2.

A ball hawking safety has NOTHING to do with whether you're in a cover 1 or a cover 2. Some of the most exoctic blitzing you'll ever see comes from a cover 2.

explain that to me though. if you have 4 lineman, 3 LBs, 2 corners and 2 safties in a cover 2, your safties are deep. if you want to run a corner blitz, who is going to cover the man left open? a slow linebacker on a WR??

im not saying youre wrong though, id just like clarification on how you run an exotic blitz thats effective if both are safties are deep in coverage.

Archived