Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Stats

Oldfan

On nfl.com, they list the #1 draft picks (1982 - 2005) which are sortable by position. I spent about an hour with the list and gathered a few stats of interest in the draft discussions.

RBs topped the list with 87 picks spent on them. QBs were next, drafted with 51 picks. That seems low compared to RBs until you remember that QBs have longer careers, so there is less need to replace them.

Overall, teams used 53% of their first-round picks on offense, 47% on defense. If not for the longer careers of QBs, the spread in those percentages would be greater.

The number shown is for each position (cut in half if there are two spots on the team).

RB = 87

QB = 51

WR = 44

DE = 44

OT = 37

CB = 34

DT = 30 (11 NTs included)

TE = 25 (two FBs included)

LB = 25

OG = 16

S = 14

C = 9

K = 1

With more teams going from the 4-3 to the 3-4, the DE number should decline as the LB number rises. The TE numbers can be expected to rise since offensive coordinators have upgraded the position in recent years.

The value of each position will change with schemes and teams, but the list gives a rough idea of how NFL teams overall value each position.

Edit: kicker added after original post

Well, I'd love to trade down with teh Vikes, so they could get Calvin/Jarrett/Ginn (if the fall to us), and then with the Texans so they could get Peterson. Then we could get Anderson. Though, I don't see why any of those two teams would trade up if they had no incentive to.

With more teams going from the 4-3 to the 3-4, the DE number should decline as the LB number rises.

Shouldn't that mean DT. In a 3-4, you have a NT and 2 DE's. One of the DE's are usually bigger than the other so a LB can come in and essentially play the DE position (a la Lawrance Taylor).

Shouldn't that mean DT. In a 3-4, you have a NT and 2 DE's. One of the DE's are usually bigger than the other so a LB can come in and essentially play the DE position (a la Lawrance Taylor).

Ah yes, the old tweener issue.

I believe the way he has it listed is the way the teams announce their choice at the draft. If their intention is to draft an OLB and be used on a DE position, they will announce him as DE. Also, many schemes will use the player as both, so you're in a catch twenty-two on how to list them.

I'd leave it as listed.:2cents:

I expected to see a larger number of DB's based on the normal CB run in the mid to late first round.

So, given the odds above, since Washington seems pretty well set at the first three positions, it's likely that they will draft a DE in the first round?

Sounds like a rational pick...and that is why we will do something else.:doh:

On another thread, the one with 480 posts, I argued in support of the Calvin Johnson enthusiasts that a potential All-Pro WR would raise our team's overall grade more than any potential All-Pro defensive player.

If we go defense, the DE position is the most valuable. But, let's remember that our guy has to fit the 4-3 scheme. Is either Gaines Adams or Jamal Anderson worth a #6 in our scheme? I don't know.

On another thread, the one with 480 posts, I argued in support of the Calvin Johnson enthusiasts that a potential All-Pro WR would raise our team's overall grade more than any potential All-Pro defensive player.

If we go defense, the DE position is the most valuable. But, let's remember that our guy has to fit the 4-3 scheme. Is either Gaines Adams or Jamal Anderson worth a #6 in our scheme? I don't know.

Both Adams and Anderson are 4-3 DE's. Why would that even be questioned? Are they good enough to be picked at #6? I think you could debate that, but since they play in 4-3 defences in college, and no way could Adams play in the 3-4. Anderson MIGHT be able to pick up 20-30 lbs and move in, but that is not what he does in college, would have to pack wieght on, and it would be a "experiment".

Both Adams and Anderson are 4-3 DE's. Why would that even be questioned? Are they good enough to be picked at #6? I think you could debate that, but since they play in 4-3 defences in college, and no way could Adams play in the 3-4. Anderson MIGHT be able to pick up 20-30 lbs and move in, but that is not what he does in college, would have to pack wieght on, and it would be a "experiment".

Is it possible the poster meant that Adams could be an OLB in a 3-4?....

Is it possible the poster meant that Adams could be an OLB in a 3-4?....

What I wondered, but did not clearly state, is whether either prospect fit the Gregg Williams 4-3 well enough to warrant a #6 pick since Gregg keeps the DE in a strong run defend position on most downs.

This scouting report of doubtful origin is the first one I pulled up on Gaines Adams and remarks on the aspect of his game that I'm wondering about.

Gaines Adams is an exceptional athlete with excellent speed and agility. He is explosive off the snap and shows his speed getting around the opposing offensive tackle. Playing the Bandit defensive end position at Clemson allowed Adams to display his versatility to drop into pass coverage on occasion. He also possesses a large enough frame to add bulk if needed in the NFL. Although he plays decent against the run, he will need some improvement to be an ever down player at defensive end. His athleticism could have him playing outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. With 12.5 sacks during his senior year, Adams became Clemsons all-time sack leader. Adams has come a long way since playing 8-man football in High School in 2000 to a top-rated pass rusher at the collegiate level. His athleticism and versatility projects well at the next level and clearly make him a first round selection. Look for Adams to be selected as a top 10 pick on draft day.

Archived