Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Anderson suddenly more valuable than Adams?

Joncevensen

enough with the comparisons of Anderson to Jason Taylor or Julius Peppers. If this guy was anything like either of those two he would be a top 2 pick. Its way too early to even come up with these mock drafts. Every year the same thing happens, you have all these sure fire mock drafts and then the combine comes around and completely flips everyones predictions around. I know everyone loves to predict whats going to happen all the time but just be patient and wait for at least the combine.

Because the combine is so telling. :rolleyes:

anderson is like a jason taylor type/julius pepper.

No he is not. That is a myth created by people on this board who *wish* that we could get Julius Peppers with our 6th pick. Anderson isn't a pass rushing demon like Peppers or Taylor. Anderson isn't anywhere as close to atheltic as either of them.

Again, the perfect analog for him is Richard Seymour. If we can guarantee that he will be that good, then he is a great pick at #6. But he might not be as good as Seymour. (Note: this is something I pointed out back on Jan. 9, and lo and behold, now its on the Jan. 16 NFLDraftCountdown mock: "a Richard Seymour clone.")

Seymour had another 40 tackles, 4 sacks year. Seymour gets about 5 sacks a year. His best year he had 8. And he averages about 45 tackles a year. Peppers had 13 sacks this year, and averages around 11 sacks a year. In the last 2 years, Seymour has had 8 sacks combined; Peppers has had 23.5 sacks. They are completely different players.

Regardless, he will never be Peppers or Taylor. He isn't that kind of player or talent. He is a Seymour.

So don't take him because you want Peppers because he is not Peppers. If you want pressure, take Adams.

So don't take him because you want Peppers because he is not Peppers. If you want pressure, take Adams.

Why? Adams put up similar sack totals agaisnt lesser compition. Im not saying that he is the next coming of Reggie White or Peppers (I already mentioned that he shouldn't be compared to anyone till he actually started playing in the NFL), but I dont see how Adams would be a upgrade to Anderson as a pass rusher.

Why? Adams put up similar sack totals agaisnt lesser compition. Im not saying that he is the next coming of Reggie White or Peppers (I already mentioned that he shouldn't be compared to anyone till he actually started playing in the NFL), but I dont see how Adams would be a upgrade to Anderson as a pass rusher.

Because you are just looking at the numbers on paper of sacks. And those numbers lie; or at least don't tell the whole story.

Gaines Adams is the top pure edge pass rusher in the draft. I'm sure that most scouts agree on this.

So if you are looking for an edge rusher (which is usually what people who cry for Peppers want), then you want Adams.

Anderson is not a pure edge rusher. He is a Richard Seymour.

Because you are just looking at the numbers on paper of sacks. And those numbers lie; or at least don't tell the whole story.

Gaines Adams is the top pure edge pass rusher in the draft. I'm sure that most scouts agree on this.

So if you are looking for an edge rusher (which is usually what people who cry for Peppers want), then you want Adams.

Thank you for pointing that out! And I am over this "he played against lesser competition" to use as draft points. So did Sean Merriman and look at him.

Last time I checked there are usually a handful ACC teams in the top 20 and even several in the top 10. The conference one plays in is not as valid of an arguing point - unless it SEC to a mid major conference of 1AA. And even then, look at Rothlessberger . . . look at my homeboy Darren Sharper who played at W&M . . . he is a pro-bowl player.

A lot of times top HS players don't excel and grow in the college ranks and you never hear of them after they leave an SEC school.

Again, I'm not arguing that the SEC is not a great conference, and has one of the best traditions in college football. But let's be realistic. PAC 10, Big 10, Big 12, ACC . . . have all had recent national champions in the last decade.

And another thing to think about regarding conference strenght, ask Boise St. what they think about their talent level compared to the Big 12.

Adams is a playmaker, a speed rusher . . . I'm not saying he's the next Freeny or Pepper's, but he uses his quickness to cause chaos. And he is no slouch either at 6'4 or 6'5 with a sick wingspan.

Regardless, as long as we go D in the draft we should get a quality/impact player even if we trade down.

the fact anderson played in the SEC where more NFL talent now resides.. anderson is like a jason taylor type/julius pepper.. the guy can play both the run and pass effectively and would work great in a GW scheme

That has nothing to do with it. Doesn't matter what conference you're coming out of. And the ACC's put out as many 1st rd picks over the last 3 years as the SEC has. 12 ACC players went in the 1st rd last year.

Chill guys, it was a legit question. I only saw Gains play 1 game this year (Kentucky) and I got to see Anderson in several. Gaines was shut done cmpletely after the 1st quarter of that game, so that was all I had to go on him really. I also think you are underestmating Anderson's speed. Guess the combine will tell that story, but I think he's be as effective rushing the passer as Gaines.

So does that mean that Gaines' numbers lie too? Have you watch both of them play and compared their styles? How did Anderson get all of his sacks if he isn't a good edge rusher? Did he jump over the offensive linemen or bulldoze his way through the middle? I doubt the QB came to him every time. Also, what is with the Seymour comparisons? Why are people comparing a pure 4-3 DE to a 3-4 DE/4-3 DT? They are completely different position types! Seymour weighs about 30 lbs more than Anderson and is the same height so I'm not that surprised at him not being a fast edge rusher and getting tons of sacks. That isn't what he specializes in.

I'll give it to you that Adams didn't do much in the game against Kentucky, but neither did their entire team. Gaines caused a sack that caused a fubmle and was returned for 30 yards in the 1st series of the game. Unfortunaltey the QB had just gotten rid of the ball so they overturned the play. He was injured on that play and the enitre team sucked. They were not happy to be in that game, as they had a late season slide once VT shut them down, and things went down hill from their.

You guys are probably right, maybe Anderson is a much better player . . I'm not arguing over their stats. I'm just refuting the comment that because the SEC is such a good conference that players from the ACC or any other conference are somehow inferior. That is all i am trying to get across.

I'll give it to you that Adams didn't do much in the game against Kentucky, but neither did their entire team. Gaines caused a sack that caused a fubmle and was returned for 30 yards in the 1st series of the game. Unfortunaltey the QB had just gotten rid of the ball so they overturned the play. He was injured on that play and the enitre team sucked. They were not happy to be in that game, as they had a late season slide once VT shut them down, and things went down hill from their.

You guys are probably right, maybe Anderson is a much better player . . I'm not arguing over their stats. I'm just refuting the comment that because the SEC is such a good conference that players from the ACC or any other conference are somehow inferior. That is all i am trying to get across.

My whole argument for Anderson over Adams has never been that the ACC sucks or the SEC is so much better. ACC and SEC both have good teams and a good amount of talent; I think in general the SEC is a bit above most other conferences in a pure talent comparison but that is a moot point. My argument has more to do with his talents, his size/speed, his ability to make plays, and my belief that he is the best overall fit for our defense. That isn't maligning Adams, just saying that I think Anderson would work better for the Skins. Conference does come into play for me, but mostly just because he was able to come in as a WR, moved to DE while gaining 70 lbs, and by the end of his junior season be the sack leader and 2nd best in tackles for loss in a very tough conference. If he had done the same in the ACC it would have been very impressive as well.

For me the difference between Adams and Anderson is that Anderson is a good run stopper as well. Anderson expects to run between a 4.5 and a 4.7 40 at the combine, and I think Adams is on record with a 4.75 40. If you have a guy that runs a 4.7 40 coming off the edge, I'd consider that a speed rusher, except Anderson has the str to more than come off the edge. And as has been noted, we already have a 265 lbs speed rusher. I think Gaines would be a good player on the right team (where he would have less run support responsiblites) but we as bad as both our pass pressure and run defence has been, I think we need guys that can do both.

I dont understand the Richard Seymour stuff. Seymour is a 3-4 DE, Anderson is a 4-3 DE.

My whole argument for Anderson over Adams has never been that the ACC sucks or the SEC is so much better. ACC and SEC both have good teams and a good amount of talent; I think in general the SEC is a bit above most other conferences in a pure talent comparison but that is a moot point. My argument has more to do with his talents, his size/speed, his ability to make plays, and my belief that he is the best overall fit for our defense. That isn't maligning Adams, just saying that I think Anderson would work better for the Skins. Conference does come into play for me, but mostly just because he was able to come in as a WR, moved to DE while gaining 70 lbs, and by the end of his junior season be the sack leader and 2nd best in tackles for loss in a very tough conference. If he had done the same in the ACC it would have been very impressive as well.

that is a very valid point . . . I guess it's the homerism in me that just likes what I see in Adams, because he's bailed my team out so many times. Hail to em.

that is a very valid point . . . I guess it's the homerism in me that just likes what I see in Adams, because he's bailed my team out so many times. Hail to em.

Dude, I know the feeling! Do you know how phyched I was when Washington drafted Shuler?! I was born in Knoxville, my dad went to UT, tutored Philip Fulmer when he was a player there. And to see him turn out like he did, it was the worst thing that could happen to me.......

Every year I hope the 'Skins draft UT guys. I really wanted Simon to make the team last year, but he had injuries and got cut. Trust me, I know the feeling. :)

Dude, I know the feeling! Do you know how phyched I was when Washington drafted Shuler?! I was born in Knoxville, my dad went to UT, tutored Philip Fulmer when he was a player there. And to see him turn out like he did, it was the worst thing that could happen to me.......

Every year I hope the 'Skins draft UT guys. I really wanted Simon to make the team last year, but he had injuries and got cut. Trust me, I know the feeling. :)

Haha. My father went to UT also and he is a HUGE Vols fan. We were all so excited when Shuler was drafted and couldn't wait to see how he did. Unfortunate that it ended up the way it did.

Haha. My father went to UT also and he is a HUGE Vols fan. We were all so excited when Shuler was drafted and couldn't wait to see how he did. Unfortunate that it ended up the way it did.

Yeah, I remember watching Rod Gardner single handedly defeat the SC Game****s in Death Valley when i was at Clemson, on more than one occassion. So I was pretty stoked that he got drafted by us, although i thought he was drafted a bit higher than he deserved.

Regardless, i always pulled for him. Some games he looked like a pro-bowler, some games he looked like Carlos Rodgers. It sucked that he didn't pan out, but I lost no sleep when we released him, because he wansnt; performing for the burgundy and gold. Though I wish him luck.

Archived