Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Champ Bailey - Defensive Player Of the Year

sitting bull

Dude it wasn't a great trade, but there have been worse trades. Don't feel that bad man.

Did I mention the trade? Or are you confused? Do you think we traded Champ Bailey for Santana Moss? We traded Champ for Clinton Portis, just to refresh your memory.

I thought the trade sucked at the time because we had to give up a 2nd round pick in addition to Champ. Its gotten better over the years, however, and I'm happy with Portis. Champ wanted to leave DC and basically could pick where he wanted to go, so we really had no leverage.

How can you put up a receiver beating a corner when the ball wasn't complete? :doh:

:laugh: You're telling me I need to learn football, but you don't know what it means for a WR to beat a corner?? (:secret: Look at the pictures to see what it means...) :laugh:

:laugh: You're telling me I need to learn football, but you don't know what it means for a WR to beat a corner?? (:secret: Look at the pictures to see what it means...) :laugh:

You count stats for a shutdown corner? :doh:

And the picture shows me an incompletion. I don't believe anyone can say with any certainty that Santana would have caught that ball had it not been underthrown, Bailey could have have been baiting. I'm not here to stick up for Bailey over Moss, that wouldn't be bright, I'm just pointing out that just because a receiver gets behind the corner, doesn't mean the corner is beat, as is the case here.

:laugh: Man...just in the last two years there has been nothing on this board except how much Champ gets beat. He was the best corner in the NFL this season, true. He's been an excellent corner in his career, true. But he's also been beaten a LOT in previous years. Jerry Porter scorched him for 3 TDs two years ago. The Colts scorched the Broncos for 8,000 points 2 and 3 years ago. Chad Johnson routinely owned him in the past. And don't get me started on Amani Toomer...he absolutely DESTROYED Champ everytime we played the Giants.

Best CB in the last 10 years is LAUGHABLE. Jesus...he's had one elite season. :laugh:

You count stats for a shutdown corner? :doh:

WTF are you talking about?? Where did I count stats?? I posted three pictures, demonstrating Moss putting a move on Bailey, and then smoking him down the field. 3 steps on a DB = beating him in the NFL.

And the picture shows me an incompletion.

The picture shows a well underthrown ball, which was the reason for the incompletion. :doh:

I don't believe anyone can say with any certainty that Santana would have caught that ball had it not been underthrown, Bailey could have have been baiting.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm sorry...I had it all wrong. All great CBs bait QBs by letting the WR beat them downfield by 3 steps...what was I thinking?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:secret: That's not the definition of "baiting" the QB...

Bailey deserved it, no doubt. He's been the best corner in the league going on 4-5 years now and he's made the players in the secondary better by teaching them the way Darrell did him when he came on the scene.

I love Portis, but I still wish Bailey was with us.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Man...you are a comedic genious today!! :laugh:

What's so funny about somebody saying Bailey is one of the greatest cb's of all time??????

He is a lock for the hall of fame which obviously means he's one of the greatest cb's of all time.

Everyones talkin like we got stiffed.

Where were these people last year when CP was carrying us to the playoffs?

exactly. Its still a good trade for both teams.

With Champ, we didn't make the playoffs. Except his rookie year I think. With Portis, we have. Meanwhile, Denver who almost always makes the playoffs needed that DB to help them in the playoffs to get to the Superbowl. He hasn't filled that roll for them yet.

By the way, I would have voted for Ed Reed. His big plays come in big games and usually put his team over.

Champs big plays usually come in the regular season and he's never made that game changer to put his team over.

What big plays has Ed Reed made in the playoffs to win the game???? Please tell me one occasion where that happened?

Did you forget when Bailey had that 100 yard return in the playoffs to seal the game for the broncos in the playoffs last year against Brady and the defending champion Patriots?

-some of you guys need to quit hatin on Champ

You mean it wasn't Lavar "Mr. Redskins". They should have chose Champ over Lavar. Portis is a great back but Champ is the best in the league 4+ years and RB are much easier to find.

I will have to agree with this one here.

I am hoping that Carlos steps his game up to even a microscopic mimic of Champ. But, who's comparing anyway! :D

By the way, I would have voted for Ed Reed. His big plays come in big games and usually put his team over.

Champs big plays usually come in the regular season and he's never made that game changer to put his team over.

Yeah, but weren't like 6 of Champ's 10 INTs in the end zone? I'd say those are pretty big plays. Plus, the pick and TD against NE in the playoffs last year (even though it wasn't really a TD) was a REAL big play.

Did I mention the trade? Or are you confused? Do you think we traded Champ Bailey for Santana Moss? We traded Champ for Clinton Portis, just to refresh your memory.

I thought the trade sucked at the time because we had to give up a 2nd round pick in addition to Champ. Its gotten better over the years, however, and I'm happy with Portis. Champ wanted to leave DC and basically could pick where he wanted to go, so we really had no leverage.

It was a subtle commentary on taking pride in Santana Moss beating Champ on one particular occassion in the pro bowl. Can you say microscope? It's really not a big deal, and certainly nothing for anyone to take pride in. I'm surprised you even had hi-res screen captures on hand for just such an occassion.

People that look at this situation as Portis being the better trade only seem to justify it by oversimplifying the entire situation with both teams. The only grounds I do see as valid are saying if you believe Champ would be a cancer that could not be fixed, then don't have him around. Thats the angle I would persue. Not that Champ doesn't have a superbowl ring and the redskins made the playoffs once therefore all credit and all fault are placed souly on those two players. We could talk for hours about all the other things that factor into that. This is more thrown out there for everyone, and not directed at you jrock.

All CB's get burnt. Look at how many times ours did. CB is probably one of the hardest positions to play. I think people just make a big deal out of it when Champ does because 1) He's suspose to be the best 2) He's an ex-redskin.

Plus the Pro Bowl have retarded rules. No blitzing and the safeties have to stay within the hash marks until the ball is thrown. I also think there is no bump and run.

It was the probowl dude, you think they are giving it their all? Look at how high scoring the Pro Bowl usually is, those defenses sure are playing tough!:rolleyes:

I was sharing those pics not as an indictment of Champ, but just to show Moss smoked him. :) But if you don't think they are playing for pride in those games, you're an idiot. And don't forget; its an extra 25K for the winners of the game compared to the losers...that's like 5 or 6 Minnesota party boats.

What's so funny about somebody saying Bailey is one of the greatest cb's of all time??????

He is a lock for the hall of fame which obviously means he's one of the greatest cb's of all time.

A LOCK for the hall of fame?? Wow...I wouldn't say he's a lock at all. He'll probably make it for sure, but he's not a lock.

What big plays has Ed Reed made in the playoffs to win the game???? Please tell me one occasion where that happened?

Did you forget when Bailey had that 100 yard return in the playoffs to seal the game for the broncos in the playoffs last year against Brady and the defending champion Patriots?

That was a BS play. He half-assed it down the sideline, and was caught by a fat-boy TE. And it should have been ruled a fumble into the endzone, Pats ball; the refs got that one wrong. Chump got lucky that he's remembered heroically, and not Leon Lett-like. :)

It was a subtle commentary on taking pride in Santana Moss beating Champ on one particular occassion in the pro bowl. Can you say microscope? It's really not a big deal, and certainly nothing for anyone to take pride in.

I take great pride in it...it was friggin' awesome. Champ is supposed to be the best one-on-one corner in the NFL, and Santana made him his *****.

I'm surprised you even had hi-res screen captures on hand for just such an occassion.

Those pictures were taken by my Canon Rebel XT from my seats in Aloha Stadium. :) I was kinda drunk from the tailgate, so I forgot to put the camera on the "action" setting; otherwise the pics would have been a lot better. Go here for more if you're interested.

People that look at this situation as Portis being the better trade only seem to justify it by oversimplifying the entire situation with both teams. The only grounds I do see as valid are saying if you believe Champ would be a cancer that could not be fixed, then don't have him around. Thats the angle I would persue. Not that Champ doesn't have a superbowl ring and the redskins made the playoffs once therefore all credit and all fault are placed souly on those two players. We could talk for hours about all the other things that factor into that. This is more thrown out there for everyone, and not directed at you jrock.

I think history has shown the trade as a wash. Tatum Bell hasn't come close to putting up Portis' numbers in Denver, so the "any RB in Denver can get a billion yards" line isn't 100% true. They've been searching for a franchise back since Portis left; they might have finally found one in Mike Bell, but that remains to be seen. Champ and CP have both helped out their teams significantly...it has worked out well for both of us.

I sure would have liked to have that second round pick though...:(

Archived