Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who Should Gregg Williams Model His New D After?

method man

It has become common knowledge that Gregg Williams is probably going to make major changes to his D. His Cover 2 scheme was clearly exposed with big plays down the middle nearly every game. Williams is going to have to adjust. With our personnel, who would you like him to model our new D next year after?

I would say the Bears but we lack the skill level, especially on the DLine and at LB, and the ballhawks to make it work.

Therefore, I suggest we model our D after the VIKINGS. Although they stunk today, Minny's D has been excellent this year. Their current personnel are similar to ours. On the DL, none of their DEs are very good pass rushers. If we get Branch in the draft, our DT combo would be similar to theirs. At LB, with Rocky now starting, our LB corps's are now comparable. Even in the secondary, if we move Springs to FS and sign Hood to be one of the starting corners, our secondary will be better than theirs in talent.

It has become common knowledge that Gregg Williams is probably going to make major changes to his D. His Cover 2 scheme was clearly exposed with big plays down the middle nearly every game. Williams is going to have to adjust. With our personnel, who would you like him to model our new D next year after?

I would say the Bears but we lack the skill level, especially on the DLine and at LB, and the ballhawks to make it work.

Therefore, I suggest we model our D after the VIKINGS. Although they stunk today, Minny's D has been excellent this year. Their current personnel are similar to ours. On the DL, none of their DEs are very good pass rushers. If we get Branch in the draft, our DT combo would be similar to theirs. At LB, with Rocky now starting, our LB corps's are now comparable. Even in the secondary, if we move Springs to FS and sign Hood to be one of the starting corners, our secondary will be better than theirs in talent.

Minn ran the Cover 2 this year.

just draft young d-line and cbs.. and constant substitution will help this defense

It is not that simple. Over the course of the season, I saw nearly all of the big passing plays come across the middle. It did not matter who our SS was. They all came in the middle. Collinsworth also showed other problems with the scheme yesterday

Well, the fact that he couldn't make the necessary changes DURING the season should tell you he should be fired. Let's see how long it would take him to make his changes when he's unemployed!!!

Oh come on, you know the whole problem was Adam Archuletta. Even once he was benched his aura made the defense stink. Gregg Williams' scheme is perfect. He can do no wrong. It was all AA's fault.

:silly:

stop the run make teams pass

and blitz and get TURNOVERS

That is what good D's like Chicago's does. We need to get the personnel for this, however. At the very minimum, we should move Springs to FS to take care of center field duties, so ST can focus on getting picks.

It is not that simple. Over the course of the season, I saw nearly all of the big passing plays come across the middle. It did not matter who our SS was. They all came in the middle. Collinsworth also showed other problems with the scheme yesterday

that happens when u cant bring pressure and also need to help your corners in coverage.. get alan branch and he will defintely open up stuff for our LBs. when you have ade jimoh, kenny wright and other street bums, thats what happens

Tackling 101. Maybe he can get some local high school kids to come by and show them how it's done, since the coaches seem unable to communicate something simple like locking them up. Start with the little things. What the Offense does, what the Defense should do. Or they could just fire the guy and start fresh. From the bottom you can only go up. Hopefully w/o GW.

I think if we get another DB to see a more agressive defense next season. One where the blitzing comes from more angles. I also expect less help from the safeties as they will be more involved in the run game and blitzing. Basically, I see more 46 looks, but still use cover 2 etc. I see way more looks to keep teams confused. The biggest change I expect will not come from GW, but from Joe Gibbs. I see a more physical style coming to the Skins on both sides of the ball.

We don't have the personnel for a 3-4.

We don't have the personnel for the 4-3 either. Carter is a 'tweener who fits the 3-4 OLB better than the 4-3 DE.

If we stay in the 4-3 we need a MLB. If we go to the 3-4, we need a NT, so that's a wash.

The advantage of the 3-4 is that the offense has to guess which LB will be rushing the passer. The more unpredictable the scheme, the less talent needed.

We don't have the personnel for the 4-3 either. Carter is a 'tweener who fits the 3-4 DE better than the 4-3.

If we stay in the 4-3 we need a MLB. If we go to the 3-4, we need a NT, so that's a wash.

The advantage of the 3-4 is that the offense has to guess which LB will be rushing the passer. The more unpredictable the scheme, the less talent needed.

3-4 DEs are usually as big as one gap DTs. Carter definitely isn't that big. If you mean 3-4 OLB, Carter played that at the end of his SF career and he wasn't too good at it. We need a new MLB whether it is 3-4 or 4-3 so we definitely have the personnel for a 4-3

3-4 DEs are usually as big as one gap DTs. Carter definitely isn't that big. If you mean 3-4 OLB, Carter played that at the end of his SF career and he wasn't too good at it. We need a new MLB whether it is 3-4 or 4-3 so we definitely have the personnel for a 4-3

Maybe Carter isn't that great in either scheme. A MLB in the 3-4?

He has been good lately in this 4-3 defense. 4 sacks in the past 5 weeks. There is no way he has enough pass coverage skills to be a MLB in the 3-4

Sorry, I should have separated those two lines. I wasn't suggesting that Carter would play the position. I was noting that there isn't a MLB in the 3-4, so I'm not sure what you meant.

Archived