Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why haven't we fired Vinnie Cerrato yet? (Merged 2X)

skinsaddict

I've heard some people talk about the one or two players on which Vinny has made a hit, but let's face it, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

Vinny is the rare blind squirrel who can't find his own two nuts most of the time.

Does Snyder really do that?...I knew about the raquetball....but the image of Carlie Brown came to mind with the field goal thing...I mean I guess its his team so to each his own...just a funny image...:logo:

The story goes that, after he got the team, one of the first things he did was go to the practice fields and have Vinny hold the football for him so he could kick field goals. All the while, Vinny's probably thinking, "Has anyone seen my dignity?"

The story goes that, after he got the team, one of the first things he did was go to the practice fields and have Vinny hold the football for him so he could kick field goals. All the while, Vinny's probably thinking, "Has anyone seen my dignity?"

The story continues that Snyder missed every damn kick so badly that they sailed over the fence into traffic, lost forever. "Hmmm..." said Snyder, "I seem to remember that we insured those balls for twice what we paid for them! I think I'm on to something -- losing can be profitable!"

The rest is history.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.p...34&storyID=5872

Quote:

Sundquist said that most of his conversations on potential trades usually flow through Redskins vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato.

"Then he speaks with Coach (Joe) Gibbs and Mr. Snyder," Sundquist said. "I've known Vinny for a while, and he has a relationship with (Head) Coach (Mike) Shanahan through (the 1992-94 seasons in) San Francisco. I sit with Mr. Snyder at the Super Bowl every year; they happen to be in our box. He's always (saying), 'Hey, if you want to do deals, let's do them.'"

And people still think Gibbs is the GM? He is not even the one doing the leg work in the deals.

I am hoping that JG has seen enough and demands that Snyder hire a true GM to run this team. If anyone can convince Snyder, HOF Coach Gibbs can. Let's hope that Gibby has someone in mind and that person comes in and runs this organization the way it's supposed to be run and this team gets on track.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.p...34&storyID=5872

Quote:

Sundquist said that most of his conversations on potential trades usually flow through Redskins vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato.

"Then he speaks with Coach (Joe) Gibbs and Mr. Snyder," Sundquist said. "I've known Vinny for a while, and he has a relationship with (Head) Coach (Mike) Shanahan through (the 1992-94 seasons in) San Francisco. I sit with Mr. Snyder at the Super Bowl every year; they happen to be in our box. He's always (saying), 'Hey, if you want to do deals, let's do them.'"

He is not even the one asking for the trades or doing the leg work.

So why does everyone say he runs everthing?

I am sorry, but if and that's a big IF he is, it's wrong. Don't get me wrong, he's a hell of a coach, but his is not GM material. You'd better thank Bobby Beathard for drafting the players he drafted because if not for Bobby, we'd not done what we did. My personal opinion folks. All of you old timers think about what I am saying and please chime in.

Who looks like the GM to you? Snyder asking if a owner wants to make deals.

Vinny is the one working out the deals.

But Gibbs is the only who gets blamed. Amazing.

Dude, if I had to make an call on this, I would say that Snyder confirs with Gibbs and Cerrato and together they make the choices. To me, if we'd hire a real GM, we could pick up some genuine FA talent and draft some very good draft choices to make this team one to be reckon with.

Dude, if I had to make an call on this, I would say that Snyder confirs with Gibbs and Cerrato and together they make the choices. To me, if we'd hire a real GM, we could pick up some genuine FA talent and draft some very good draft choices to make this team one to be reckon with.

I believe at this point and the more that we read/hear about how the front office works, a prototypical GM would not solve the Redskins personnel issues. If Cerrato or JG doesn't have autonomy or at least freedom to go after players in their own way then who else would have that trust?

As JG describes their decision making process it sounds great in theory but when they make a bad decision it's even worse because everyone, according to Gibbs, had a say so. That means the entire FO made a mistake and not just one GM. Who do you blame, who's in charge and who has the final say? :2cents:

I believe at this point and the more that we read/hear about how the front office works, a prototypical GM would not solve the Redskins personnel issues. If Cerrato or JG doesn't have autonomy or at least freedom to go after players in their own way then who else would have that trust?

As JG describes their decision making process it sounds great in theory but when they make a bad decision it's even worse because everyone, according to Gibbs, had a say so. That means the entire FO made a mistake and not just one GM. Who do you blame, who's in charge and who has the final say? :2cents:

There is no one to blame. Except for Snyder.

Something we all need to keep in mind:

Teams with GM's still make poor draft choices.

Teams with GM's still misfire on free agent selections.

Teams with GM's still make foolish financial decisions regarding contracts.

Hiring a GM is not a panacea that will cure all of these things magically overnight.

This is not to say that the current system is working, only that the simple act of hiring a GM will not necessarily restore the stability and winning tradition that we're all so desperately seeking.

Teams with GM's still make poor draft choices.

Teams with GM's still misfire on free agent selections.

Teams with GM's still make foolish financial decisions regarding contracts.

Hiring a GM is not a panacea that will cure all of these things magically overnight.

This is not to say that the current system is working, only that the simple act of hiring a GM will not necessarily restore the stability and winning tradition that we're all so desperately seeking.

Not with Snyder running the show in the background. It is depressing he does do interviews and answer to his mistakes.

Gibbs takes all the hits.

Teams with QUALITY GM's make FEWER poor draft choices.

Teams with QUALITY GM's misfire on FEWER free agent selections.

Teams with QUALITY GM's still make foolish financial decisions regarding contracts. BUT NOT AS MANY AS WE DO

Hiring a GM is not a panacea that will cure all of these things magically overnight. BUT IT IS A SOLID START IF YOU FIND THE RIGHT MAN FOR THE JOB

Edited for correctness

There was a distinct change in philosophy between 2005 and 2006. In 2004, we signed mostly relatively no-name guys. In 2005, we hardly signed anyone new at all. But in 2006, we went back to trying to "buy a Super Bowl."

My theory is that in 2004, the new coaches got to bring in their guys . After that, Vinny took over. In 2005, we had no money from the Coles deal, so there was no spending spree. But with the new CBA in 2006, Vinny was back to his usual ways.

There was a distinct change in philosophy between 2005 and 2006. In 2004, we signed mostly relatively no-name guys. In 2005, we hardly signed anyone new at all. But in 2006, we went back to trying to "buy a Super Bowl."

My theory is that in 2004, the new coaches got to bring in their guys . After that, Vinny took over. In 2005, we had no money from the Coles deal, so there was no spending spree. But with the new CBA in 2006, Vinny was back to his usual ways.

The thing i hate is how Vinny only does deals with the teams he has relationships with.

Denver , San Fran

I see why Marty fired him his first day on the job.

Archived