Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So what notable Gm's are available?

RWJ

SI had an article about some GMs that may become available after this season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/michael_silver/12/21/week15/index.html

Carl Peterson (KC) - I doubt they would just because of what happened with Saunders, but he does find some talented players.

Bruce Allen (TB) - Im not sure about him tho. Since he took over for TB they havent done too well in the draft.

Floyd Reese (TN) - This one is intriguing to me.

here's an idea, how about we try not to go after some big name guy. Grab some younger person with experience, but loads of potential, who could conceivably be GM for decades to come. I know Darrell Green wouldn't do it, but someone like him. Shoot, they don't even have to be a former player, just someone who has knowledge of what and how player scouting works. We could also add another scout or two to the staff. Passion would be the main thing, so someone who is a Redskins fan would be a plus.

the Redskins can't sign an unknown younger personnel guy for exactly the reason that the entrenched powers here would be too strong for him to overcome. For a semblance of order to be restored the GM candidate would have to be a Snyder hire and come in at a level where he would have some measure of equality with Gibbs.

that isn't going to happen if we are talking about a 35 year old mid-tier personnel guy with no independent track record.

the best personnel manager in the NFL is Scott Pioli. He has consistently found players to keep NE competitive and at the top levels of the NFL for a LONG time, given that free agency annually takes a percentage of your roster away due to defections and cap limitations.

If this is gonna happen it's gonna have to be a guy that would fit into the group that is over there currently, but would still have enough power to butt heads with GIBBS when nessesary. There are very few out there that could do that. A few items I have thought of as qualifications.

1. They need to have won at least one Super Bowl.

2. The person would have to be respected league wide, some up and comer I dont believe would work...see #1.

3. Having some decent knowledge of the current team might not be a HORRIBLE thing.

4. They need to be "available"...cant just go get Polin or Ozzie cause you want them, not without surrendering some draft picks...ugh...cant beleive I just typed that!:(

5. They need to understand Snyder and be respected by him as well. This I dont think is the hardest part of the sell believe it or not.

6. Obviously a good talent evaluator. Look at drafting history.

7. Someone who understands the tradition of the Redskins or the history behind a "prideful" franchise.

I'm sure there are more qualifications, feel free to add. I really think that narrows it down to only very few people. Now maybe I geared my questions for my answer, but I really think that the person is Ron Wolf.

I think he could fit into the group currently at Redskins park, at the same time be able to look at Gibbs and say...."Thats not the direction we should go". If Vinny stays, he has a history with him, I believe with ties back to SF. He is defintely respected league wide and is available. He lives local so should have decent knowledge of the team. Having seen what has occured here in the past few years he should see the difference with Snyder. He drafts well. There was no more storied and prideful team than the Packers.

A great fit as I see it.:logo:

Archived