Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cheating Dolphins?

twenty-eight

I'm sure you've all heard that the Dolphins had the Patriots Audio to go along with the game footage. They knew all of Brady's check-down's and pre-snap audibles. NFL Live spent the first ten minutes talking about how the phins cheated. Salisbury, Trey Wingo, and a few other said that it was cheating. John Clayton along with wilbon, Tony K and everyone on around the horn agreed that it wasnt cheating.

I think it was a smart move on Saban's part, Billichick is just pissed he didnt think about it first...

What do you guys think of all this?

I'm sure you've all heard that the Dolphins had the Patriots Audio to go along with the game footage. They knew all of Brady's check-down's and pre-snap audibles. NFL Live spent the first ten minutes talking about how the phins cheated. Salisbury, Trey Wingo, and a few other said that it was cheating. John Clayton along with wilbon, Tony K and everyone on around the horn agreed that it wasnt cheating.

I think it was a smart move on Saban's part, Billichick is just pissed he didnt think about it first...

What do you guys think of all this?

This happened against the team that snowplowed a path for a kicker?

To a team where the coach says his player has a sprained ankle when in fact it is throwing elbow.

This happened against the team that snowplowed a path for a kicker?

To a team where the coach says his player has a sprained ankle when in fact it is throwing elbow.

How long has Brady been on the injury report for his shoulder, I know I saw him on it all last year and this year. Its just part of the game.

I don't know where the link is zoony, but the story is that the dolphins obtained game footage where the Audio of Tom Brady is beefed up so you can hear everything he says. Therefore get his signals, and match the blocking schemes, and audibles to what he says.

What do you mean no team has audio? Watch a game on tv and you can hear a QBs calls. If they enhanced that, good on them.

What in your estimation is an "illegal source"? :laugh:

BB had the opportunity to change his audibles. He chose not to. This is part of the game. Definitely not cheating. Sounds like some well placed whining from the media who still adores Brady and the Pats.

I don't know where the link is zoony, but the story is that the dolphins obtained game footage where the Audio of Tom Brady is beefed up so you can hear everything he says. Therefore get his signals, and match the blocking schemes, and audibles to what he says.

Are you talking about the audio from where he is in the huddle? Or the audio from him at the line of scrimmage?

Big difference imho.

Thanks for the explanation btw

What do you mean no team has audio? Watch a game on tv and you can hear a QBs calls. If they enhanced that, good on them.

What in your estimation is an "illegal source"? :laugh:

BB had the opportunity to change his audibles. He chose not to. This is part of the game. Definitely not cheating. Sounds like some well placed whining from the media who still adores Brady and the Pats.

Agreed, but I think it is different if they have some kind of spy-mike picking up instructions in the huddle.

But if all of this is INDEED about what Brady says/doesn't say at the line of scrimmage, I would call it common sense, not cheating. As a matter of fact, I just kind of assumed ALL teams did this. :wtf:

I mean, O-cordinators hide their lips when they call a play for a reason, right?

I'm confused.

One Miami defender said it is common practice to take a TV tape of a game and enhance the volume to try to hear the quarterback's signals. The so-called "coaching" tapes supplied by the league to teams do not include audio. Television tapes often capture a quarterback's calls at the line of scrimmage because of the parabolic microphones used on the sideline.

Agreed, but I think it is different if they have some kind of spy-mike picking up instructions in the huddle.

That would absolutely be different.

If it's simply lucked into having a nice, neat package of the audibles and results, it's fair game (like I mentioned, any team could compile this...it would just take a long time). If they somehow got play-calls and everything else, then they cheated.

I doubt it's even possible, but why would it matter if a team was able to pick up the calls in the huddle from game tape? It's not like they'd be able to hear it out on the field. As for the audible thing, I'd be amazed if the other 31 teams aren't doing that already. Coaches get paid how much in this league?

Florio's thoughts on the matter.....

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

FINS DIDN'T BREAK ANY RULES

The NFL says that the Miami Dolphins broke no rules by securing New England Patriots game tapes with audio in preparation for Sunday's 21-0 drubbing of the AFC East leaders.

Per Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald, the league said that the Fins' efforts to determine the tendencies of Patriots quarterback Tom Brady regarding pre-snap protection adjustments do not constitute cheating, even if the Dolphins "purchased" the tapes.

''It's on TV,'' coach Nick Saban said on Tuesday. "You always try to get the other team's cadence. I'm sure they try to get ours, so when you know when a guy's checking off, when he isn't checking off. When a team does as much presnap stuff as they do, you're always trying to find out exactly why they're doing it.''

We're nevertheless intrigued by the manner in which the Dolphins acquired the tapes. Saban's explanation suggests that they merely recorded the CBS broadcast of the game, which would not have required the team to "purchase" anything, if someone in the organization has DirecTV and a DVR.

So did Miami acquire raw video with field audio from the networks that have carried New England games this year? (NBC has aired two New England games, ESPN has televised one, FOX has televised one, and CBS has carried the balance.)

If so, did the Fins pay for it? If so, how much?

Did the transaction(s) occur between the Fins and the networks, or between the Fins and someone with access to the information, on an "under the table" basis?

Did they also pay someone from one of the networks to "synch up" the audio and video?

Have the Dolphins acquired similar tapes for other teams on their schedule?

We're not suggesting that this matter should launch an investigation along the lines of tracking down the origins of a plate of radioactive sushi, but based on the clip we saw last night on NFLN of Saban explaining the situation we developed a distinct feeling that the process was slightly more involved than Nick calling up the wife and asking her to fire up the TiVo for the game between the Patriots and the Bills.

One Miami defender said it is common practice to take a TV tape of a game and enhance the volume to try to hear the quarterback's signals.

Well that would be cheating then unless the person taking the TV tape has the expressed written consent from the NFL.

Earlier today on the NFLN they asked Takeo Spikes about it, I thought he brought up a very interesting point. He talked about how the offense always has an unfair advantage, especially since the QB has a mic in his helmet and the coach can talk to him until there is 15 seconds left on the play clock. He said more teams are running a hurry up offense or at least getting to the line quicker and coaches are reading the defense for the QB. I thought it was interesting...and i had never really thought about coaches doing this.

I can't believe they allow those dumbass microphones in the helmets.

rule changes I would make if I were commissioner for a day.

1. Game MUST be played outdoors on GRASS. If you want to play on turf, fine... but your players all have to wear tutus and pink lipstick.

2. NO replay

3. No Helmet Mics

4. No technology of any sort involved in the game. (I'm sure a lawyer could word that one better, lol)

here's a different article about what the players thought............

Brady audio overstated; quarterback barks back at Fins

Dec. 13, 2006

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Turns out all that talk about the Dolphins deciphering the signals Tom Brady was barking out was a lot of noise about not very much.

Advertisement

Except, perhaps, for a bit of humor.

The tale began unfolding Monday when two unidentified Miami players reportedly said that before their 21-0 win over the Patriots last Sunday, the Dolphins "bought" recordings that included audio of Brady calling signals in previous games.

"I'm a little late today because I was watching TV tape," Dolphins coach Nick Saban said with a grin as he began his news conference Wednesday in Miami.

Even the usually somber Bill Belichick turned comedic when asked if there's any other source of game audio than a television broadcast.

"Satellite," the Patriots coach said to laughter at his own news conference. "Technology, that's not really my thing. I can barely turn the computer on and off."

The usually diplomatic Brady showed a feisty side when he shot down the notion the Dolphins somehow had a huge advantage because they found a new way to figure out what "hut-1, hut-2" means.

"I would love to see evidence of that," the Patriots quarterback said three days after he threw for 78 yards, was sacked four times and was hurried many more. "They can say that, but I think that is a big crock of you know what."

The Palm Beach Post on Monday quoted the unnamed players saying the team "bought" tapes that included audio, but Saban indicated they may have been confused and said the team used past telecasts.

"It probably sounds good for them to say that they have it all figured out," Brady said, "but, you know, they're 6-7 and we're 9-4, so you tell me who's got it more figured out."

Lately, that would be the Dolphins.

They're 5-1 in their last six games, while the Patriots are 3-3 and nearly lost to Detroit, which is tied with Oakland for the worst record in the NFL at 2-11.

New England committed 11 turnovers and 23 penalties in the last three games.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9869226/rss

Archived