Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PDN "'Skins' Campbell a young leader"

FrFan

'Skins' Campbell a young leader

By STEVE KING

kings@phillynews.com

For the first time in his brief NFL career, Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell heads into work each morning feeling he's a part of something.

"It's exciting to actually know your a part of the team," said Campbell, who is in his second year in the league. "At first, you know that you are a part of the team, but you just don't feel like it because all you're doing is watching from the outside trying to figure out what's going on. Now that you're playing, you feel like you're right in the middle of things."

Campbell will make his fourth start of the season Sunday afternoon when the Redskins host the Eagles at FedEx Field

After struggling to get the ball downfield in the first matchup of the season between the two teams 4 weeks ago, Redskins coach Joe Gibbs was forced to yank quarterback Mark Brunell from the starting role in favor of Campbell.

In the three starts he has made this season, Campbell has thrown for 531 yards while completing just over 50 percent (48-of-95) of his passes along with five touchdowns.

Spending much of his rookie year as the Redskins third quarterback, Campbell, who has thrown three interceptions, said he feels he has done a good enough job these past three weeks to earn the respect of his teammates.

"I feel like have it," said Campbell, the Redskins first-round selection in the 2005 draft. "When you first start playing, guys don't know what to think. They see you in practice, but until you do it in the game... that's where you earn your respect. I feel like the last couple of weeks I've been able to get that a little more."

Under his command, the Redskins are just 1-2. Prior to getting his first start, the Redskins had already begun to crumble, suffering through a streak in which they lost four of five games, including a 27-3 loss to the Eagles on Nov. 12.

With the Redskins at 4-8 with virtually no shot at making the playoffs, Gibbs seems content focusing on preparing Campbell to be the quarterback of the future in Washington.

Gibbs said he and his staff did a lot of research on Campbell prior to drafting him. Gibbs was most impressed with Campbell's intelligence and character, and said he sees a bright future for the young quarterback.

"It's still a process with him," said Gibbs, who earlier this week said he had every intention of fulfilling the remaining2 years left on his 5 year contract he signed out of retirement in 2004.

"He's a young guy and has had some tough assignments and obviously this will be a tough one this week going up against Philly. It seems like we never do well against Philly. Their defense is tough so this will be a huge challenge for him."

If the Eagles play as they have against other teams with inexperienced quarterbacks under center this season, Campbell may not be too challenged.

In games against Tampa Bay and Tennessee, both teams had rookie quarterbacks in Brad Gradkowski and Vince Young, and in both games the Eagles came up short.

Eagles cornerback Rod Hood said the quarterbacks weren't the main reason for losses in those games. He did, however, give them credit for the job they did managing the game as a whole.

Hood, a teammate of Campbell's at Auburn, said that while Campbell may be young, the Eagles' defense can not afford to make any mistakes against him.

"He's a polished quarterback but more importantly he's smart," said Hood, who said he last spoke with Campbell the week he was named the Redskins' starter. "There are a lot of things he does under center that a lot of other rookie or inexperienced quarterbacks don't do. I think it will be a tough job for us to keep him from getting outside the pocket and trying to confuse him."

Campbell said he has learned to develop a sense of patience and calmness from the people closest to him.

Campbell's father, Larry, was his high school football team receivers coach as well as his AAU basketball coach. Campbell said his dad, as well as his mentor and former Redskins legend Doug Williams, are constantly stressing the importance of playing the game for what it's worth, making sure he has fun every time he steps on the field.

"I think I learn something new and get better every week," said Campbell. "I know I'm going to make some mistakes, it's a part of the growing process, but at the same time I'm trying to play the game to win, have fun and not be scared."

Was that really necessary???:doh:

Probably not neccessary, but he has a valid point. A positive article about a young black QB will not get near the attention as that other article, sadly.

It just gives me more reasons to root for this young man. Thanks to the original poster for providing the article.

So much of this forum seems to be about trying to tear players/people down... I will conclude with something I was told by my father, who lives by this much more than I am able to at times: "Great people talk about ideas and hopes, average people talk about things, small minded people talk about other people...."

Probably not neccessary, but he has a valid point. A positive article about a young black QB will not get near the attention as that other article, sadly.

It just gives me more reasons to root for this young man. Thanks to the original poster for providing the article.

So much of this forum seems to be about trying to tear players/people down... I will conclude with something I was told by my father, who lives by this much more than I am able to at times: "Great people talk about ideas and hopes, average people talk about things, small minded people talk about other people...."

Nice saying, but I just don't see how it is relevant here. This is a forum for the Redskins. A football team full of players/"people." How could we avoid talking about them?

Maybe I am missing the point. Sorry if I am.

Nice saying, but I just don't see how it is relevant here. This is a forum for the Redskins. A football team full of players/"people." How could we avoid talking about them?

Maybe I am missing the point. Sorry if I am.

I guess my point was how many people can't wait to chime in on any negative story about players, but how few chime in on positive ones... Such is the way though.

Admittedly 1/2 of the other thread were people posting in outrage over the article, but the other 1/2 were idiots and biggots chiming in on how the writer had a valid point about black Qb's. (He doesn't. There have been a lot more white Qb's who never won the big one than black Qb's who have not, both numerically and % wise...)

Thus my comment was in regards to the isightfulness of this post:

Will this thread get 11 pages like the "Black QBs are Dumb" thread?

(11 pages, we were not on pace to get 11 posts!)

Anyway nice to read a good story about what appears to be a really decent young man, and a talented young QB.

We as fans should cherish the article. Not to often anything positive is written about this team from the FO on down.

Much has been said on this board and others about how we need a GM and how our FO and Gibbs have no clue about personell. So ok, who hand picked Jason Campbell?

I think we have a gem here.

Don't you think maybe that's their point? What does it matter if he's black? You call them biggots and racists, but your post is racist also. Why do you act like it's so hard to find positive things written about a black QB? If you're a black QB are people only allowed to write good stuff about you or else they are racist for callin gyou out? If you suck, you suck. And if you are dumb, you are dumb. Black or white. No one cries when they call a white QB dumb, but if you say it about a black one you are only saying it cause he's black?

Personally, I couldn't give two ****s if Campbell was white, black or asian. If he can play, I want him under center for the Washington Redskins.

I like J.C. I like his calmness and demeanor. And I most definitely like his arm and overall strength.

Don't you think maybe that's their point? What does it matter if he's black? You call them biggots and racists, but your post is racist also. Why do you act like it's so hard to find positive things written about a black QB?

That is utter BS. I said people here like to tear players/ people down more than write positive things. Never mentioned race in that regard. I never said or even implied that: "it was hard to say something nice about Black QB's" as you state. Where the hell do you get that? Please post the quote using the quote feature....

You can talk all the crap you want but the fact is that the "black Qb's are stupid" thread had 11 pages in a few hours while this one has 12 posts in a day. That is pretty telling that the negative stuff atracts more attention here than the positive stuff, and noting that does not make someone "a racist too" jerk.

I am being generous to even include your troublemaking post where you simply make something up to prove god knows what...

Now you accuse me of being a racist for noticing a POPULAR thread about black Qb's being dumb and finding it distasteful and incorrect? For saying it is nice to see a positive article? You want to call someone out as racist by name then know what the hell you are saying and provide some proof...

Will this thread get 11 pages like the "Black QBs are Dumb" thread?

I know right! Campbell will be one of the bright spots in personnel management and someone who was probably hand - picked by Coach Gibbs. Not comparing Campbell to anyone, but you great QBs all struggled in their early years; like the Bradshaws and other notables. So we have a 2 QBs # 8 and 17 (yes I would keep #8, he adds stability. ) Doug is mentoring Campbell. Wow! And we also have a Super star RB in #26, we get that OL working witrh the skill positions on the outside. We would be right back in it. Cut the play book in half or more. Do what you do best against the entire sample. Parker for Pittsburgh just got a little crease and he burned them. The Steelers OL is doing something that ours are not doing. Right now our OL is not one that can take it to the next level, at least current results don't say so.

Archived