Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who Should Stay a Starter?

jivelikenice

Based on games through today's Falcon's game, here who I think should absolutely be back aty their current position:

Offense

O-Line: Samuels, Rabach, Randy Thomas

(Dockery has been up and down and Jansen has shown signs to fading. I'm not saying he shouldn't play but he should have to compete.)

Running Back: Portis, Betts, Rock, Sellars

(This is the only set position on the roster given we can re-sign Betts)

Wide Receiver: Moss

(I don't think Randel El has produced anythign special but he'll be back due to his contract...Ditto for Lloyd. Patten is gone and hopefully they can bring Espy up to the active roster)

QB: Campbell, Collins

(Brunell will most likely retire. We need to bring in or draft somebody to challenge Collins for the backup spot if MB does go)

Tight Ends: Cooley

(Haven't seen enough or Yoder to make up my mind. Fauria needs to go. I would liek to see Robert Johnson get another shot.)

Defense

D-Line: Griffin, Carter, Montgomery, Golston, Evans

(I don't think the line is a huge problem, Golston and Montgomery have been surprises with some upside. Carter is playing some good ball now and may be at least partially living up to his contract. Daniels should be in a rotational role now and Wynn needs to go)

Linebackers: M. Washington, McIntosh

(Lemar should not be a starter anymore and Holdman should not be in the league. I like Khary Campbell in his current role and would like to see McCune, Havner get a shot before the season ends. However middle linebacker is our biggest problem)

Corner: Rogers

(Everyone else is expendable, including Shawn due to injuries. Rogers has played better of as late and is still growing)

Safety: Taylor, Fox, Vincent

(AA has to go, Vincent would be a good vet to have around unless Shawn switches positions)

I can't say I disagree with almost anything you say here.

(I still say Duckett, damn the stupidity of not using him this year, it would if nothing else give defenses a different type of RB to watch out for)

Otherwise I hope the FO sees it the same way

The rest of the year should be open auditions, as it is usually when you are eliminated with a month to go.

Aside from the no-brainer locks (Moss, Portis, Taylor, Cooley and very few others) that should be the mentality heading into these last four weeks.

That's not saying that it will be, but it would be fun to see guys up on the big stage who haven't really gotten a shot yet...not to mention productive.

Based on games through today's Falcon's game, here who I think should absolutely be back aty their current position:

Offense

O-Line: Samuels, Rabach, Randy Thomas

(Dockery has been up and down and Jansen has shown signs to fading. I'm not saying he shouldn't play but he should have to compete.)

Running Back: Portis, Betts, Rock, Sellars

(This is the only set position on the roster given we can re-sign Betts)

Wide Receiver: Moss

(I don't think Randel El has produced anythign special but he'll be back due to his contract...Ditto for Lloyd. Patten is gone and hopefully they can bring Espy up to the active roster)

QB: Campbell, Collins

(Brunell will most likely retire. We need to bring in or draft somebody to challenge Collins for the backup spot if MB does go)

Tight Ends: Cooley

(Haven't seen enough or Yoder to make up my mind. Fauria needs to go. I would liek to see Robert Johnson get another shot.)

As far as i know, Betts is an UFA at the end of this year. If he keeps running like he is, we wont be able to resign him. There are plenty of teams that would want him to be their starting RB, and i doubt he would except anything we offer him to be our back up again.

As far as i know, Betts is an UFA at the end of this year. If he keeps running like he is, we wont be able to resign him. There are plenty of teams that would want him to be their starting RB, and i doubt he would except anything we offer him to be our back up again.

Could you blame Betts if he leaves? I think he's a goner. Why come back here? He's a career backup and the Skins will offer him backup money. Besides, I'd bet he'd like to play for a winner. Hurts to say that, but it's true.

What teams out there could really offer him a starting position? There are more running backs then starting positions available right now in the NFL. I think Betts would be back if he were promised a 3rd down role and roughly 10 carries per game. With him and Portis next year we might finally be able to return to Redskins football.

Also, although I felt Ladell played great and I'm a huge fan, if Portis were playing he could have gone for 200 today and turned some of those 15 yard runs into 50 yarders. Betts weakness is he allows himself to be tackled by the feet and ankles.

I agree with most of your list, but disagree on some things.

Marshall should stay, but be moved to weak side linebacker.

Randle El is definitely a keeper.

:logo:

I f we move Marshall back outside we are admitting that we wasted two 2nd rounders on a bust in Rocky. Given's Rocky's age I think he needs to be given the first crack at the outside position with Lemar available for fill in duty at all 3 linebacker spots.

Marshall would be best served in the Monte Coleman 3rd down role with his size and coverage ability. He just doesn't make enough plays in the running game and our run d has slipped since Pierce left.....

The rest of the year should be open auditions, as it is usually when you are eliminated with a month to go.

Aside from the no-brainer locks (Moss, Portis, Taylor, Cooley and very few others) that should be the mentality heading into these last four weeks.

That's not saying that it will be, but it would be fun to see guys up on the big stage who haven't really gotten a shot yet...not to mention productive.

Is Spencer Havner still around on the practice squad? It would be good to see him, McCune, and Espy get a shot in a couple of games down the stretch.

I can't say I disagree with almost anything you say here.

(I still say Duckett, damn the stupidity of not using him this year, it would if nothing else give defenses a different type of RB to watch out for)

Otherwise I hope the FO sees it the same way

I cannot see Duckett I think he was a wasted third round pick and heven knows we have had enough of them in the past but when he is given chances he does nothing with them . In a situation when Betts is putting up huge numbers Duckett has 4 carries 9 yards .

I don't see why you would take the ball out of the hands of the guy who is averaging 5.5 yard per carry to someone who can just about make 2 yards .

I think Betts is happy here in his role. He has a good attitude of "whatever the team needs". He compliments Portis well and would be a good 3rd down back, especially out of the backfield. I don't see many teams going after Betts as a starter. He would more than likely be in the same role he is in here. I do not see TJ sticking around, although I do like his size, Sellers could be used for short yardage situations.

I think the only stone cold starters are Campbell, Moss, Cooley, Washington, and Taylor.

Your kidding right? Are you saying that you think Portis, Samuels, Griffin and Thomas are going to be bumped? They are locks as well barring injury.

Realistically add Jansen, Carter, LLoyd, Sellers, Springs (if healthy) and probably Golston.

Thats 15 names right there. On the bubble would be Rodgers if we can pick up say Nate Clements and Marshall if we can pick up a MLB though he may slide outside. That leaves just LG and centre (and I think Dockery will be back so lets say just centre) on offense. LDE, WLB/MLB and CB and SS on the D.

I'm saying that we have maybe 5 spots up for grabs barring injury with the D needing the most attention. The LDE spot is the one we should address in the first round of the draft in my view.

Bottom line we have talent - especially on the O. Campbells development and getting some fresh blood on the D and everyone on the same page is the key to next offseason.

There's no way that Betts stays in Washington as a back up role. Though he doesn't have the numbers that Portis does, he was picked in the same year 5 spots behind Portis. Apparently the Redskins thought he was a quality back then, and he has showed it now. Betts moves on to a team that can get a starting running back at a price that doesn't cost them as much as it normally would in the draft.

banner.gif

Is Spencer Havner still around on the practice squad? It would be good to see him, McCune, and Espy get a shot in a couple of games down the stretch.

Havner was cut during the last cutdown, and I don't think was ever on the Practice Squad? If he was, he isn't now....

I do not think we will be able to keep Betts. Clinton Portis has said numerous times he would start for any other club. He has been auditioning well and he and Moss were bright spots on the offense yesterday IMO. I think Campbell is learning. That one INT was just silly and he should have just taken the sack but hey Romo sits to pee threw 2 INTS yesterday and so did Vince Young but both got great support from their D and won in the end.

Archived